Facebook, yobs canal boats and a lock

bigcol

Featured Posts

Fishing!!!!

another Hobby, sit there smoking weed, intimidating gentle weak boating folk.lol

(IVE GOT IT!!!)

give them the keys to dredgers and diggers, they can have a wow of a time, 24/7 

Seriously they would properly enjoy it.

SOZ mixing up theads

col

Edited by bigcol

A very similar incident happened to me when I was skippering a passenger boat through a lock on the Medway.  Half a dozen youths boarded the boat and started going through lockers etc.  When I asked them to leave one little darling threatened to break my jaw for me!  Fortunately they did leave without violence.

However when I tried to get through to the police they were fairly useless - the 101 number just cut me off and the Kent marine police eventually said that they couldn't do anything about that part of the river because another lock was under repair and they couldn't get their boat through.

Two thoughts about community service and national service: 1. I am also a magistrate and if someone is convicted of an offence then they may well get community service.  However to make it compulsory for all kids regardless of behaviour is probably wrong - my own kids have plenty going on in their lives doing GCSEs etc without picking up other people's litter; and 2. The armed forces have no desire to have national service back - why would they want to become babysitters for tens of thousands of teenagers who are there because they have to be there, rather than training highly motivated volunteers who want a career? 

We should always punish criminal behaviour when we catch it but I don't think there is anything to be gained by treating whole generations as if they were criminals.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, Wanted said:

You've answered the question yourself. 

You show these kids the same love and boundaries as you clearly show your own. 

The difficult bit, is getting parents to do it.

when they are not too busy partying with their friends.

With regard to "National Service" surely what people mean is a period of time where young people are trained under discipline and helped to grow up.  They I feel are merely using the tag National Service because it once existed and is understood as a term.

National Service wasn't seen as a punishment and I see no reason why a compulsory period of similar training should be seen as such.

• Greenie 1

The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

With regard to "National Service" surely what people mean is a period of time where young people are trained under discipline and helped to grow up.  They I feel are merely using the tag National Service because it once existed and is understood as a term.

National Service wasn't seen as a punishment and I see no reason why a compulsory period of similar training should be seen as such.

My children have grown up just fine. I would fight tooth and nail to keep them away from any form of what is termed national service! 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RevCedd said:

A very similar incident happened to me when I was skippering a passenger boat through a lock on the Medway.  Half a dozen youths boarded the boat and started going through lockers etc.  When I asked them to leave one little darling threatened to break my jaw for me!  Fortunately they did leave without violence.

However when I tried to get through to the police they were fairly useless - the 101 number just cut me off and the Kent marine police eventually said that they couldn't do anything about that part of the river because another lock was under repair and they couldn't get their boat through.

Two thoughts about community service and national service: 1. I am also a magistrate and if someone is convicted of an offence then they may well get community service.  However to make it compulsory for all kids regardless of behaviour is probably wrong - my own kids have plenty going on in their lives doing GCSEs etc without picking up other people's litter; and 2. The armed forces have no desire to have national service back - why would they want to become babysitters for tens of thousands of teenagers who are there because they have to be there, rather than training highly motivated volunteers who want a career? 

We should always punish criminal behaviour when we catch it but I don't think there is anything to be gained by treating whole generations as if they were criminals.

Perhaps if the bench saw through the bleeding heart claptrap defence solicitors spout, and actually punished the little darlings in the first place, rather than giving them the ' this is your (97th) last chance ' then progress could be made.

5 minutes ago, Phil. said:

Perhaps if the bench saw through the bleeding heart claptrap defence solicitors spout, 

Or "professional people doing their job to the best of their ability", as it is sometimes known.

I think that most people who sit on "the bench" will have had enough experience to realise that both defence and prosecution lawyers will present a case in the way which best benefits the person they're working for, and will conduct a trial accordingly.

10 hours ago, Wanted said:

You've answered the question yourself. 

You show these kids the same love and boundaries as you clearly show your own. 

I read all your posts and enjoy reading them,always will have and will

But the above quote is rubbish!!!

you show any form of love, or interest, even starting a conversation with a youth, yob hoodie teenager even own children

unfornatley they see it as weakness!!

parents these days, full of love, answer with love, be gentle treat with love.

even the parents themselves all their doing is as far as the kids see is showing weakness!!

4 /5 years ago, was talking to a well know character, we were newish to canals, and remember him telling the wife and i To always try to find a mooring with other boats, boat people stick together.

he then proceeded to tell us about a couple he met the week before, they preferred to moor in the middle of nowhere on their own.

but some gang of youths gypsie folks boarded ransacked their boat, even finished of taking the Television and other valuables. They were powerless and helpless

these were a middle aged normal couple, and being on the canals for years never had a problem at all.

my wife and I have only ever experienced king hearted,helpful folks,

who have helped us if they could see us struggling.

even had guys offering and carrying heavy bags or coal down to our boat.

Offering a gesture of thanks, has never been accepted.

out their in the real world, I had never experienced anything like it,

so experiencing this on the canal, at first I was very wary, Thinking their was a hidden agenda.

its just I imagine we're all in the same boat

Edited by bigcol

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

you show any form of love, or interest, even starting a conversation with a youth, yob hoodie teenager even own children

even the parents themselves all their doing is as far as the kids see is showing weakness!!

I don't really know how to respond to your belief that showing kids love is a sign of weakness. Suffice to say that I find it hard to fathom how someone who offers their kids so much adventure can be seen as doing anything other than just that. 

You may not do it with words, but as the old saying goes, actions speak louder, and your actions clearly show your kids you love them. That's a strength in my book, not a weakness. 

I made this film a few years ago with young people from Lewisham, Hammersmith and Camden. They had all been in care, all in trouble with the law to some degree and all lived in homes that I managed. 

Can you see the spark in their eyes, the desire to be loved and given positive boundaries? We didn't write these kids off and they are all doing brilliantly now. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, bigcol said:

Do you really think those kids in their hoodies have been given too much love at home?

I show my kids plenty of love and respect and they don't see it as a weakness nor do they wander about in hoodies threatening innocent boaters.

In fact the way I have treated them has taught them to show all people respect.

In my experience starting a conversation with youths, hooded or not, whilst boating, was the best way to get a lock flight crew willing to help.

I didn't treat them with "love" but I did show them respect rather than staring rigidly ahead avoiding eye contact.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, carlt said:

Do you really think those kids in their hoodies have been given too much love at home?

I show my kids plenty of love and respect and they don't see it as a weakness nor do they wander about in hoodies threatening innocent boaters.

In fact the way I have treated them has taught them to show all people respect.

In my experience starting a conversation with youths, hooded or not, whilst boating, was the best way to get a lock flight crew willing to help.

I didn't treat them with "love" but I did show them respect rather than staring rigidly ahead avoiding eye contact.

Fully agree with this.

We don't know what happened in the run up to that video.

We have seen people moor up their boats and then start insulting the local youth who just happen to be there. Not the best way to start a dialogue with people of any age.

Some people do make their own trouble.

Very ilightning film great, and I aplauld all that give their time to the youth of today.

its a film being positive about St Christopher's and it's nice to know that these group of youths feel as thought it's turned their lives around.good for them.

but there's many many more who would not think or sought sought out help, these are the guys and gals you don't see in a positive film like this.

only the true videos of youths stabbing and robbing shops etc etc etc. And all this caught on real life camera, or shop survelance video

the real world.

i love my children and Grandchildren, and frequently have them around, and do spend the time with them.

and have also read the post on this very forum who did engage with some youths, and return the favour by throwing stones at the boat.

its life

There seems to be an impression by some that showing love is a sign of weakness. When a sergeant is hard on his men it's because he loves them (or he should if he is any good) i.e. he cares for their wellbeing so he is readying them for much harder times ahead. It's called tough love, not soft fluffy sentimentalism so often mistaken for love, wrapping kids in cotton wool and showing endless sympathy isn't love, that's just demonstrating your own weakness.

Kids need preparing for life by being toughened up by someone they (eventually) realise cares for them. 

• Love 1

I am one, and who ever knows me know that I'm always engaging if I can, and yes some are decent, and willing to get involved.

but I've also see youths throwing stones and bricks at boats, somtime back I did post the fact found a mattress around the prop

just under a bridge on the way to a hospital appointment.

and on the bridge there were youths and a older adult I think, shouting comments and then proceeded to drop a large copping stone into the canal!! And nicks and stuff.

I done nothing!! I know what I would have loved to do, turn into a robo cop lol, but I done nothing.

Ive not said ever showing love is a sign of weakness.

Im saying unfornatley showing Love, the fcukers see and take it as a weakness.

25 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Im saying unfornatley showing Love, the fcukers see and take it as a weakness.

But what is showing love? If a smack round the ear would make them take a step back and think about their behaviour then that smack would be love.

My late FIL, a retired teacher, was approached by a former pupil in a pub who bought him a drink and thanked him for caning him once, he was adamant that he was out of control at the time and the caning stopped him in his tracks, he said that without that punishment he dreaded to think where he would have ended up.

Anyone who knew my FIL would know he was a loving person, not because he was outwardly soft because he wasn't, but he gave his time to help those who needed help. 

Tough love, the best there is. 

26 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Very ilightning film great, and I aplauld all that give their time to the youth of today.

its a film being positive about St Christopher's and it's nice to know that these group of youths feel as thought it's turned their lives around.good for them.

but there's many many more who would not think or sought sought out help, these are the guys and gals you don't see in a positive film like this.

only the true videos of youths stabbing and robbing shops etc etc etc. And all this caught on real life camera, or shop survelance video

the real world.

i love my children and Grandchildren, and frequently have them around, and do spend the time with them.

and have also read the post on this very forum who did engage with some youths, and return the favour by throwing stones at the boat.

its life

The kids in this film had all been in exactly the same trouble or very similar to those in the boating incident. Two of them in the film had convictions for street robbery and one for GBH, another had charges of shoplifting. All bar one had been excluded from school and all of them could no longer live at home. 

To put some perspective on things, we have circa 11 million children living in the UK, at the end of 2016 33,000 youth cautions or charges had been made. Youth crime is significantly on the decrease. One thing that I think leads to the belief that things are terrible is the way in which we get our news. Social media has hung drawn and quartered these kids before evidence of a criminal offence has been found. We have heard people writing off holidays and claiming that the canal is a no go area. this one film clip has led to calls of national service and several people have decided that all young people are the same. I would suggest that whilst we shouldn't condone the behaviour of these kids, and they should have a bollocking for their part, it's important that rational thinking and perspective shape our thought. Fear is the mind killer! 

8 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

My late FIL, a retired teacher, was approached by a former pupil in a pub who bought him a drink and thanked him for caning him once, he was adamant that he was out of control at the time and the caning stopped him in his tracks, he said that without that punishment he dreaded to think where he would have ended up.

I knew a gentleman who was Senior Master in a boys school who was often in a similar position.  They realised the "short sharp shock" had been what they needed.  Also contrary to some opinions many of them came from good homes with plenty of love.

12 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

But what is showing love? If a smack round the ear would make them take a step back and think about their behaviour then that smack would be love.

Anyone who knew my FIL would know he was a loving person, not because he was outwardly soft because he wasn't, but he gave his time to help those who needed help. 

Tough love, the best there is. 

The sentiment and not the methods in which you describe I agree with. Firm, consistent boundaries given to children are indeed part of that love. I think the answer is to be able to know what is appropriate at a given time. 

Just by way of balance, some of the most yardie kids, kids who carries blades and drugs who lived with us often had fluffy cartoon slippers tucked under their beds. There is a diamond in us all. 

7 hours ago, Phil. said:

Perhaps if the bench saw through the bleeding heart claptrap defence solicitors spout, and actually punished the little darlings in the first place, rather than giving them the ' this is your (97th) last chance ' then progress could be made.

Sorry Phil, but speaking as someone with two degrees in law, who worked as a solicitor for 16 years and has sat on the bench for 7 years I can confidently say, with the greatest of respect, that you are talking out of your derriere.  If those yobs came before the Magistrates they would be doing exactly the type of community service that some here are crying out for and, if they kept appearing, they would probably end up doing some time. 

I was being prepared for life early on. I happened to mention to my mum that I quite liked geography at school, after that she kept hinting by wrapping me sandwiches in road maps.

Edited by bizzard
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I was being prepared for life early on. I happened to mention to my mum that I quite like geography at school, after that she kept hinting by wrapping me sandwiches in road maps.

Top banana!!!  Just brilliant 

27 minutes ago, RevCedd said:

Sorry Phil, but speaking as someone with two degrees in law, who worked as a solicitor for 16 years and has sat on the bench for 7 years I can confidently say, with the greatest of respect, that you are talking out of your derriere.  If those yobs came before the Magistrates they would be doing exactly the type of community service that some here are crying out for and, if they kept appearing, they would probably end up doing some time. 

Whilst I don't disbelieve your statement speaking as someone who for several years wore a blue uniform and a big funny hat Phil is not far from the truth. Banging a head against a brick wall for todays police springs to mind. Many was the time I wasted considerable time getting certain little and not so little darlings in front of Magistrates and indeed at crown court only to listen to defence who of course were not under oath making Jackanory seem like a history programme.

• Haha 1