GU Leicester Line closed from 27th Sept UFN

frangar

Featured Posts

Just got this email.....not much notice if you are on your way!

Notice Alert

Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)
Starts At: Lock 30 - Kilby Lock
Ends At: Lock 38 - Kings Lock

Wednesday 27 September 2017 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Following a prolonged period of dry weather over last autumn, winter and spring, some of the reservoir holdings that supply the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal are lower than we would normally expect at this time of year.

Some of the reservoirs, which did not fully refill last winter and have not responded significantly to the recent rainfall, are close to reaching their minimum levels. As a consequence we are temporarily, and reluctantly, closing the canal between Kilby Lock 30 and Kings Lock 38 from 3pm on Wednesday 27 September.

By closing this section of canal now we will give the reservoirs a longer period to refill over the winter ready for next year’s boating.

We can’t at this stage give any details on how long the closure may last but we will keep you updated as the situation progresses.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11598/kilby-lock-to-kings-lock-

Ridiculous management decision.

They cant be bothered to fill pounds below Kilby Bridge.

Why not just shut the entire length from Saddington tunnel winding hole if the flight is short of water. Every boat using the flight down to Kilby is going to waste just as much water as a boat continuing to Leicester.

Indeed...... they sent this email out at same time....arse & elbow spring to mind!!!

Notice Alert

Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)
Starts At: Lock 36 - Gees Lock
Ends At: Lock 35 - Whetstone Lane Lock

Monday 18 September 2017 until Tuesday 26 September 2017 23:59

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Water resources

Update on 21/09/2017:

We are experiencing regular problems at this moment with the water levels and we ask boaters to proceed with caution.

Our water control team are on site every day to monitor the levels as best they can. 

Update on 19/09/2017:

Water levels have started to come back up and this section is currently navigable again.

However, we are experiencing regular problems at this moment with the water levels and we ask boaters to proceed with caution.

Our water control team are on site every day to monitor the levels as best they can. 

Update on 19/09/2017:

We are currently experiencing low water levels between Gees Lock and Whetstone Lock, which means this section is temporarily unnavigable for our customers. 

Our Water Control Team are on site, and are working to get the water levels back to normal as quickly as possible. 

We aim to have this section navigable by the end of today.

Original message:

We are currently experiencing low water levels between Gees Lock and Whetstone Lock, which means this section is temporarily unnavigable for our customers. 

Our Water Control Team are on site, and are working to get the water levels back to normal as quickly as possible. 

We aim to have this section navigable by the end of today.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11577/between-gees-lock-and-whetstone-lock

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Ridiculous management decision.

They cant be bothered to fill pounds below Kilby Bridge.

Why not just shut the entire length from Saddington tunnel winding hole if the flight is short of water. Every boat using the flight down to Kilby is going to waste just as much water as a boat continuing to Leicester.

I suspect that the state of the locks below Kilby means that it's costing then a lorra water to keep the pounds there up. These have been getting worse for years and there were already going to be phased closures in that section in October to patch things up. Sounds like they've decided not to use water in excess of what comes down with boats to Kilby to keep filling it up. There won't be many boats down to Kilby anyway if it's a dead end.

That makes the decision for us. We have a winter mooring at Crick from the middle of November and we're coming from the North, so it's up Braunston flight before bonfire night when it closes.

MP.

45 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

More likely to be due to the constant leakage of the locks down to Leicester, causing CRT to constantly be running down water

In that case, why is not a single one of those locks down for Winter maintenance??

Edited by matty40s

10 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

There are lots of pre-winter (ie October) stoppages on them, announced a week or two back.

MP.

Well lets hope they do a better job than they did at Ervens Lock. We stopped Saturday night below Gees Lock then struggled up the next 2 pounds on the Sunday, with the help of one man from CRT. On approaching Ervens Lock I first thought a noat wax descending due to the amount of disturbance in the water below the gates. But no, it was leakage from the cill. Once in the lock, a similar amount of leakage from under the top gates. 

So all that security fencing, crane boat, rented generator, etc. All still on site. How much cost to replace 4 wooden strips and repair some brickwork in the culvert?

It doesn't matter, it's a different worksheet and contractor so will not get done.

I was chatting to some ex CRT lads surveying that earlier in the year, they know about the problems but are not allowed to do anything other than is on their worksheets, even though they walk past it on the way to the culvert .

They don't even carry windlass' unless they are required to use them as part of the works specified. 

• 1 month later...

CRT have announced thatb it will open on Saturday 4th and Saturday 25th November from 9am with no stopping and last passage to begin before noon. There may be dates in December depending on demand.

Still screws up our cruising plans for November!!

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

CRT have announced thatb it will open on Saturday 4th and Saturday 25th November from 9am with no stopping and last passage to begin before noon. There may be dates in December depending on demand.

Still screws up our cruising plans for November!!

What will open??

What time will it open??

The section from Kilby to kings lock? ?

Edited by matty40s

48 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What will open??

What time will it open??

The section from Kilby to kings lock? ?

On Saturday 4th November and Saturday 25th November, the Leicester Line will be open between Kings Lock’s and Kilby Lock from 9am, with the last passage in either direction from either of these locks at Noon.

Now I read that initially as meaning boats have 3 hours to get from Kilby to Kings which is obviously not doable. So I guess there is one too many either in CRT email. 

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

On Saturday 4th November and Saturday 25th November, the Leicester Line will be open between Kings Lock’s and Kilby Lock from 9am, with the last passage in either direction from either of these locks at Noon.

Now I read that initially as meaning boats have 3 hours to get from Kilby to Kings which is obviously not doable. So I guess there is one too many either in CRT email. 

I assume it means last entry at noon.

Got stuck solid on the mud mid channel above Kings 2 years ago (30" draft tug) this isn't new and they know all about it they just don't care.

Perhaps one day we will get an admission that none of this is low water levels but actually high mud levels (as is also the case on the Oxford summit) - note to self "dredging doesn't help cyclists" so I suppose as a mere cruising boater this is a vain hope....................keep taking our money guys.

On 9/22/2017 at 09:48, pearley said:

So all that security fencing, crane boat, rented generator, etc. All still on site. How much cost to replace 4 wooden strips and repair some brickwork in the culvert?

Back in the day  No "Leccy" just hand tools Set of sheer legs "No crane boat" & between 1/2& a full days stoppage no idea of the cost over inflation compares

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just had a delivery come through, Pillings’s lock to Buckby bottom lock. 

Leaving on the 23rd to get to Kings lock in plenty of time, then I’ve got a window of 3 hours to do 5 miles and 8 locks. 

Route planner is predicting 3 hours 18 mins. 

Now I don’t see a problem unless.......

9 hours ago, nigel carton said:

I’ve just had a delivery come through, Pillings’s lock to Buckby bottom lock. 

Leaving on the 23rd to get to Kings lock in plenty of time, then I’ve got a window of 3 hours to do 5 miles and 8 locks. 

Route planner is predicting 3 hours 18 mins. 

Now I don’t see a problem unless.......

They asked me to do that yesterday if it's the one via Smudge. I am alread6 booked that weekend so passed it over.

It isn' a difficult stretch.......IF they start running water down early, IF they have cleared the bywashes of reeds beforehand. ....and if the Soar is playing nicely for you to get there.

Friday nights rain stuck a foot of fresh and in amber on the river for 24 hours, back to normal now.

I will keep you posted.

Edited by matty40s