Skipton

beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Featured Posts

We've been here three days now, and yes it's a wonderful little town. I can't think of anywhere better on the canal system to be honest. And the butcher on the corner (opposite the church) is fantastic, pork pies and sausages like every town had years ago!

Pennine Cruisers are friendly and helpful and everyone just seems so, well, nice!

it will be difficult to leave ........

WE spent several nights in June in this delightful town and will and have recommended it to any of our friends travelling to the UK. WE all get a biased view from any town when we either have a good or bad experience there. WE believe that we visited some of the best the canals have to offer on both the L & L and the Rochdale this year and can't wait to go back there.

4 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Very High prow - sticks out further than the button fender. Prow at window height so any impact with another boat is not usually without significant damage.....

Aha! Gotcha! I thought you had some inside knowledge about the boat. Pretty certain we didn't hit anything on our trip in 1974. Remember being one of the few narrowboats around - most of the other vessels were cabin cruisers but there were some real oddities too!

Lovely place Skipton, no restrictive mooring restrictions even near "posh" flats.

So the boat behind us has just started running his engine at 7.05am How long before it all changes?

Come on folks, have a little sense please! The same boat ( you know who you are if you're reading this!) was also running it after 8pm a couple of nights ago. I guess this is how the Saltaire restrictions started?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Lovely place Skipton, no restrictive mooring restrictions even near "posh" flats.

So the boat behind us has just started running his engine at 7.05am How long before it all changes?

Come on folks, have a little sense please! The same boat ( you know who you are if you're reading this!) was also running it after 8pm a couple of nights ago. I guess this is how the Saltaire restrictions started?

And this is how moorings were lost in Lancaster. Sadly, some people never learn or care, and one of the regular over-stayers there continued to run his engine after the curfew from the moorings directly opposite those that were lost. I knocked on his boat at 10pm one night and reminded him that we had already lost several moorings (a fact which he would be fully aware of) and if he continued running his engine we could lose more. He did turn his engine off without a fuss but whether he did it again I don't know. If you're not comfortable challenging these people yourself please report to CRT or do both.

1 minute ago, Peter Thornton said:

And I'm not surprised! We are leaving today, back to our home mooring at Overwater, and will be buying a last pork pie and saying a reluctant goodbye to a wonderful small market town.

I fly into UK next Tuesday for 2 weeks, whereupon i shall feast on pork pies and other delicacies, and proper beer.

2 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Not sure how long you've been away, but be aware that a good pork pie will take a little hunting down! 

I visit about 2-3 times a year, if you have not had one for 6 months then even a crap one is good, luckily we have some good butchers with homemade products in Bristol. I live in Kosovo, a muslim country so no pork pies here.

On 9/27/2017 at 08:46, Peter Thornton said:

If you can find a butcher who makes their own pies then you've struck gold! Stick with them ..........

Try the Pie & Mash cafe on the wharf. alll the pies are home made,and they do frozen take away ones too.