Grey engine oil and low oil pressure

efish__

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We're having issues with our Petter PH2W - recently the engine oil dropped to about 1bar so I pulled over and found that the oil had turned a grey colour and had doubled in volume. I did an oil change and ran her out of gear for 30 mins and all was okay but then when we got on the move the oil pressure started to drop steadily over the next hour down to zero. 

I know that there is water getting in somewhere and we had this problem a couple of years ago - the last time Rob at Rugby Boats fixed the problem by just changing a seal but I've forgotten which and where (guessing it was the heat exchange).

Could anyone enlighten me. I've ordered a whole new set of gaskets just in case it's an issue there but since it's happened before I'm hoping it will be the same solution. 

Pictures would be super helpful but any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Is it raw water cooled ? if yes is the water pump bolted to the engine & driven from the motor rather than by 'V' belt, if it is, it could be the pump seal allowing water into the inner motor through the driveshaft there is a seal on the pump where the drive for it protrudes from the pump body

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

It could be diesel leaking into the crank case via the fuel pumps or lift pump diafram or gasket, is the oil thin and smells a bit like diesel?

Neil

Not the main pumps on a Petter

Richard

21 hours ago, efish__ said:

Hi all,

We're having issues with our Petter PH2W - recently the engine oil dropped to about 1bar so I pulled over and found that the oil had turned a grey colour and had doubled in volume. I did an oil change and ran her out of gear for 30 mins and all was okay but then when we got on the move the oil pressure started to drop steadily over the next hour down to zero. 

I know that there is water getting in somewhere and we had this problem a couple of years ago - the last time Rob at Rugby Boats fixed the problem by just changing a seal but I've forgotten which and where (guessing it was the heat exchange).

Could anyone enlighten me. I've ordered a whole new set of gaskets just in case it's an issue there but since it's happened before I'm hoping it will be the same solution. 

Pictures would be super helpful but any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Pretty sure the faulty seal is on your water pump shaft. It is a common problem on those engines.

What is your boat name and I will check with Bob in the morning .

Stupid me, just realised who you are, definitely water pump.

Will try to enlighten you tommorow.

Edited by matty40s

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Pretty sure the faulty seal is on your water pump shaft. It is a common problem on those engines.

Not a lot of other possibilities really.

Richard

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

From the users picture, looks like what was Juniors Albion.

Ah great! Thanks everyone! Cheers Matty would be great if you could let me know! How is everyone at rugby boats? 

18 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Well, his profile does say NB Albion...

I still remember Junior being bemused at the comments he got cruising the BCN :D

Richard

Did he have the same problem? 

Just now, efish__ said:

Ah great! Thanks everyone! Cheers Matty would be great if you could let me know! How is everyone at rugby boats? 

James is doing an absolute whizz at Rugby Boats selling them before he even has them on his website and us at the workshops are now taking bookings for boat paints in 2019!! ☺

Just now, matty40s said:

James is doing an absolute whizz at Rugby Boats selling them before he even has them on his website and us at the workshops are now taking bookings for boat paints in 2019!! ☺

Wow sounds great! Our solar panels are still working great thank you! 

5 minutes ago, efish__ said:

Did he have the same problem? 

Err, no. He was cruising a boat with ALBION emblazoned on the sides in an area populated by supporters of The Villa, Blues, Wolves, Port Vale (?)

The only problem I know of Junior having was with balancing the fuel pumps, which I fixed below Welsh Road lock IIRC

Richard

Edited by RLWP

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Err, no. He was cruising a boat with ALBION emblazoned on the sides in an area populated by supporters of The Villa, Blues, Wolves, Port Vale (?)

The only problem I know of Junior having was with balancing the fuel pumps, which I fixed below Welsh Road lock IIRC

Richard

Port Vale is in Burslem. You could add Walsall.

And exactly how many PH2Ws do you have?

JP

• 2 weeks later...