New livery

luggsy

Featured Posts

Over the last 4/5 weeks been trying to paint Ploddinon, what a challenge its ether to hot /windy/raining going to rain finally got her done , on the bow deck it was cream now it's Matt grey redone the red and now I have painted the hinges black as they were red before, along the gunwales was red ( it was forever getting scratches and scrapes, so now it starts off matt grey then black ( I used blacking ) then back to grey , on the stern I repainted the red and added some stripes around the taff rails , just got to do a little touching up and repaint the stern deck , I think it looks a lot better now 

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

Very fetching indeed! I know exactly what you mean about the weather too - the steel needs to be dry and not be cold, but it seems to have been either hot enough to fry an egg on or very wet lately.

Incidentally, I think you chose a poor spot to do the job - there appears to be some very large insects stuck to the paintwork, although curiously it only seems to have affected your back doors. ;)

Looks good. I have been trying to repaint a few bits on DQ, but having done the cratch woodwork the weather has been as you say, unsuitable for painting for various reasons.

Now as I've fractured my leg I'll have to leave it until next year 

Edited by cuthound
To remove a spurious letter

8 hours ago, Bloomsberry said:

Very nice, looks like you got a great finish.

A couple of questions, did you use any thinners with your paint and whose paint did you use ?

No thinners used , Matt grey is black county paints, black is leyland trade high gloss it is really nice paint to use and is really glossy, the black in between the grey is just blacking , the original red is epifanes bounty red which has faded a bit so I bought some leyland high gloss burgundy which is nearly the same colour as the bounty red now , cream is  epifanes 

Looks a great job, very smart!    

Last couple of of weeks I touched up some of the paint on Honeystreet, just the hatch over the water tank and the main hatch and touching up a few of the seasons bumps and scratches, which as said choosing the right weather was fun!     However did it attempt any change of colour! 

I too have been painting. Not quite as elaborate as Luggsy's job :P but then my boat is a bit more basic.

I've taken most of the bow decks back to metal to get rid of the rust spots and patches and finished in grey Interdeck (starting with a coat of Bonda primer, 2 coats of Hemple primer/undercoat and then 2 coats of Interdeck). The grey Interdeck was a bit too light so I mixed it with some 151 brand non-slip black paint to darken it a bit. It mixes quite well and seems to be compatible.

Eventually I'll repaint the rest of the cream decks (stern, gunwales and roof) with the same grey Interdeck and then do the cabin sides in black, so the new "ship's colours" will be black & grey instead of the cream. But even a small area like the bow does take a long time when you're doing all the prep and several coats by yourself with limited free time and weather permitting, so I've accepted my boat is a bit of a Forth Bridge project and will always need painting...

IMG_20170903_182509.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Mine is being done as we speak. A complete colour change to light grey a very similar colour to F127, F57 and F18 that were my first 3 liveaboards. I am luckier than most in that I have a covered dock to have it done in but not realy enough time for a cracking job but it will do for me.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Mine is being done as we speak. A complete colour change to light grey a very similar colour to F127, F57 and F18 that were my first 3 liveaboards. I am luckier than most in that I have a covered dock to have it done in but not realy enough time for a cracking job but it will do for me.

I hope that's not paint you liberated as a souvenir when you left the Andrew! They can tell you know - there'll be little Mod Arrows lurking where you least expect them. ;)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I hope that's not paint you liberated as a souvenir when you left the Andrew! They can tell you know - there'll be little Mod Arrows lurking where you least expect them. ;)

:D I reckon if I still had some it would have gone off a bit by now. Similar colour though but not in 50 gallon drums or whatever it used to be in?