Union Canal and Cyclists

Heartland

Featured Posts

A recent report on improving cycling along the Union Canal in Scotland has received finance from Sustrans and looks at the ways the towpath might be improved for cycling including alternative routes around tight spots. The IWA in their latest newsletter is concerned that some suggestions if adopted will be at the detriment to the boaters. There is a proposal for a new cycle route bridge, the Slateford Snake, between the aqueduct and railway viaduct in Edinburgh.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

A recent report on improving cycling along the Union Canal in Scotland has received finance from Sustrans and looks at the ways the towpath might be improved for cycling including alternative routes around tight spots. The IWA in their latest newsletter is concerned that some suggestions if adopted will be at the detriment to the boaters. There is a proposal for a new cycle route bridge, the Slateford Snake, between the aqueduct and railway viaduct in Edinburgh.

cycling on towpaths is always at the detriment to boaters and indeed walkers so nothing new there then.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

cycling on towpaths is always at the detriment to boaters and indeed walkers so nothing new there then.

Speaking as a boater, a cyclist, and also a walker, whatever particular hat I am wearing at the time I always try to show deference to the other two.......

40 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

Speaking as a boater, a cyclist, and also a walker, whatever particular hat I am wearing at the time I always try to show deference to the other two.......

Good for you, you are a rarety.

In principle I'm in favour of mixed use towpaths where there is adequate width. I'm less in favour of fancy sculpture-like ramps fastened to heritage structures the size of Slateford Aqueduct.

1 hour ago, Tunnelman51 said:

When I walk the towpath, there's always some speed freak cyclist rushing past, and when I'm cycling there's some damn fool walker idling around in the way... ;)

I agree with Patrick Moss, fastening a structure like that proposed at Slateford is detrimental to that heritage structure as is the proposed high rise cycle way in the basin at Edinburgh.

As to cyclists I have a certain tolerance, as some behave responsibly, not all though. The husband of the late Kim Briggs must also have similar feelings about the reckless behavior of a growing number of cyclists. The proposed improvements along the Union Canal may have the intention of improving safety, yet in bringing more chance of speeding along the towpath may not be the best use of funding.

On 9/17/2017 at 19:29, mrsmelly said:

On The Rochdale I find the cyclists re-assuring when moored in some if the urban or semi urban areas, it's good to have people around and most of them are sensible and considerate. So I wouldn't say cyclists are ALWAYS at the detriment of boaters but sometimes!

• Happy 1

We are on the outskirts of Newbury. There are signs stating walkers have preference over cycles. We were walking the dogs the other day and I jumped when I heard a cyclist hovering behind me. I quickly moved out of the way saying that I hadn't heard her, her reply was no worries you have right of way. How refreshing.

Whilst typing this a cyclist has just passed the boat at high speed. Hope no one gets in his way.

Having spent the weekend stood on the towpath in Birmingham outside the Roundhouse I would say more cyclists went past with no consideration for pedestrians than the number that slowed to a safe speed. A ring of a bell to the majority seemed to make them think everybody would jump out of their way and they didn't have to slow down.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Having spent the weekend stood on the towpath in Birmingham outside the Roundhouse I would say more cyclists went past with no consideration for pedestrians than the number that slowed to a safe speed. A ring of a bell to the majority seemed to make them think everybody would jump out of their way and they didn't have to slow down.

I wonder if the recently reported custodial sentence will make any impression.

The recent 18 month sentence seems severe as the victim apparently stepped into the road, on her phone, without looking.  It seems he paid the price for his shocking lack of remorse.  But had it been a car, I doubt if the driver would have been sent to prison.  Whenever I walk on the towpath the cyclists don't even have a bell to ring and don't even call out a warning.

47 minutes ago, mross said:

The recent 18 month sentence seems severe as the victim apparently stepped into the road, on her phone, without looking.  It seems he paid the price for his shocking lack of remorse.  But had it been a car, I doubt if the driver would have been sent to prison.  Whenever I walk on the towpath the cyclists don't even have a bell to ring and don't even call out a warning.

I think that if it had been a car driver banging on on social media about the thrill of driving without brakes before killing someone the sentence would have been longer.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

I think that if it had been a car driver banging on on social media about the thrill of driving without brakes before killing someone the sentence would have been longer.

without taking any sides i'm just pointing out he was riding a "fixie", very popular with cycle couriers, track cyclists & hipsters. If you don't know what a "fixie" is, it's a fixed wheel bike, as in the rear sprocket is "fixed" to the wheel and so cannot freewheel, you apply braking force on the pedals to stop. So they don't always have (or technically need) traditional brakes, IMHO a sensible rider would fit rim brakes to aid stopping quickly in an emergency.

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

What a driver posts on the web should have no effect, in law, on his sentence, if found guilty.  It is not a material fact.  But I really do sympathise with your view.

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

if used on a public road, then yes

Oh FFS, this is what we are discussing - bicycles on public roads!

That idiot deserved everything he got and a damn sight more in my opinion. Cyclists are going to have to be reined in severely. They ride on pavements in towns and the clowns that belong to cycling clubs ride 5 or 6 abreast on busy roads then wonder why vehicles tend to hit them. Most of them haven't got the sense they were born with.

1 hour ago, mross said:

What a driver posts on the web should have no effect, in law, on his sentence, if found guilty.  It is not a material fact.  But I really do sympathise with your view.

The point being that he was riding a bike with a fixed wheel and no front brakes, which was designed for the track, and was illegal on a public road.

He was unable to stop in time when the pedestrian walked out in front of him, and the Police proved he would have been able to stop if he had been riding a conventional bike.

13 hours ago, mross said:

I wasn't aware of this until I heard it when the sentence was reported. From the social media stuff it was evident that he found the risk exhilarating and was heedless of the fact that he risked others safety as well as his own. This in the view of the judge made the accident predictable and increased his culpability.

Edited by Sir Nibble