Coal and Cotton Meeting - Liverpool

rogerb

Featured Posts

coalcotton1043.jpg

some boaters that are clearly in distress at the eldonian village basin ,notice how filthy they look due to the lack of water for washing "75 yards to tap" , as only one shower was available they endured great hardship.

anyone who knows the canal system will know showers are available in blocks of six every few miles "except in liverpool".

even worse toilet cassettes had to be emptied into the sewage system via a manhole or down the toilet ,unheard of anywhere else on the canals.

please note i am not pointing the finger at people in the photo,s as being the moaners they just happen to look such a forlorn bunch of boaters.

see events 2007 for my rant.

coalcotton1043.jpg

some boaters that are clearly in distress at the eldonian village basin ,notice how filthy they look due to the lack of water for washing "75 yards to tap" , as only one shower was available they endured great hardship.

anyone who knows the canal system will know showers are available in blocks of six every few miles "except in liverpool".

even worse toilet cassettes had to be emptied into the sewage system via a manhole or down the toilet ,unheard of anywhere else on the canals.

please note i am not pointing the finger at people in the photo,s as being the moaners they just happen to look such a forlorn bunch of boaters.

see events 2007 for my rant.

Facilities have to be improved on the Wigan to Liverpool stretch of the L & L - to spend 17 million pounds on the new link and then have no proper shower facilities, no proper pump-out and no proper toilets is madness.

I have been trying to make contact with MMBC without success - are you a member or does anyone reading this know of a member who has a mobile phone - if so the name and number would be helpful.

BW does not have the funds to do this but the NWDA does but I need to know what is needed before I approach them.

Take heart - things will improve but we only have 9 months to improve them!

I like your photos - come and take some for us after 2nd July - cant say who we are as that would be advertising - does anyone know? - if so please enlighten

Roger

nwda have given funds to sefton council but sefton canal corridor only goes as far as lydiate as far as i know ,the council say they are looking for public input into the plans they have for the canal.

you could contact will moody at sefton council as to what info they may have that could be useful to you.

i am not a member of the boat club so cant provide you with a number of any commitee members , they do have a well used bar at the clubhouse so it might be worth going down one night for a pint and a chat .

Edited by gaggle

It was nice to see canal boats in the docks, it gives an idea of what it might look like when the link is finished. I was a bit dissapointed that there werent any cruisers there just narrowboats. I couldnt see anything other than the boats when i was there no BW displays or stalls etc

17060710.jpg

red because of the building work on the link at the pier head LIVERPOOL CITY COUNCIL took the decision to move the MERSEY MARITIME EVENT down to the north docks and most of the stuff that would normally have been present at the albert dock was 1/ moved to the north docks . 2/cancelled altogether.

bw wrote some months ago to me and i assume all the other boats that were to attend the coal and cotton and informed me / us that the COUNCIL had cancelled and bw invited us all to withdraw from attending , bw could have said do not attend but the said it was up to the boaters if they went ahead or not.

some things going on within the city and at the docks all of which are free to everyone were featured in phamplets /leaflets that were in the shops /tourist info and other places if anyone wanted to find out about them.

some boaters thought they were the attraction and not the gospel chior,african musicians or the comedy of festival shows that were going on , they pretend they did not know or ignore the fact that they were forewarned by bw about the COUNCIL cancellation.

so when you say quite rightly that you seen no stalls or displays that was probably because it was cancelled a long time beforehand.

there was one cruiser type boat that was moored up next to the bw stage.

it is in a photo in events thread about 2007 birthday behind the narrowboat janine and its captain with a silly hat.

Edited by gaggle

It was nice to see canal boats in the docks, it gives an idea of what it might look like when the link is finished. I was a bit dissapointed that there werent any cruisers there just narrowboats. I couldnt see anything other than the boats when i was there no BW displays or stalls etc

17060710.jpg

Hello Red Star

I do hope that you have forgiven me for pinching your excellent photos - will you come and do some for us after 30th June?

Gaggle

My understanding is that proper pump-out and toilet facilities are required at Eldonian Village and in the Appley Bridge/Crooke area - could you please confirm? - I have a meeting with NWDA on other matters in a few weeks time -I can raise this with them at the same time.

Roger

i dont need a pump out as my boat has a cassette toilet but no doubt at some time in the future the eldonian village will be a place to put a pump out.

the pump out at wigan pier is it seems subject to constant vandelism and if the next one is lydiate boat club then appley bridge or crooke marina could well be likely spots to place a new one.

the waters edge pub could be another place for one , they could then attract some of the expected boats on the link run to stop and venture inside to sample the food and ales they offer.

i dont need a pump out as my boat has a cassette toilet but no doubt at some time in the future the eldonian village will be a place to put a pump out.

the pump out at wigan pier is it seems subject to constant vandelism and if the next one is lydiate boat club then appley bridge or crooke marina could well be likely spots to place a new one.

the waters edge pub could be another place for one , they could then attract some of the expected boats on the link run to stop and venture inside to sample the food and ales they offer.

Thanks Gaggle

Not much space at Appley Bridge but Crooke looks good - there is a suitable site there - Eldonian Village looks like a very suitable and needy place.

Signing off now till the end of September - Romance arrives tomorrow - come and see her when you have an hour or two to spare

Roger

.............................. Romance arrives tomorrow - come and see her when you have an hour or two to spare

Roger

Hope the venture goes well Roger. It will be good to see a boat-based business in my village. Be sure to support the local fuels boat Ambush. Perhaps he could be persuaded to install a mobile pump-out!

Noah

one fella at the albert dock was getting a list of boats that would like to go back on to the canal system via the ship canal but bw were having none of it , we would have had to go back out on to the mersey anyway but they did not want to know about some boats doing a left up to the ship canal.

the guy was looking at a dozen or more boats to join in this escapade but no no was the response from those in charge , i dont know if it was just down to bw or the ship canal company.

i could have done with another month cruising.