12 v circulation pump any good ones ???

denboy

Featured Posts

i need to fit a 12v circulation pump that will last most that are on offer dont last long

running 240v through the inverter drains the bats to quick any help appreciated

Have just fitted two Aquafax Viking 32 12v punps for toilet waste pump out - too early to say how effective they are.

Aquafax say they are great - what else would they say?

Does anybody have experience of these pumps - they should save a fortune in pump-outs if they work and don't clog.

Roger

Hi there,

When you say ciculation pump I assume you mean heating circulation. If so I recommend A Bolin pump, very reliable & miniscule current draw. Also very quiet running, we have ours running for months at a time when the oil heating's on. You'll find them on the web.

Regards,

Pete.

Hi there,

When you say ciculation pump I assume you mean heating circulation. If so I recommend A Bolin pump, very reliable & miniscule current draw. Also very quiet running, we have ours running for months at a time when the oil heating's on. You'll find them on the web.

Regards,

Pete.

thanx do you know anyone who stocks them ive crawled internet can not find anybody who stocks them

The bolin pump is not a powerful circulation pump and won't necessarily be effective. Johnson pump (approx 1amp) is more likely to work for example if heated water is required to go downwards this is when the bolin will struggle. Uxbridge boat centre should have both and advice too.

the johnson pumps do not last i know of 3 boaters that do not rate them ,they are not desighned for permanent running they do not last the winter season and have to be replaced

regards denis

Interesting information about the johnson pump good to know. I have a self circulating system which doesn't use any power and sends hot water to rads 20ft either side, only 'disadvantage' is the large bore exposed pipework.

thanx gary looks like the right thing how many you got ????

Have sent you a PM.

If you want a good reference for pumps look HERE it's a fairly big PDF!

If you would like a fairly definitive guide to what's available for fitting out or repairing a boat you can get the CBB Interactive CD free HERE (A lot more than pumps on it too!)

Edited by Gary Peacock

the johnson cm30p is the only one ive come across but they arent ment to be run continuously they have a 50000 hr life then they die

I work that out as being about 5 years. Sounds like a reasonable runtime for a pump to me.

Denis, you do not say what it is that you are circulating but assuming that it is central heating water from a back boiler my experience might give you another option. The life of the pump and the efficiency of the heating system was improved by installing a pipe thermostat on the hot water outlet from the boiler. This was then wired via a relay to a Johnsons circulation pump (faultless for many years). Once the water has reached the temperature set on the thermostat ( variable with a dial) the pump kicks in and the hot water is fired round. Our pump only ran for a few minutes an hour and we avoided just shoving luke warm water round the system. The thermostat should only cost about £15.00 and you may not need the relay ( the thermostats are designed for 240 volts so we used a relay to keep the current down) Oh, and the boat was always cosy!

Denis, you do not say what it is that you are circulating but assuming that it is central heating water from a back boiler my experience might give you another option. The life of the pump and the efficiency of the heating system was improved by installing a pipe thermostat on the hot water outlet from the boiler. This was then wired via a relay to a Johnsons circulation pump (faultless for many years). Once the water has reached the temperature set on the thermostat ( variable with a dial) the pump kicks in and the hot water is fired round. Our pump only ran for a few minutes an hour and we avoided just shoving luke warm water round the system. The thermostat should only cost about £15.00 and you may not need the relay ( the thermostats are designed for 240 volts so we used a relay to keep the current down) Oh, and the boat was always cosy!

thanx for that yes it is central heating my problem is i am running pipes from one side of the boat to the other under the floor

thanx for that yes it is central heating my problem is i am running pipes from one side of the boat to the other under the floor

Running the pipes under the floor does not create a problem with this system - the problem that you will have if you fit a circulation pump that runs constantly is that the water passes through the backboiler to fast to collect enough heat. A thermostat gives you lots of options for controlling flow and temperatures when combined with a good stove.