Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

Well I must say i'm impressed 125+ posts and still on topic, a few changes of direction but back to topic, feel I should thank all contributors on behalf of the lets get the old forum back.

Er back to topic, The original poster has been very quiet since the early exchanges, we are[as been said] all guilty of not doing the right thing at sometime I'm sure, the thing is try to not make it normal practice. As to working boat owners being privileged that's one hell of an expensive way to get a privileged position. When you take into consideration the cost of running and maintaining these types of craft, I am very pleased to see these craft still on the waterways to serve as a reminder as to the original purpose of the system.

Am looking forward to the next flurry of posts:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, br4k3s said:

. When you take into consideration the cost of running and maintaining these types of craft, I am very pleased to see these craft still on the waterways to serve as a reminder as to the original purpose of the system.

A incipient flurry writes...it often surprises me that former working boats seem to sell for fairly modest prices, compared with for example the prices achieved by vintage and P.V.T. cars proportionate to the price of more recent vehicles. I guess that the real expense lies in maintaining them, for example financing a total rebuild of the Krauthausen ZZ3 engine for which the last new parts were manufactured in 1946.

As for special privileges, I guess owners have the privilege of basking in the admiration and compliments of other canal users - though I appreciate that that's not why they own and care for them.

This thread shows everything that is wrong with social media.

I've only read the first page and can't be bothered to go any further, but the first and most obvious thing that springs to my mind is that one mans 'smash' is very different to anothers.

I've only been working an ex-working boat for two and a half years but i'll readily admit I've well and truly clattered a few gates. Things go wrong, and when doing between 200 and 300 locks a month unfortunately it's reality. 

I'll also happily admit to using the bottom gates as a buffer, usually to take the last bit of forward momentum out of the boat whilst i've stepped off the counter to drop the offside paddle and then shut the gate behind me. I'd never describe this action as a smash (unless it's gone wrong), in which case we are back at my original thought that one mans smash is another mans minor bump.

To answer your question, do owners of ex working boats get special privileges? No of course not, but then you know that.

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, junior said:

To answer your question, do owners of ex working boats get special privileges? No of course not, but then you know that.

I was talking to John Best, the lad on the LHS of photo, a boater steeped in history and experience, recently and he asked me if I had any family from the cut. I replied "No I'm just a noddy boater." He replied, with a grin, "We're all noddy boaters now Ray." No they don't get any special privilege, apart from the fact I will always give them the middle of the cut when passing.

Alf Best & sons.jpg

Edited by Ray T

10 hours ago, Athy said:

A incipient flurry writes...it often surprises me that former working boats seem to sell for fairly modest prices,

As for special privileges, I guess owners have the privilege of basking in the admiration and compliments of other canal users - though I appreciate that that's not why they own and care for them.

Have just read your post Athy, been to Silverstone via the wonders of digital tv. yes I agree with you about modest pricing of working boats. It is not only working boats older boats with engine room/boatmans seem to have a ceiling price also, when I brought my boat [11yr ago] these types were in high demand not now it seams, very niche is the words used nowadays. Have been told by people in the business that buyers are increasingly coming from the caravan/camping fraternity and with this is the requirement for all home comforts of a modern layout hence the increase in demand for these types. Whatever rocks your boat really.

May be this has something to do with the reason for this thread being started, wouldn't it be nice if we could all get on, but that's the way it is i'm afraid.

'No persons or animals were intended to be upset or offended by this post'    :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, br4k3s said:

Well I must say i'm impressed 125+ posts and still on topic, a few changes of direction but back to topic, feel I should thank all contributors on behalf of the lets get the old forum back.

Er back to topic, The original poster has been very quiet since the early exchanges, we are[as been said] all guilty of not doing the right thing at sometime I'm sure, the thing is try to not make it normal practice. As to working boat owners being privileged that's one hell of an expensive way to get a privileged position. When you take into consideration the cost of running and maintaining these types of craft, I am very pleased to see these craft still on the waterways to serve as a reminder as to the original purpose of the system.

I am the OP and you're right,  I have been quiet since asking the original question was asked and here are the reasons why.

I have been accused of "gross exaggeration " by archie57 in post #12 who claims he was there at the time but hasn't given his account of events. Bearwood Boster in post #113 suggests that archie57 and Trevor Maggs are friends so perhaps archie57 wasn't there after all but is springing to his friend's defence.

zenataomm has concluded in post #38 that although he or she is ignoring my poor spelling, I am a frustrated Sun headline writer and wannabe ex working boat owner.  Well Zena, I don't read the Sun and have no desire to write headlines for it either. I do admire the old working boats when I see them and I also admire those who own and maintain them. I can't deny that it has crossed my mind to own one but despite the fact that I can afford to buy a fleet of ex-working boats, I am not sufficiently interested.

Mr Smelly in post #42 suggested that I must have been having a bad day. I wasn't, I can't remember the last time that I had a bad day. Maybe if my name was Smelly, I'd have a few more.

Roland Elsdon in post #43 imagines that I have owned a car that I have never crashed or scratched and it is therefore in pristine condition. Better than that, he would like to see photos of it although I suspect that he was just writing that to take the mickey out of my spelling mistake. Sorry Roland, I don't have a car and haven't owned one since 1990 so I don't have any pictures for you. I did have a series of company cars though, the last being an E class Merc which cost £50,000. You're right though, I didn't scratch or crash it but that's because I know what I am doing behind the wheel of a car when driving 25,0000 miles a year.

Had I known that I was inviting personal comments and criticism, I would never asked the original question. This post is not only the last post that I will ever write on here, it is the last that I will ever read too. I have asked the moderators to delete my account but I will neither know nor care whether they do or not.

Before I finally go, just a few mentions.

Bizzard - never lose your creative streak.

MtB - I appreciate your contributions over the years

NickNorman - keep going, you have a thicker skin than me

Archie, Zena, Smelly and Roland - Go forth and multiply.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

He wouldn't last 5 minutes over there!

And they would be less polite.

I was thing that too!

On reflection, he probably would. But no longer. 

(I managed ten minutes there once, but I had my eyes closed.)

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I couldn't find any conversations about boating. All were threads about CWF!

It was a bit like that for a while, much less so now. The front page currently has just one such item, it's in praise of Dylan's contribution. Which the humourless ones on here have now stifled of course!

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

A funny bunny. He was magic, in a roundabout kinda way! 

It is a sad reflection on the humourlessness of our mod team, that he has been modded into submission.

I'm sure he has been on here in years past, I recognise the writing style. Very engaging and amusing.

"It would be nice if they would make a telly programme about magic rabbits and roundabouts."

Zebedee.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is a sad reflection on the humourlessness of our mod team, that he has been modded into submission.

I'm sure he has been on here in years past, I recognise the writing style. Very engaging and amusing.

I have just checked. No report has been made about the "Bear" thread, and Dylan has not received any official warning. Beyond that, I know nothing.

I am sorry that you find the moddies humourless.

Yes, his style is engaging and amusing.