Planning Proposal - Macclesfield Canal - Marple

1st ade

Featured Posts

Mods - please delete if inappropriate or move if in wrong place.

Attached is a request from Marple Local History Society. I'm not telling (or even asking) you to respond as requested but please read and do as you see fit.

Apart from the points raised, I have two concerns (I grew up in Marple from 1971 to 1984 and still visit roughly monthly)

• The mooring space for New Horizons; the trip boat for the less able bodied is being much reduced. I remember this boat being launched by Prince Charles and surely those less fortunate than us deserve a decent space to board, not shoved into a corner.
  • If this development goes ahead I give it six months before the new residents apply to CRT to stop those "obnoxious boaters" making use of the mooring rings opposite our nice new home. The fact that people have moored there for decades will not matter; I don't want to look out of my house and see boaters who have just conquered Marple flight tied up while they do a little shopping, let alone visit the Ring o'bells just beyond the next bridge.

170908 Newsletter v3.0 .pdf

28 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Attached is a request from Marple Local History Society. I'm not telling (or even asking) you to respond as requested but please read and do as you see fit.

Apart from the points raised, I have two concerns (I grew up in Marple from 1971 to 1984 and still visit roughly monthly)

• The mooring space for New Horizons; the trip boat for the less able bodied is being much reduced. I remember this boat being launched by Prince Charles and surely those less fortunate than us deserve a decent space to board, not shoved into a corner.
  • If this development goes ahead I give it six months before the new residents apply to CRT to stop those "obnoxious boaters" making use of the mooring rings opposite our nice new home. The fact that people have moored there for decades will not matter; I don't want to look out of my house and see boaters who have just conquered Marple flight tied up while they do a little shopping, let alone visit the Ring o'bells just beyond the next bridge.

I have read it and will write. Its one of my fave bits of the system and the Ring o bells brings back great boating memories.

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

There are new houses at the other end on that stretch: they were in progress two years ago when we were last in Marple and now they're finished. Very good they look too. A terrace, about the same density as this development (and the other houses in the same area). Moorings still available opposite. The area in question is a real eyesore, development will tidy it up and make money for CRT. Boaters get a new sani-station. What's not to like?

Cheers,

MP.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

There are new houses at the other end on that stretch: they were in progress two years ago when we were last in Marple and now they're finished. Very good they look too. A terrace, about the same density as this development (and the other houses in the same area). Moorings still available opposite. The area in question is a real eyesore, development will tidy it up and make money for CRT. Boaters get a new sani-station. What's not to like?

Cheers,

MP.

As I said - I'm not asking you to complain; I'm asking you to read and do what you think fit (and, as others have observed, restoration as housing might be preferable to falling into the canal...)

13 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Interesting that the new toilet/elsan/refuse block is to be situated next to the "luxury" conversion of the old warehouse.

I wonder how long that will survive before the new owners complain and have it closed (if it gets built in the first place)?

George

Very likely. That is happening at Marsworth.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Very likely. That is happening at Marsworth.

The planning portal for Stockport does not seem to be accepting visitors at the moment, but when it does I will be objecting, pointing out just how much CRT are playing down the very existence of an amenity block on the current site, let alone the need for its retention.

All very much par for the course with CRT in this area.

George

9 hours ago, furnessvale said:

The planning portal for Stockport does not seem to be accepting visitors at the moment, but when it does I will be objecting, pointing out just how much CRT are playing down the very existence of an amenity block on the current site, let alone the need for its retention.

All very much par for the course with CRT in this area.

George

I have managed to enter the planning portal and posted the below letter of objection,

This site has an amenity block, much used by boaters such as me, which includes a toilet, facilities to dispose of sewage, fresh water standpipe and skips for refuse.

CRT have made very little mention of this and appear to be trying to gloss over its existence. They are proposing to install new facilities but the location of these leaves much to be desired.

The facilities share the same waterside mooring as the relocated NEW HORIZONS(NH) trip boat. Any boater wishing to use the new facilities will have to tie outside the NM, then CLIMB OVER the NM to the bank, carrying bags of refuse, a hosepipe for water, a toilet cassette or even a pumpout hose for bulk sewage removal.

To compound matters, the location of this facility is immediately next to the luxury development of the old warehouse. What the new residents of this luxury house will make of sewage hoses and skips of rubbish beneath their windows beggars belief.

Having obtained planning permission, CRT have a track record of quietly removing boaters facilities from the scheme leaving boaters with nowhere to dispose of rubbish and sewage. The potential for fly tipping and illegal sewage dumping is obviously increased.

I object to this proposal unless a firm condition that the facilities for boaters MUST be built and kept in use. The potential effect on the value of their "luxury house" is a matter for CRT to consider.

George

• Greenie 1

From what I have read of the plans/supporting documents, they show that New Horizons will retain their current mooring but will have to move the boat onto the service point to embark/disembark guests. They loose their current carpark/store (a house will be on it) but are getting a store room next to the new service station and a parking space for a minibus.  Hopefully any future owners/tenants of houses will notice the moorings and services before they buy any properties!

8 hours ago, Foggy said:

Hopefully any future owners/tenants of houses will notice the moorings and services before they buy any properties!

I can think of numerous examples where this has not been the case, ranging from canal facilities to churches via public houses and greyhound stadiums...