Inverter Will Not Shut Off

mz-Blue

Featured Posts

The switch on the front will not be handling the full DC current so is only a "signal" switch and is likely to be a very standard item. potentially from the automotive world. Its probably cheap and horrible inside and the guts do stick from time to time. I suspect if you ca get access to the switch you will find it is fairly easily replaceable. The switch on my el Cheapo Maplin inverter is a small rectangular job and I am sure it just clips in place so could easily be levered out of its hole using a thin screwdriver without touching anything else. may of the rectangular switches are like this. Lever at the narrower ends.

On 2017-09-07 at 04:28, Bloomsberry said:

If the switch on the unit won't turn it off then can only assume it's knackered and none replaceable.

IMO options are

1) Fit an isolation switch on the 12V in

2) Replace the inverter

I had disconnected the batteries from the inverter. And will use method 1 and install an switch in line before the inverter. That is a simple low cost solution.  Thanks 

Often not. Such things are made of thermo-plastic these days and that soften when heated. I find that especially with rectangular switches but others also, the fixed contacts can sink into the plastic when the contact between fixed and moving contacts becomes poor. If it is a square or rectangular switch try gently levering out  as I described earlier but make sure the using is isolated first. Once you can get at the back you can use a continuity tester (beep tester) or an ohm meter on the terminals to see if its the switch or another fault.