Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Because it is full of bagged coal for sale?

And the 'blade' thing is historical. 'Blade' is how people referred the the propeller before leisure boating became widespread. It is still very common in boatyards

Richard

Is it a coal boat regularly serving customers as part of a business? It doesn't seem to be, but please correct me (with evidence) if I'm wrong. We have 3 bags of coal on Telemachus. If I sell one to another boater in need does that make Telemachus a "working boat"? How about the cheese boat, coffee boat etc. Are they working boats too?

Just now, nicknorman said:

Is it a coal boat regularly serving customers as part of a business? It doesn't seem to be, but please correct me (with evidence) if I'm wrong. We have 3 bags of coal on Telemachus. If I sell one to another boater in need does that make Telemachus a "working boat"? How about the cheese boat, coffee boat etc. Are they working boats too?

I'm sorry - are you asking me to explain 'coal for sale'?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

My resentment is the assumption that a specific age is sufficient to draw conclusions.

But the facts are that as age increases, so does the likelihood of impairment of faculties. I did not say that everyone who is late 70s is blind and demented, that would be silly. Please don't pick me up on something I didn't say.

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

I'm sorry - are you asking me to explain 'coal for sale'?

No need to apologise, but no I wasn't asking you to explain that. I was asking if Corona was a coal boat in the same way that Halsall, Dusty etc are, since it doesn't seem to have an internet presence as a coal boat nor does it feature on "lock13". Or whether it just chugged around with lots of bags of coal on sometimes, just like the good old days (except in the good old days, the coal wasn't in nice clean plastic bags!). But I suppose I could ask you to explain the difference between "coal for sale" and "cheese for sale".

And no, I don't mean a comparison of the taste, texture and colour of the respective materials for sale!

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No need to apologise, but no I wasn't asking you to explain that. I was asking if Corona was a coal boat in the same way that Halsall, Dusty etc are, since it doesn't seem to have an internet presence as a coal boat nor does it feature on "lock13". Or whether it just chugged around with lots of bags of coal on sometimes, just like the good old days (except in the good old days, the coal wasn't in nice clean plastic bags!). But I suppose I could ask you to explain the difference between "coal for sale" and "cheese for sale".

And no, I don't mean a comparison of the taste, texture and colour of the respective materials for sale!

Yes

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But the facts are that as age increases, so does the likelihood of impairment of faculties. I did not say that everyone who is late 70s is blind and demented, that would be silly. Please don't pick me up on something I didn't say.

Given that the person in question is well into his 80s, and fully in command of all his faculties, I was boating with him a few days ago, once again you are so wide of the mark with your comments.

I wonder what penis envy drives you?  After all, your own boat sports a copy Josher Aladdin's slipper bow!

George 

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Yes to it being a coal boat like Halsall etc? Funny how is doesn't advertise itself as such. Therefore, and in the absence of any evidence, I am inclined to think you are wrong.

So why else might Corona be sometimes full of coal, and sometimes not then?

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

And secondly, anyone whose own name is in much larger writing than their boat's name is suspect IMO!

This is simply Mr.Maggs perpetuating the style of signwriting used by the carrying fleets of yore, where the name such as 'Fellow, Morton & Norman' or whatever, would be an larger script than the boat's actual name. Nowt to get suspicious about.

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

And secondly, anyone whose own name is in much larger writing than their boat's name is suspect IMO!

To suggest Trevor is egotistical simply proves you don't know the man as nothing could be further from the truth.

The cabin sides are simply laid out as any competent dockyard trained signwriter would have done them - originally Ron Hough in that case IIRC.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So why else might Corona be sometimes full of coal, and sometimes not then?

I've no idea, hence the question. Quite possibly it gets filled up with coal so it looks like it might be a working boat, then emptied at other times when the driver gets fed up with it being so heavy and deep. Don't laugh, there are plenty of cases where people load their boats up with stuff just to make a point. Yes they are transporting cargo, but since they are not doing it in a business capacity I don't consider that to be "working". I consider that a hobby and therefore it is a leisure boat.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes to it being a coal boat like Halsall etc? Funny how is doesn't advertise itself as such. Therefore, and in the absence of any evidence, I am inclined to think you are wrong.

There are a number of (ex) working boats who bulk load at a main supplier, eg John Jackson's yard, on behalf of coal boats with rounds and then transfer the load to the "roundsman" as required, to save him a long haul to reload.

Of course, you already knew that, didn't you?

George

1 minute ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

To suggest Trevor is egotistical simply proves you don't know the man as nothing could be further from the truth.

The cabin sides are simply laid out as any competent dockyard trained signwriter would have done them - originally Ron Hough in that case IIRC.

It was just a tease, thank you for falling for it!

1 minute ago, furnessvale said:

There are a number of (ex) working boats who bulk load at a main supplier, eg John Jackson's yard, on behalf of coal boats with rounds and then transfer the load to the "roundsman" as required, to save him a long haul to reload.

Of course, you already knew that, didn't you?

George

I didn't know it, but I did wonder it, hence my question. But the primary question that remains unanswered is, does he do this as part of a profit-making business, or is it a hobby? To me this determines the difference between a working boat and a leisure boat.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

There's a great deal you don't know Nick, but it still seldom stops you having strong opinions about it.

As well as the "customer facing" boats, actually selling solid fuel and diesel to boaters and canal-side properties, it is not unusual for other owners to carry full loads on their behalf, and to sometimes act as "floating warehouse", until it is transhipped too one of the boats actually doing the rounds.

What is in my picture is a completely genuine load of retail coal.

We have plenty of 20 to 30 year olds around here regularly crashing into various bits of the canal structure (and other people's boats!).  You don't need to be in your seventies, (which he isn't anyway), to do these things.  As someone else has said, if it was not a working boat (ex, or otherwise), this thread would not exist.

7 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Given that the person in question is well into his 80s, and fully in command of all his faculties, I was boating with him a few days ago, once again you are so wide of the mark with your comments.

I wonder what penis envy drives you?  After all, your own boat sports a copy Josher Aladdin's slipper bow!

George 

You missed the point that there was strong evidence that Trevor wasn't the one driving. My point was a general one, that there are no medical standards for canal boating and when you see something bad happening such as a boat smashing into a gate (although the event may have been over-played on this thread) it could be not because the driver thinks he owns the cut and can do what he likes, but because a once-competent boater is no longer competent due to faculty impairment.  I don't know Trevor, I have no beef about him and therefore it wouldn't make sense for me to have attacked him in the way you suggest. Which is why I didn't do so, you simply misconstrued.

52 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Another case of expressing an opinion on which you seem to have no knowledge.

I would say the vast majority of working boats had the carriers name in a much larger typeface than the actual name of the boat.  Part of this is the way things are usually laid out.  The carriers details usually occupy the whole of the back cabin, the boat's name is usually only on a small area of the much smaller engine room.  Even then it is usually obscured if the boat travels with the engine room doors open, (unless part of it is also replicated on to the inside of those doors).

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

There's a great deal you don't know Nick, but it still seldom stops you having strong opinions about it.

As well as the "customer facing" boats, actually selling solid fuel and diesel to boaters and canal-side properties, it is not unusual for other owners to carry full loads on their behalf, and to sometimes act as "floating warehouse", until it is transhipped too one of the boats actually doing the rounds.

What is in my picture is a completely genuine load of retail coal.

We have plenty of 20 to 30 year olds around here regularly crashing into various bits of the canal structure (and other people's boats!).  You don't need to be in your seventies, (which he isn't anyway), to do these things.  As someone else has said, if it was not a working boat (ex, or otherwise), this thread would not exist.

This is why I asked the question. It has taken a while to get the answer due to the cliquiness and "knowledge is power" nature of the "working boat" sycophants on here, but now we have a partial answer. So he moves coal around. So do I. The critical point is, does he do this as part of a business or is it a hobby?

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Another case of expressing an opinion on which you seem to have no knowledge.

I would say the vast majority of working boats had the carriers name in a much larger typeface than the actual name of the boat.  Part of this is the way things are usually laid out.  The carriers details usually occupy the whole of the back cabin, the boat's name is usually only on a small area of the much smaller engine room.  Even then it is usually obscured if the boat travels with the engine room doors open, (unless part of it is also replicated on to the inside of those doors).

Do keep up!

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, in answer to the question "do owners of ex-working boats have special privileges?" The answer is Yes. They are surrounded by sycophants who worship the water on which they walk. That surely is a privilege!

No, you are thinking of Hudson owners, surely?

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I didn't know it, but I did wonder it, hence my question. But the primary question that remains unanswered is, does he do this as part of a profit-making business, or is it a hobby? To me this determines the difference between a working boat and a leisure boat.

Of course you did.  That is why it formed the main hypothesis in your post  No 65.

George

Just now, alan_fincher said:

No, you are thinking of Hudson owners, surely?

I've been keeping score. You are several points ahead in the "uncalled for snipes at each other's boat types" league, and every time you make another one, I fail to even the score and have to keep going.