Outdoor storage chest

blackrose

Featured Posts

Some of my neighbours have plastic storage boxes on the bank next to their boats which is permitted as long as they keep the place tidy. The river here rarely floods.

So I'm thinking of getting one or two of these things to store some of the stuff that's filled up my engine space.

image.jpeg.8b569a1c1eb34a59fce3decfbfd3d410.jpeg

But when you look at these things at the shop they're fairly flimsy. I'd rather have a big site safe as we have to vacate these moorings for 4 months over winter and go elsewhere, but wouldn't a steel site safe just go rusty if left outside? I'm not too bothered about stuff being nicked - I wouldn't put anything worth nicking inside. I just thought that something a bit more substantial than those flimsy plastic boxes might be better. 

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be interested. I'd like something big, but I can't put up a shed! I would think it needs to be no higher than about 3ft.

Thanks

Edited by blackrose

A steel box would only be as secure as the padlock on it, so not very at all if there is no one around when a thief visits. You've sort of answered your own question really. If the stuff inside isn't anything you would cry if it went missing, then it doesn't matter if it isn't super secure and a low maintenance plastic container would be fine. Worth asking how much of the stuff you really truly need to keep. Stuff expands to fill the space available to keep it and then some.

I currently have one of these plastic containers in a securish compound at my mooring. In the past I've not and kept the amount of possessions down to what will fit on the boat. I've noticed that a lot of what is in the container isn't really stuff I need and should probably throw out, give away, or sell.

Jen

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A steel box would only be as secure as the padlock on it, so not very at all if there is no one around when a thief visits. You've sort of answered your own question really. If the stuff inside isn't anything you would cry if it went missing, then it doesn't matter if it isn't super secure and a low maintenance plastic container would be fine. Worth asking how much of the stuff you really truly need to keep. Stuff expands to fill the space available to keep it and then some.

I currently have one of these plastic containers in a securish compound at my mooring. In the past I've not and kept the amount of possessions down to what will fit on the boat. I've noticed that a lot of what is in the container isn't really stuff I need and should probably throw out, give away, or sell.

Jen

Yes, all my stuff is on my boat, but it's a pain having to lift deckboards and get into the engine hole every time I need a paintbrush or a bit of mastic. Plus I've got stuff like paint down there which shouldn't really be there, so I do need some extra storage.

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes, all my stuff is on my boat, but it's a pain having to lift deckboards and get into the engine hole every time I need a paintbrush or a bit of mastic. Plus I've got stuff like paint down there which shouldn't really be there, so I do need some extra storage.

I'd probably keep the paint on board, but somewhere in the cabin. Depending on the type of paint it seems to go bad when allowed to freeze. Happens with emulsion, but maybe different for boaty type oil paints.

Jen

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'd probably keep the paint on board, but somewhere in the cabin. Depending on the type of paint it seems to go bad when allowed to freeze. Happens with emulsion, but maybe different for boaty type oil paints.

Jen

I don't think I have any water-based paints down there - just oil-based and they've been fine over many winters.

48 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. I found some good ideas here: http://whatshed.co.uk/garden-storage-boxes/

I quite like this one only it's not clear if the lid can be locked? 

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/storage/garden-storage/store-more/44-x-24-store-more-emerald-13-grey-metal-storage-box

I suspect that "Door Type: Lifting Lid" and "Door Locking: None" together almost certainly mean it can not.

A picture of a larger one at the bottom of the page shows nothing that looks like any kind of lock.

Probably the steel will be thin enough that if someone took a crowbar to it, they could just bend enough of a locked lid out of the way to gain access anyway.

We have used a Keter large storage box for over 10 years outdoors - one of those biggish ones from large DIY chains, although Keter are a bit more expensive than the cheapie types on ebay and amazon.  The 10 year old one only cracked this year after a delivery driver reversed into it.   Bought a second one on Amazons Sale for about £50 which is the same size but has some improvements over the 10 year old one -used for deliveries when we are not home.  It can be locked but its plastic so not exactly difficult to break into if someone really wants to.......

I use one of these outside a static caravan in Cornwall, seem to work well and keep the water out, it is only plastic though so could be broken into in 5 mins with a hack saw. We have no access for six months a year so it is left for long periods.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7204751?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189934285|agid:38971271182|tid:aud-298559922716:pla-335766200129|crid:189521368256|nw:g|rnd:18297924053174477575|dvc:c|adp:1o9&gclid=Cj0KCQjwruPNBRCKARIsAEYNXIg7D3xproVFV2zzJZAAemPhqe3QPHDt-2Idetbhem_bRx7fTH8stqkaAoMBEALw_wcB

Edited by NickF

4 minutes ago, NickF said:

I use one of these outside a static caravan in Cornwall, seem to work well and keep the water out,

I lived in one of these outside a static caravan in Cornwall, it was very warm and cosy, and the owners weren't there for six months, so I used to sneak into the caravan and eat their chocolate hobnobs:)

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Sunflower16 said:

We have used a Keter large storage box for over 10 years outdoors

19 minutes ago, NickF said:

I use one of these outside a static caravan in Cornwall

We use one at home too. About 10 years old and as good as the day we bought it. 

In the end they issued a refund and told me to dispose of it, so I've drilled a load of holes all along the back of the lid and top of the back and put about 10 very thick cable ties through to act as a full length hinge. I did try araldite on the broken hinge but it didn't work. It's fine for storing junk. I've just filled it with stuff I won't worry about if it gets nicked. But the box is crap quality and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

IMG_20170913_145412 (1).jpg

Starplast-Outdoor-Garden-Storage-Utility-Chest-Cushion-Box-390L-Green-Sit-On-Lid

Edited by blackrose