Featured Posts

Since coating my fresh water tank with potable bitumen I have a brown contamination in the water. I have filled and emptied the tank many times and still have a residual brown tinge and an earthy smell especially from the hot side. I collected a sample and left it to settle, see picture. From an existing topic on water tank coating someone suggested an algae had formed. I put a water sterilizing tablet in the glass of sludge and it just made the sludge float. I am draining the tank down soon for winter. Can anyone suggest what I should do to sterilize the whole system.

IMG_4665.JPG

Brown sludge from the hot water side could be from the hot water cylinder, we get this from time to time especially if the tank has been disturbed or system has been drained. (Its a copper tank by the way)

Edited by Bee
missed a bit

If from the hot side, then contamination in tank is probable, but you say 'mainly from the hot side' so there may be something that is more noticeable in hot water.

I can only suggest when you empty the cylinder you flush it thoroughly, and when refilling the system, use some purification tablets, available from most chandlers.

If you are draining the tank anyway, then open it up and see what is going on inside. 

Did you allow the bitumen to fully cure in fresh air before sealing it up. (depending on weather conditions and ventilation it may take a long time)