Getting dropped items out of water tank

Lolly

Featured Posts

Hello,

I recently dropped a brass hose pipe nozzle into my water tank (like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHS-Brass-Hose-Nozzle-with-Quick-Click-Adapter/222260324744?epid=1442768070&hash=item33bfbf6988%3Ag%3AeVsAAOSwAuZX5rUq)

Any tips on getting things as such back out again? How bad is this likley to be for the water condition if it is not really that possible to get back out?

Many thanks,

Laurence

Before plastic pipes became popular your domestic water would flow through copper pipes joined with brass fittings and the water was fine, so a bit of brass is no problem. Before that the pipes were made of lead and that was pretty much ok too.

...............Dave

If the tank coating is Ok there should be no problem.  If the brass lies on bare steel it will cause localalised corrosion of the steel.  So aim to remove it eventually, when tank is next painted.  I wouldn't worry in the meanwhile.

Edited by mross

20 minutes ago, mross said:

If the tank coating is Ok there should be no problem.  If the brass lies on bare steel it will cause localalised corrosion of the steel.  So aim to remove it eventually, when tank is next painted.  I wouldn't worry in the meanwhile.

Hmm, now...

Yes, you are right. Bare, clean steel in contact with bare steel brass will set up a bit of electrolytic corrosion. But it won't take much to disrupt that, a bit of paint, a lump of dirt, corroded brass and so on

Then there is sods law, which means corrosion will happen. Even so, it's going to take a very long time to make any significant damage. And if the fitting rolls around a bit, there will be even less of a problem

I'm with you - take it out at next tank painting, meanwhile don't worry about it

Richard

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Really? :huh:   Have a look at the health effects of exposure to lead in drinking water on this webpage:

As long as a simple rule was followed it was fine, "when you wake up always have a wee before you have a drink". This pulls through the water that was sitting in the pipe over night.

I went to the local grammar school, the thick kids went to the secondary modern just up the road that was right next to the Lucas battery factory. The local newspaper reported the scandal that testing had revealed that due to the lead half of these pupils had below average intelligence. (think about it.)

................Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

As long as a simple rule was followed it was fine, "when you wake up always have a wee before you have a drink". This pulls through the water that was sitting in the pipe over night.

I went to the local grammar school, the thick kids went to the secondary modern just up the road that was right next to the Lucas battery factory. The local newspaper reported the scandal that testing had revealed that due to the lead half of these pupils had below average intelligence. (think about it.)

................Dave

Foremans Road

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Foremans Road

Richard

Yup, think I've said before, from the 6th form common room on the top floor could watch the shunting at the Tyseley locomotive works but could not quite see the canal.

..............Dave