Leasing our boat? Yay or nay?

Mand712

Featured Posts

My partner and I have inherited a 52ft canal boat from a relative. The past year we have enjoyed our time on the waterways however with a new baby due any day now, going through locks etc has been increasingly difficult with only one person. The boat has been left moored for the past 4months and is showing signs of wear from the lack of use. Does anyone know if it Is worth leasing the boat out or offering week holidays on it to strangers? If so how would we go about this, with insurance, others competence on the boat, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We would rather not sell it but mooring costs etc will start mounting for something we just aren't using enough of :(

I am sure more experienced voices will be along shortly.......just some thoughts though, as with Landlord responsibilities on land, you would need to ensure the relevant Gas Safe and other requirements, as well as keep everything in good repair as the need arises. I believe that Boat Safety inspections need to be done somewhat more frequently than with privately owned boats. Plus insurance will need to be specific and cover hiring.  Hirers would also need some tuition on how to manage locks, use the boat systems etc on every occasion.   There are likely to be  agents perhaps who would manage such a situation rather like Letting Agents do on land?  Given the responsibilities to hirers and the hands-on need to show every one the different systems / how to operate locks etc, I would be tempted to have it professionally managed.   

I know some boats are "leased" out as liveaboards with a "landlord" owning it and a "tenant" boater, but this will likely defeat your object as many liveaboards don't move at all. 

I do know that there were/are (possibly abc ) that have arrangements where private boats have been used as hire boats and the proceeds divided between the owners and the company . Personally I wouldn't go the private diy hire route . 16 years ago we had a private boat , hired to us from Upton on Severn, through the hire company . Bunny 

Surly once the baby is born you can start boating again, lots of boats are not used for more that 6 months a year. Next spring the little one wont be toddling so can be left while doing locks etc, and by the summer sat in a car seat looking round.

To hire you have to comply with different BSS requirements and if its an older boat its unlikely a hire company would be interested. 

2 hours ago, Mand712 said:

My partner and I have inherited a 52ft canal boat from a relative. The past year we have enjoyed our time on the waterways however with a new baby due any day now, going through locks etc has been increasingly difficult with only one person. The boat has been left moored for the past 4months and is showing signs of wear from the lack of use. Does anyone know if it Is worth leasing the boat out or offering week holidays on it to strangers? If so how would we go about this, with insurance, others competence on the boat, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We would rather not sell it but mooring costs etc will start mounting for something we just aren't using enough of :(

You have virtualy no hope of properly complying with all the necessary. If you don't comply the boat will not be insured and if Johnny hirer sinks it you will not only lose the boat but get a huge bill for recovering it. Forget it.

• Greenie 1

Tidy it up and sell it.   The market is strong at the moment and you should get a good price.  Put the money aside and then in a year or two, when you feel happy about having your family afloat, buy another boat.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surly once the baby is born you can start boating again, lots of boats are not used for more that 6 months a year. Next spring the little one wont be toddling so can be left while doing locks etc, and by the summer sat in a car seat looking round.

^^^^^^^^ This. Boating with a baby is a doddle. We bought our share in Fulbourne just before my eldest arrived, and 24 years and 2 more children on we still have the share, as well as now a boat of our own. When they start to be mobile you have to take more care and follow some simple rules - life jackets on at all times when outside the cabin etc., rope in another adult to join you if you feel it necessary,  and teach them to swim. Our three grew up boating and loved it.

Forget the boat issues, your mooring site probably wouldn't allow you to use them as a base. 

So where do your hirers leave their car?

Are you available to go and find them when they complain they can't start the engine?

To go through the professional Hire Boat set up, your boat really needs to be new and immaculate, and has been said above compliant in every way with all regulations etc.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did think there may be a great many things stand in the way of hiring it out. We have two other children, 6 & 9 that love the boat hence not wanting to sell but unfortunately there is no one close in Hereford to moor it so we live 2hours away. A bit far to keep an eye on it for hiring :(