Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Keep it Quiet

HS2 & Effects

Featured Posts

I have to say that I'd have a bit more belief in this white elephant HS2 if the line was actually being built where it is most needed, to link the Northern Cities (Leeds, Wakefield,Bradford, Halifax to Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool) across the Pennines. To supply yet another link to London graphically displays who it is intended to benefit, people in the South East. All that will happen by building the line to Birmingham is that those earning high wages in London (and therefore able to afford to travel on the train) will spread the cancer of high London house prices northwards towards Birmingham where the locals will then be priced out of their own market. With fast journey times to London (do we need to spend this sort of money just to save 30 minutes travel)  high paid Londoners  will be able to live in suburbs of Birmingham and work in the capital (praising how cheap property is compared to London).

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I have to say that I'd have a bit more belief in this white elephant HS2 if the line was actually being built where it is most needed, to link the Northern Cities (Leeds, Wakefield,Bradford, Halifax to Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool) across the Pennines. 

That's HS3.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does anyone know that nice Mr Corbyn's policy on HS2, should the Labour party get elected?

Will he be cancelling it or extending it?

Interesting question. The answer is eagerly awaited on Nightwatch.

Edited by Nightwatch

Two effects of HS2 will be the demolition of the Ibis Euston, from where I am sending this message, and the Bree Louise pub where I still be in about 5 minutes time. Shame about the latter.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

20 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Interesting question. The answer is eagerly awaited on Nightwatch.

A bit of a non question realy. There is more chance of seeing Jesus than Corbyn getting elected.

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Two effects of HS2 will be the demolition of the Ibis Euston, from where I am sending this message, and the Bree Louise pub where I still be in about 5 minutes time. Shame about the latter.

JP

It has had a stay of execution until January!

Tim

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

A bit of a non question realy. There is more chance of seeing Jesus than Corbyn getting elected.

Even so, I'd like to see him asked the question just to see him do that obfuscatey and squirmy thing he does when pressed on proper difficult questions e.g. does he support Brexit. 

• Happy 1

22 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Jesus? Who's he? Didn't he play football for somebody once.

he is currently at man city.  the Mecca of the North

On 27/09/2017 at 08:31, b0atman said:

How many would not need to travel if there was a system available which could be called Video conferencing ?

There is a desperate need to move more freight by rail rather than road.  The many container trains to be seen on the West Coast Main Line cannot be video conferenced.

George

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

There is a desperate need to move more freight by rail rather than road.  The many container trains to be seen on the West Coast Main Line cannot be video conferenced.

George

That's it sorted. WCML freight only, and all people movements done by black cabs.  :)

Edited by system 4-50
  • Happy 1

On 28/09/2017 at 18:57, Captain Pegg said:

JP

I prefer the Euston Tap myself. I've found the beer in the Bree Louise to be expensive and of variable quailty.

I was through Euston a while back and a lot of the trees in Euston Square had bands tied around their trunks indicating they were to be felled as part of HS2.

I think this will be a great shame.

Although I'm a railway enthusiast I can't help thinking HS2 is bad news.

On 9/30/2017 at 19:24, Victor Vectis said:

I prefer the Euston Tap myself. I've found the beer in the Bree Louise to be expensive and of variable quailty.

<Snip>

Agree that the beer in the Bree Louise can be hit and miss but the Euston Tap is not a favorite of mine, far too small and noisy. A good pint can normally be found in the The Doric Arch which is as good as on the concourse!

Tim

12 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Agree that the beer in the Bree Louise can be hit and miss but the Euston Tap is not a favorite of mine, far too small and noisy. A good pint can normally be found in the The Doric Arch which is as good as on the concourse!

Tim

I've never tried the Doric Arch as the beers available at the Euston Tap are far more interesting than run of the mill Fullers. I agree the ET is small the the toilets are a joke but I like sitting outside and watching the world go by.

I take back what I posted about the Bree Louise. I was there this afternoon and the beers I had (London Pale Ale, Southwark and American Black IPA, Stod Fold) were good.

It's a shame it's closing at the end of January.

On 26/09/2017 at 10:47, Mike the Boilerman said:

So you don't think the country needs better north/south transport then?

I don't understand why rail is considered important: goods arrive at my house via road not rail, and people round here travel in cars.

Maybe it is different if you live in the centre of London, but  I don't know why people need to entrain to and fro from N [Leeds?] to S [London?], just use the phone.

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Strangely, I can't paint my northern boat over the phone!

Uneccessary journey: move the northern boat to  your southern home, or pay someone in the N to paint your boat for you, labour is cheaper in t'north. You'll  earn far more ££££££££££££££££££££ lining your boilers for the stockbrokers.

ps, will you be using the train to travel with your paint pots brushes and coveralls? Will it be faster door to door?

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't understand why rail is considered important: goods arrive at my house via road not rail, and people round here travel in cars.

Maybe it is different if you live in the centre of London, but  I don't know why people need to entrain to and fro from N [Leeds?] to S [London?], just use the phone.

What you don't know though is what percentage of the journey was undertaken by rail.

Just because your parcel arrives at your door by road does not mean it's entire journey was completed thus.

47 minutes ago, MJG said:

What you don't know though is what percentage of the journey was undertaken by rail.

Just because your parcel arrives at your door by road does not mean it's entire journey was completed thus.

no, I don't, but they mostly arrive overnight, and when travelling at night on motorways it is heavy with trucks.

How much difference does it make if my parcel comes from London by rail, it would not make a gnats difference if it takes 5 hours or 4 hours 35mins by train. The time to put the parcel on a train and getting it off the train is dead time, a real waste of time.

I expect some containers go on trains, but I .ve never seen any round here.

Are you saying AMAZON/DHL/YODEL are pushing for H2S? 

Edited by LadyG

Rail accounts for less than 10% of all freight movement in the UK - the vast majority is transported by road.

45 minutes ago, LadyG said:

no, I don't, but they mostly arrive overnight, and when travelling at night on motorways it is heavy with trucks.

I expect some containers go on trains, but I .ve never seen any round here.

And the railways are heavy with freight at night.

When measured by ton/miles, more import/export freight to/from the major southern container ports like Southampton, London Gateway and Felixstowe, travels by rail than by road.

George

27 minutes ago, zimzim said:

Rail accounts for less than 10% of all freight movement in the UK - the vast majority is transported by road.

Only when measured by tons rather than ton/miles which distorts the figures a lot.

For example send one ton from London to Glasgow.  Measured in tons that is one ton by road and one ton by rail.  Measured by ton/miles that is 400 ton/miles by road and 400 ton/miles by rail.  So far so good.

NOW, move that one ton one mile by road from the factory in London to the railhead and one mile in Glasgow to the shop.  The figures now become:-

By road, one ton in London + one ton in Glasgow = TWO tons.  Measured by ton/miles that is TWO ton/miles.

By rail, is is only one ton because it is a single journey.  However measured by ton/miles that is 398 ton/miles, which is a more realistic measure of what has actually occurred.

I admit that more freight moves by road than by other means, but the percentage split is a lot closer when measured by a meaningful measure.

Unsurprisingly, measuring by tons is preferred by road haulage interests and the Department for Transport.

Sorry to bore you all!

George

56 minutes ago, zimzim said:

See above.

I'm not an HS2 supporter for the record, I was just addressing a specific point.

Sign in to follow this