Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, George Kennedy said:

Did  I say that there was any damage? I just questioned using the bottom gate as a buffer stop.

No you weren't! You worked up an incident in a lock into a rant about how all working boats are destroying the sytem:

58 minutes ago, George Kennedy said:

I also get the impression  that some owners of ex-working boats forget that their boats are just leisure boats and believe that they can basically do what they like and have some priority over everyone else using the canals. CaRT have a responsibility to maintain the waterways but surely they can't be held accountable for the actions of every idiot that they have had the misfortune to issue a licence to.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, George Kennedy said:

....... but I also get the impression  that some owners of ex-working boats forget that their boats are just leisure boats and believe that they can basically do what they like and have some priority over everyone else using the canals.

So how did the owner of Corona indicate to you that he thought he had any kind of priority over everyone else using the canals?

It would be highly uncharacteristic of the man many of us know.

As to just leisure boats, both mine indeed are just that, but in this case you have picked a bad example......

Corona.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

.......and some of the owners of old working boats are actualy newbies so will make mistakes.

But in this particular case I very much doubt you could name a working boat owner that has owned his boat longer, and indeed operated it continually for all of that time. I don't know exactly when he acquired Corona, but he must have been boating it now for not far off 50 years without BW or CRT having to intervene and revoke his licence.

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Assuming it was the owner steering (which I doubt), then that'll be one of the very few things he's "smashed" into in the 55 years he's owned the boat.

Edit to add, Trevor's also very careful who he lets steer his boat too.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But in this particular case I very much doubt you could name a working boat owner that has owned his boat longer, and indeed operated it continually for all of that time. I don't know exactly when he acquired Corona, but he must have been boating it now for not far off 50 years without BW or CRT having to intervene and revoke his licence.

It's unlikely Trevor was steering

Richard

Edited by RLWP

30 minutes ago, George Kennedy said:

Did  I say that there was any damage?

You said

it seems to me that that for those on this forum who complain about the poor state of the infrastructure and blame CaRT for lack of maintenance, they are wasting their time and pointing their fingers in the wrong direction.

It is very hard to not read that that you think what you say has contributed in some way to the "poor state of the infrastructure".  Do you think the boat did damage or not?  If you do, what damage do you think was done, or if you don't, what was your intended meaning of the sentence I have quoted then?

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough - you clearly know more than I do.

I can't recall ever having seen anybody else at the tiller, so I was making assumptions.

Bearing in mind I was working and popped my head out to admire the passing boat, I don't remember the steerer as looking old enough to have owned Corona for 50 years

Richard

I suppose the question would be.... If ex working boats are perceived as pleasure craft.... Would this thread even exist if it was, say a Reeves, Hudson or Liverpool boats or colecraft boat?

Me thinks not.

Edited by stagedamager
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough - you clearly know more than I do.

I can't recall ever having seen anybody else at the tiller, so I was making assumptions.

Sad thing is this whole thread has come bout by someone making assumptions , the worst of which being that the incident if it can be called that , was a purposeful act , then that it was a very experienced boaters normal behaviour which i am sure it certainly isnt, then that anyone with a similar boat behaves in exactly the same way .... all of these assumptions being wholly incorrect ...

rather than this thread there should have been a poll asking , do you use your boat regularly for cruising, if so, have you ever once hit anything, lock gate/ landing, boat, bank , bridge other boat whether it was your fault or not , (stuck throttle , failed gear cable, wind , something round the prop or tiller) ... then when you think of the worse one possible , start a thread i.e. i hit a gate on aston lock once , but give no details then let everyone post and assume why and of course call you blind and tell you what a scourge on the maintenance of the canal system you are as that pretty much equates to what the op has done on this thread ... oh and another rule, you must be absent and have no means of responding although you are publicly named and shamed!

Rick

• Greenie 1

The OP has witnessed the sort of mishap that can happen to any of us and seized upon the opportunity to use it along with circumstantial evidence to write a scathing report to support his controversial title "Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?" , ignoring his poor spelling I conclude he is a frustrated SUN headline writer, and probably ex working boat owner wannabe.

I suspect the main privilege of owning an historic working boat is that of spending a lot of one's own money on preserving a bit of history for others to gawp at. 

The main difference between this and owning Lutine is that no one gawps at Lutine, so no one complains on here when i hit something...

Is that about right?

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes Alan,

You and the rest of us who know Trevor and see him boating, know that he's amongst the very best.

Shame you didn't make Alvecote. Great weekend. And I hope the patient is recovering well.

James

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes. I dont know the boat or driver but methinks the original poster was having a bad day!!

I feel privileged to own and steer an ex working boat carefully effectively and safely, but have had many incidents over the  last 38 years involving the contact of iron and paint. Ex cargo boats have little reverse  action great weight and mass. The bottom is frequently too near the top and the actions of others unpredictable.

I feel sure the original poster has owned the same car since new never scratched it never had an accident and it is in pristine condition. I would feel privileged to see photos or is that priveleged ?

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

As to just leisure boats, both mine indeed are just that, but in this case you have picked a bad example......

Corona.JPG

Just out of interest, in what way is this not a leisure boat? Notwithstanding it's original use, of course, but whether a boat is "leisure" or "working" in my book relates not to the original purpose, but to the purpose for which it's currently being used.

Anyway, I don't know Trevor but 2 things come to mind one of which is that if he were indeed driving (which seems in doubt) any late 70s person may have eyesight or mental capacity issues. There is no licensing to drive a narrowboat, no medical required and so no mechanism to stop people boating who really shouldn't be.

And secondly, anyone whose own name is in much larger writing than their boat's name is suspect IMO!

Edited by nicknorman
Conditional subjunctive in case Athy is reading.

If my memory is in gear I think Trevor acquired "Corona" 66/68sh & has boated non stop since, during the time I boated he possibly clattered the gates after getting a blade full, at the time I was boating I never saw him make any move on any canal structure that would result in damage it would not be in his or any ones interest as it could result in a stoppage Does the OP know if he picked up a blade full on "chucking back " & having no means of stopping

• Greenie 1

Just now, X Alan W said:

If my memory is in gear I think Trevor acquired "Corona" 66/68sh & has boated non stop since, during the time I boated he possibly clattered the gates after getting a blade full, at the time I was boating I never saw him make any move on any canal structure that would result in damage it would not be in his or any ones interest as it could result in a stoppage Does the OP know if he picked up a blade full on "chucking back " & having no means of stopping

But surely he had two other blades? Anyway, I think the point is that it wasn't him driving.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Just out of interest, in what way is this not a leisure boat?

Because it is full of bagged coal for sale?

And the 'blade' thing is historical. 'Blade' is how people referred the the propeller before leisure boating became widespread. It is still very common in boatyards

Richard

I have no way of telling the rights and wrongs of this case, It is, however, true that old boat owners are a very visible minority and to some extent the public sins of one or two are visited upon the whole. Therefore anyone steering an old boat has a duty to all old boat owners to behave in an exemplary fashion at all times.

I recently had a small run-in with a steerer (first time I've ever been called a "wanker" on a lock landing, at least to my face).  I know enough old boats and old boaters to be able to put it down to one bad apple having a bad day, but most leisure boaters treated the way I was would have formed the strong opinion that old boat steerers do indeed think they have special privileges, and would have told all their friends in the pub too. Said bad apple would therefore have done real harm to the whole old boat owning community.

MP.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Just out of interest, in what way is this not a leisure boat? Notwithstanding it's original use, of course, but whether a boat is "leisure" or "working" in my book relates not to the original purpose, but to the purpose for which it's currently being used.

Anyway, I don't know Trevor but 2 things come to mind one of which is that if he were indeed driving (which seems in doubt) any late 70s person may have eyesight or mental capacity issues. There is no licensing to drive a narrowboat, no medical required and so no mechanism to stop people boating who really shouldn't be.

And secondly, anyone whose own name is in much larger writing than their boat's name is suspect IMO!

I personally resent that wholly uncalled for remark which is surprisingly ill-informed.