boats for sale.... ummmmmm really?

rbrtcrowther

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

This has been for sale for a while. Needs a bit of interior fettling.

The engine will be pretty low hours as the old chap who owned it didn't ever go out.

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Eggbridge-Marina-Narrowboat-FOR-SALE-6146587.html

we were considering that one. Right size sleeping arrangement could work... Might be worth a cheeky offer..

There has to be a bit of a limit on distance especially with 5year old in tow.. Then there would be the cost of getting a boat moved the 250 miles to our chosen marina.. It would have to be the perfect boat. Even using the works lorry and driving it myself I'd be looking at a fuel bill of close to 450 on that sort of distance plus craning at each end... All costs add up.. £20000 is big chunk of money for us.. As everyone says the right boat is out there.. :)

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The engine will be pretty low hours as the old chap who owned it didn't ever go out.

http://www.burtonwaters.co.uk/boat-for-sale/Eggbridge-Marina-Narrowboat-FOR-SALE-6146587.html

She's characterful. I like it. :)

I had seen that article before and is another reason for buying a boat that hasn't been overplated... I can then make a decision to back fill any deep pits or plan and budget to have areas replated in the future and adopt a suitable maintenance program for the hull

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I love this bit....

A bit difficult for them top broker it, if they don't know where it is!

Mind you it's not going far with that TV antenna attached like that is it?

More seriously though, this looks about as budget a shell as you can get, IMO - any narrow boat built with quite so few guards at the front end has surely been built cheaply.

I have also never heard of a "Mermaid Minuet" engine in a narrow boat  A Google search indicates this may be a Leyland base engine, but pictutes suggest probably not the much marinised BMC 1.5.  Anybody know?

Edited by alan_fincher

what would be handy is a list of the main hull builders with the best quality at the top of the list working down to the budget ones near the bottom.... I haven't discounted Springers as such. But generally the fit outs don't suit us and the majority of them are a bit er... Blunt or don't have a well deck... There were a couple of nice looking springers but they were out of our price range....

58 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I have also never heard of a "Mermaid Minuet" engine in a narrow boat  A Google search indicates this may be a Leyland base engine, but pictutes suggest probably not the much marinised BMC 1.5.  Anybody know?

Manual here: http://mermaidmarine.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/MERMAID_OPERATORS_HANDBOOK_MEERMIN_AND_MINUET.pdf

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ah clearly a BMC 1.5 then.

Your first hit there will actually be highly useful to all owners of BMC 1.5s or BMC 1.8s, as it is clearly the standard BMC operators handbook for these engines with just the front page replaced from a BMC one to a Mermaid one!

The BMC version of this manual used to be available for download on Calcutt's site, but they removed it some time back, and people have found difficulty in finding an alternate on-line source.  It seems you just have!

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, using your example –

A seller prices his boat with an allowance for the £10k needed for overplating, your surveyor identifies that £10k is needed to be spent, so you go back to the seller and say he needs to drop his price by £10k.

I have purchased and sold quote a few boats over the years – My ‘selling price’ is my ‘selling price’ and is set at a level to reflect the condition of the boat - unless any big unknown problems appear, at which stage I can decide to drop the price or keep it as was.

It will cost you around £800-£1000 a time to have a survey done so you do not want to be doing more surveys than necessary. Only survey boats that are ones you really want to buy at the advertised price, if you can negotiate any ‘discount’ then take that as a ‘win’, if the seller won’t move on price you have a decision to make.

I believe that I price my boats realistically and have always sold within 4 weeks, and best case - the same day.

Completely agree. I price to sell with no wriggle room and always sell very very quickly.

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I love this bit....

A bit difficult for them top broker it, if they don't know where it is!

Mind you it's not going far with that TV antenna attached like that is it?

More seriously though, this looks about as budget a shell as you can get, IMO - any narrow boat built with quite so few guards at the front end has surely been built cheaply.

Its ashore at Burton Waters! 

It may well be a budget shell but they are not asking a lot of money for it and I do think that a cheeky offer will get it for far less then the asking price. It has been for sale for some time now.