Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
blackrose

Hurricane Irma

Featured Posts

I did not realise that CanalTime had a base over there.

Thank goodness, most of the boats appear to be afloat and the right way up.

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's not the way it appears to me, but if you're right then perhaps that's just because we can't see what's underneath!

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suspect that the marine insurance business is going to start putting up premiums, and guess who will end up paying!

I think that you'll find that they already do in that area. A friend sailed in the ARC to get to the Caribbean for the end of November (after the hurricane season) to spend some time cruising the Caribbean but he had to be out before the following year's hurricanes as his insurance premiums would have been astronomical if he hadn't.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Should have gone to specsavers!!

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm glad I'm not moored there!

Picture from the British Virgin Islands in the wake of Hurricane Irma. 

Boats crammed against the shore in Paraquita Bay in the British Virgin Islands

Looks like an old photo of Whilton or Braunston marina in the early 70's

• Greenie 1

Two weeks ago we were in St Martin and seeing what has happened is very upsetting, I feel very sorry for the people have been affected.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm glad I'm not moored there!

Picture from the British Virgin Islands in the wake of Hurricane Irma. 

Boats crammed against the shore in Paraquita Bay in the British Virgin Islands

I have a good friend who moors his sail boat at one of the marina's on Tortola Island BVI.  Very sad for all those involved & affected by the devastation. 

It was years ago the last time I was there, but such a beautiful, layed back and tranquil place.  What was quite disturbing though, that there seemed to be only two classes of people...the ultra rich visitors and the islands inhabitents who served, waited on and provided the services for the ultra rich, they were extremely poor & in most parts lived in what can only be described as little more than large garden sheds; away from and out of sight of the luxury homes owned or hired out to island visitors.  Hopefully things have change for the better for them since I was last there.

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think that you'll find that they already do in that area. A friend sailed in the ARC to get to the Caribbean for the end of November (after the hurricane season) to spend some time cruising the Caribbean but he had to be out before the following year's hurricanes as his insurance premiums would have been astronomical if he hadn't.

Yep, most U.K. Insurers will not allow you to go north of Trinidad in the hurricane season. Too windy for plastic boats. 

I feel for those guys but why do they park there between Aug and Nov? Go south to Trinidad and be safe.

10 hours ago, Bettie Boo said:

I have a good friend who moors his sail boat at one of the marina's on Tortola Island BVI.  Very sad for all those involved & affected by the devastation. 

It was years ago the last time I was there, but such a beautiful, layed back and tranquil place.  What was quite disturbing though, that there seemed to be only two classes of people...the ultra rich visitors and the islands inhabitents who served, waited on and provided the services for the ultra rich, they were extremely poor & in most parts lived in what can only be described as little more than large garden sheds; away from and out of sight of the luxury homes owned or hired out to island visitors.  Hopefully things have change for the better for them since I was last there.

Looking at the news its wiped the islands out without any thought of rick or poor! I am only surprised that people have survived looking at the devastation

Its not only that region.

I have this clause in my insurance :

•  If “Sea Wolf” is in Scotland or Ireland, or is less than 21ft (6.5m) in length, during the period 15/10 to 31/3, she will be ashore or in a marina when not navigating.

So - no leaving her on a swinging mooring in the dangerous area that is known as Scotland or Ireland

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not only that region.

I have this clause in my insurance :

•  If “Sea Wolf” is in Scotland or Ireland, or is less than 21ft (6.5m) in length, during the period 15/10 to 31/3, she will be ashore or in a marina when not navigating.

So - no leaving her on a swinging mooring in the dangerous area that is known as Scotland or Ireland

how do you make it shorter?

Sign in to follow this