Isambard kingdom Brunel???

Paul Myatt

Featured Posts

Thank you for your rude comment, if you can't make constructive comments I think you should not post!

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

It's currently licensed so must still be cruising. 

Thank you!

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Is this the converted BCN Day boat one?

No this was I narrowboat 

4 minutes ago, Paul Myatt said:

Thank you for your rude comment, if you can't make constructive comments I think you should not post!

In defense of Mark99 I think a little humour brightens up the forum!

2 hours ago, Paul Myatt said:

Does anybody now where the Isambard Kingdom Brunel is please, this was the first Narrowboat I went on 40 years ago!., seen that it was last registered in 2014.

your help with my search would be weclomed 

Was it 40 years ago, seem to remember it being built  and I only started boating in 1982.

I think I knew the owner as a volunteer on the Severn Valley Railway.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

9 minutes ago, Paul Myatt said:

Welcome to CWDF, Paul. If the boat is still around, it's a good bet that someone on here will know it (or even own it).

As you joined the forum only three hours ago, perhaps it is a little early for you to be suggesting what long-standing members should or should not post.

I hope this comment is constructive.

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Was it 40 years ago, seem to remember it being built  and I only started boating in 1982.

I think I knew the owner as a volunteer on teh Severn Valley Railway.

Tim

Yes it was when I left school in 1976 the hot summer we took it down the grand union and on to the Thames up to Reading, it was owned by two teachers at Harrow boys school.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Is this the converted BCN Day boat one?

15 minutes ago, Paul Myatt said:

No this was I narrowboat 

??????

A converted BCN day boat is a narrowboat!

You referred to 40 years ago, so clearly we are not talking about a recent narrow boat are we?

If it is this one......

Isambard Kingdom Brune Built by Bantock - Length : 21.336 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518248 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Other boat names on this licence plate (May be Historical Data)

Isambard Kingdom Brunel Built by Bantock - Length : 21.336 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518248 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

then "Bantock" identifies it as being exactly what I asked.  So is it this one?

Edited by alan_fincher

5 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The only IKB's listed there seem to be either 69 or 70 feet long. One is a Bantock, a very old make of boat which would certainly have been in existence 40 years ago, so that could be the one you're looking for.

Edit: Mr. Fincher beat me to it by a whisker.

If this is the boat I'm thinking about, it was in the Milton Keynes area in the early 2000's. it had a wooden top, and this was ripped off and everything inside cleaned out.

it then went to one of the well- known restorers - brinklow or wfb or similar and I saw it afterwards once or twice but haven't seen it since.

i'm fairly sure it had a steel cabin conversion - anyway I remember it looked good!

i'm really dredging the memory here, but I think it belonged to an elderly man, and after his death his family were the ones who took on the work in his memory.

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

If this is the boat I'm thinking about, it was in the Milton Keynes area in the early 2000's. it had a wooden top, and this was ripped off and everything inside cleaned out.

it then went to one of the well- known restorers - brinklow or wfb or similar and I saw it afterwards once or twice but haven't seen it since.

i'm fairly sure it had a steel cabin conversion - anyway I remember it looked good!

i'm really dredging the memory here, but I think it belonged to an elderly man, and after his death his family were the ones who took on the work in his memory.

5 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Thank for the info!, looks like it is that boat,  I live by the cauldon canal and don't have a boat so sorry I misunderstood your post 

We picked up the boat from somewhere near Watford, so Milton Keynes is not that far away!.

the  boat was wooden so sounds like this could be the boat.

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome to CWDF, Paul. If the boat is still around, it's a good bet that someone on here will know it (or even own it).

As you joined the forum only three hours ago, perhaps it is a little early for you to be suggesting what long-standing members should or should not post.

I hope this comment is constructive.

I note for comments any am sorry if I over stepped the mark, if I had had more posts with Mark99 I might have taken his joke and not as a dig at me

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Google shows that Whilton sold it some time back but doesn't give a date. 

Are you looking at this.....

Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Whilton Marina

1989, 68ft. Traditional Style Narrowboat. ... Narrowboats for Sale. Realise your dream... 01327 842577. Pintrest Facebook Twitter Google Plus Youtube Blog

If so, that says 1989, so can't be a boat that existed 40 years ago.

(There seem to be two boats with this name, the Bantock one, and a Brummagem Boats built one.)

Edited by alan_fincher

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Are you looking at this.....

If so, that says 1989, so can't be a boat that existed 40 years ago.

(There seem to be two boats with this name, the Bantock one, and a Brummagem Boats built one.)

Ahah! Yes, you're quite right. I was looking at the Brummagem one. 

9 minutes ago, Paul Myatt said:

I note for comments any am sorry if I over stepped the mark, if I had had more posts with Mark99 I might have taken his joke and not as a dig at me

Fair comment. Yes, you will get used to the humour of some members on here!

Without wanting to get into an argument it was not meant to be funny.

I'm nearly sure the OP is genuine and so are his reasons but you got to respect the privacy of a boater who may not want the boat to be found to be honest by a poster of no know history.

Edited by mark99