FENDERS

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps.

Boat being painted so new fenders required as present ones are dead. Basic v jobby for the front and a long thingymajig type for the back end should suffice. Any passing trading boats coming my way soonish? or any other recommendations? Don't have to be fancy its a modern liveaboard not pretending to be owt else.

Cheeeeeers

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Won't you need a couple of dozen to hang down the sides to protect your shiny paintwork as you boat along...?

:lol: No I bloomin will not!! It wont be shiney for long as it will never see a polishing cloth :)

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, peterboat said:

More than likely to stop it going rusty

Absolutely right, its not hard to work out is it :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, DandV said:

Why bother to paint it then?

As Peter says its pretty obvious. The primary use of paint products is to protect and preserve the surface the paint is applied to therefore stops my steel corroding. A secondary reason for some people that apply paint is to make it look shiney and pretty but I have no concern with that.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

There's a fender-maker who lives and plies his trade at a lock near you (Broadmoor I think, just above Cropredy) if you would like to support local business.

Correct there is I had forgotten about him :cheers:

20 hours ago, DandV said:

Why bother to paint it then?

Actually I think coating maintenance is a like dentistry.  About 50% to avoid further costly deterioration and 50% to maintain appearance. Both very valid. Like dentistry though it is expensive and sometimes painfull but is far preferable then any alternative.

2 hours ago, DandV said:

Actually I think coating maintenance is a like dentistry.  About 50% to avoid further costly deterioration and 50% to maintain appearance. Both very valid. Like dentistry though it is expensive and sometimes painfull but is far preferable then any alternative.

One diffference though is DIY painting is easier than DIY denting your own teeth.  

On 11/09/2017 at 18:34, mrsmelly said:

:lol: No I bloomin will not!! It wont be shiney for long as it will never see a polishing cloth :)

Seven days No9s for you matey! Get some carnauba wax on there pdq and stop preaching your slovenly ways or I'll send the Joss round! ;)

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Seven days No9s for you matey! Get some carnauba wax on there pdq and stop preaching your slovenly ways or I'll send the Joss round! ;)

Strange world innitt, a good friend of mine here was a Jossman till he retired and he lives on his boat. I spent too much time brassoing poxy PROPER portholes covered in salt to polish brass ever again especialy on these toy boats. I have painted the boat light grey though :D