Peak Forest Canal

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Update on 26/09/2017:

Following the detailed survey that was completed last week we can see that the lock has become too narrow to be operated safely.   

This is very disappointing news.  We are looking into the design of the repair and how this can be fitted into our works programme.  It’s going to be a significant and complex project, and we need to work with our contracting partners to make sure that we can get the repair done quickly but at a reasonable cost too.  It’s unlikely that we will be able to give any definitive information about reopening for a couple of weeks but we can see that the lock will be closed here for some time. 

We are sorry that we cannot be certain about a reopening timetable but will give an update as soon as we can.

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Update on 26/09/2017:

Following the detailed survey that was completed last week we can see that the lock has become too narrow to be operated safely.   

This is very disappointing news.  We are looking into the design of the repair and how this can be fitted into our works programme.  It’s going to be a significant and complex project, and we need to work with our contracting partners to make sure that we can get the repair done quickly but at a reasonable cost too.  It’s unlikely that we will be able to give any definitive information about reopening for a couple of weeks but we can see that the lock will be closed here for some time. 

Like, for several months.  Now given up getting back to Sowerby Bridge and preparing to winter on the Macc.

• 2 months later...

Update on 07/12/2017:

As a result of the emergency works to repair the chamber wall at Lock 15, the Marple flight will be completely closed until 16th March 2018.

Unfortunately, this means it will not be possible to open the canal for navigation on 27th and 28th January, as originally planned.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

This is an update on the stoppage to repair the aqueduct parapet, but is in fact the first mention of any firm date for the re-opening of Marple locks, although there was an update which I missed in October which said that work on Lock 15 would start before Christmas and they hoped to re-open Mid March.  DAK if any work has actually started?

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 16:48, Mac of Cygnet said:

This is an update on the stoppage to repair the aqueduct parapet, but is in fact the first mention of any firm date for the re-opening of Marple locks, although there was an update which I missed in October which said that work on Lock 15 would start before Christmas and they hoped to re-open Mid March.  DAK if any work has actually started?

The work has started, Ian Mac has posted some good

pictures on his facebook page.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 09:33, Mac of Cygnet said:

Just got a load of notices about work on the various bits of the Peak Forest.  Opening has been put back to March 29.

But  in time for Easter Weekend.   So that's all right then.

Just looked at the notices,and still saying 29 March for the Marple flight and the Marple aquaduct .Am on lower Peak forest waiting.

Hope it's going to happen,boat needs to be in Huddersfield and I don't fancy going the long way around solo.

12 hours ago, Furness said:

Just looked at the notices,and still saying 29 March for the Marple flight and the Marple aquaduct .Am on lower Peak forest waiting.

Hope it's going to happen,boat needs to be in Huddersfield and I don't fancy going the long way around solo.

If I understand correctly: you are on the "Lower Peak Forest" . Shortest  route to Huddersfield is Ashton , Huddersfield Narrow and therefore not affected by the goings-on at Marple. You could set off for Hudd. any time convenient to you.

Just now, billh said:

If I understand correctly: you are on the "Lower Peak Forest" . Shortest  route to Huddersfield is Ashton , Huddersfield Narrow and therefore not affected by the goings-on at Marple. You could set off for Hudd. any time convenient to you.

I am on the Peak Forest between Marple and Whaley Bridge.Which I thought was the "Lower Peak Forest".

Can't use the Huddersfield Narrow just yet,because the Standedge Tunnel isn't in use until March 20.

8 minutes ago, Furness said:

I am on the Peak Forest between Marple and Whaley Bridge.Which I thought was the "Lower Peak Forest".

Can't use the Huddersfield Narrow just yet,because the Standedge Tunnel isn't in use until March 20.

Ah! In that case you don't know where you are:D. These days , the Whaley Bridge- Marple Top is commonly called the Upper Peak Forest, the section from Marple Bottom Lock (1) to Ashton , the Lower Peak Forest. In olden days there was no distinction, just the Peak Forest Canal.The division goes back to British Waterways 60 years ago when the L.P.F. became unusable but the UPF has always been open.

In light of this, you will just have to wait, like the rest of us.

23 minutes ago, Furness said:

Sorry,just rung CRT,and Standedge is open from March 16 

Update on the Marple closure

Update on 27/02/2018:

We wanted to update you on the latest progress on site at Marple and to advise you that unfortunately, the Marple Lock Flight will not be open in time for Easter.   We know this will be disappointing to hear but wanted to let you know as soon as we were clear about the delay. We are now aiming reopen the Marple Lock Flight in time for the May Day Bank Holiday (4th May). 

At Lock 15 we’ve suffered issues while removing the stone from the towpath side lock chamber wall during the dismantling phase. Some of the stonework has started splitting and crumbling in parts and unfortunately, we will not be able to reuse it as we had expected.  Working with our heritage advisor we’ve managed to source new replacement stone from a local quarry, but the need to have new stones cut and delivered has introduced the delay to reopening the navigation.

The rest of the works are progressing to plan.  We’re currently excavating down to a depth of 7 metres behind the Lock wall and in the next few weeks we will be installing the reinforcement steel cages and concreting behind the Lock wall ready for the rebuild.  The other maintenance works on the flight are progressing well too with new lock gates being fitted at Locks 1 and 13, a total of 10 locks have been grouted, large wash wall repairs between Lock 8 & Lock 9, Lock quadrant walls rebuilt and Lock slope towpaths upgraded. Our volunteers are also doing a great job removing vegetation, installing new paddle gearing to the locks and fixing some of the towpath where it is in bad condition.

The new railings to Marple Aqueduct is on schedule. We are currently carrying out the ground works on site for the new railings to be installed w/c 27th February.

We will provide a further update in the then next few weeks, but in the meantime wanted to assure you that we were doing all we can to reopen the flight as quickly as possible.

On 27/02/2018 at 16:32, Richard T said:

Update on the Marple closure

Update on 27/02/2018:

We wanted to update you on the latest progress on site at Marple and to advise you that unfortunately, the Marple Lock Flight will not be open in time for Easter.   We know this will be disappointing to hear but wanted to let you know as soon as we were clear about the delay. We are now aiming reopen the Marple Lock Flight in time for the May Day Bank Holiday (4th May). 

At Lock 15 we’ve suffered issues while removing the stone from the towpath side lock chamber wall during the dismantling phase. Some of the stonework has started splitting and crumbling in parts and unfortunately, we will not be able to reuse it as we had expected.  Working with our heritage advisor we’ve managed to source new replacement stone from a local quarry, but the need to have new stones cut and delivered has introduced the delay to reopening the navigation.

The rest of the works are progressing to plan.  We’re currently excavating down to a depth of 7 metres behind the Lock wall and in the next few weeks we will be installing the reinforcement steel cages and concreting behind the Lock wall ready for the rebuild.  The other maintenance works on the flight are progressing well too with new lock gates being fitted at Locks 1 and 13, a total of 10 locks have been grouted, large wash wall repairs between Lock 8 & Lock 9, Lock quadrant walls rebuilt and Lock slope towpaths upgraded. Our volunteers are also doing a great job removing vegetation, installing new paddle gearing to the locks and fixing some of the towpath where it is in bad condition.

The new railings to Marple Aqueduct is on schedule. We are currently carrying out the ground works on site for the new railings to be installed w/c 27th February.

We will provide a further update in the then next few weeks, but in the meantime wanted to assure you that we were doing all we can to reopen the flight as quickly as possible.

I took a modest number of photographs of both Aqueduct and lock 15 last weekend - give me a few hours to edit and post...

OK - so starting with the Aqueduct...

5a97ad0d3e375_Canal(2of9).jpg.c63112332f3313e90d99d6d541fcbf95.jpg

Safety cable on the right (towpath side), preparatory work on the left

I'm not over impressed with the "artists impression". Given that the stated reason for these works is so that people who are stupid enough to access the "wrong" side of the aqueduct can't injure themselves the person below looks remarkably casual...

5a97ad6839d78_Canal(1of9).jpg.5610f7dccfb50aa946668ae211f54a34.jpg

Onto the locks - Can't see it opening this month, Lock 15 simply isn't there!

5a97ae43f279c_Canal(3of9).jpg.93b4f1a0e9a89296d5d649ad924bb79b.jpg

The entire sidewall has been removed. The sacking over the far side is covering that wall (presumably to prevent damage although there might be mortar drying if they have done a bit of remedial pointing while the going is good)

5a97aeadab3d2_Canal(4of9).jpg.fcaca3fcd9615b815fe34eb5a2d31edc.jpg

Access for the "digger". To the right of the excavation you can see the base of the original lock wall.

5a97af14b49cd_Canal(9of9).jpg.1f91eb841d89b2d6b377c1c0e8afb851.jpg

Again, whilst the coast is clear, some remedial work on the bottom gates of lock 13...

5a97af53a8fda_Canal(8of9).jpg.ad197c4b54233388b5b28d20a65ca5ec.jpg

And the top gates and paddles, same lock.

• Greenie 3

• 1 month later...