Kabola old dutch diesel stove

Featured Posts

Yellow = poor / incomplete combustion causing inefficiency, sooting and possible dangerous gasses.

Could be a number of things but there's a thread here that may give you some pointers.

http://www.waterwaysworld.com/questionspost.cgi?post=674

Hi,

Really a good clean and vac. of the fire and flue is the first thing to do and don't add too much diesel or meths (if you light it with meths). Check the vent and counterweight operate satisfactorily.

I thought the answers in the WW article very helpful, especially the last one by P. Horrocks.

I have yet to light mine this year - be interested to hear how you get on.

My OD4 had a good overhaul last year, removed it from the boat, removed and cleaned the carb. and filter, renewed  the fuel shut off valve and replaced the catalyst. On the OD$ it's difficult to get to the filter without removing the fire. I have drilled a few holes in a fixed blanking plate to allow easy access whilst the fire is in situ.

When cleaning the burner pot,  make sure all the holes are clear by pushing a small drill bit through them.  

If after cleaning, you still get a yellow rolling flame, rather than blue flames, particularly on the lower settings of the regulator, then you will need to set up the high and low flame settings, as described in the manual. These are located on the regulator, at the base of the stove. 

The adjusting screws are very sensitive, so only move then a quarter turn at a time and wait 15 minutes for the flames to stabilise before moving again. 

This post details my trials and tribulations. 

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance.

UPDATE

Firstly thanks to all for your inputs

For any future people needing help here are my findings.

MY ISSUES

How do I light 

Why is flame yellow

My findings via this thread

CLEANING

Clean and decoke every thing paying special attention to burner holes 

LIGHTING

Set regulator to number two 

Bleed a small amount of fuel through add either a capful of meths or a small cube of fire lighter and ignite.

Hold in plunger for a further minute 

I found that the higher you have it set the more yellow the flame and when adjusting don't got too far at once maybe just 1\4 stops and wait 15 mins for effect .(patience)

Mine runs best on 1 1\4 

Also worth noting I was bench testing mine outside in sunlight ( maybe having more draft caused a few issues)

I think it would draw different inside the boat when fitted ? 

Certainly the bright light made the flames appear yellower 

Anyway I now have a lovely blue flame and what a cracking little stove the old Dutch is 

Thanks again all

IMG_20170907_203137.jpg

Hi,

Good news, a couple of points, allow a while for the flue to heat up and improve flame colour.

These carburettors are a universal fitting and used on much larger Reflecks stoves, I find the setting on mine is best about 1 to 2 on the regulator, much above 2.5 will cause over fuelling and a yellow flame.

Mine burns for ages on a low setting and produces good results both space and water heating.

Hope yours burns well when re-fitted to the boat.

Glad you got it going, and hope you still get blue flames when it's on the boat. At least now you know what to do if they go yellow again.

I find mine will run happily for about 500 hours continuously between major cleans, with a minor clean of dropping a Russboy stove cleaning tablet into it after about 250 hours.

Yes, providing it is not very windy and the boat is fitted with a CO alarm and smoke detector.

During our winter cruises I light the stove before we set off and turn it off when we return home, unless the cruise is a long one, in which case the stove gets a mid-cruise clean.

Mine will stay lit on a very low setting (just below no.1) for a month. These small stoves are good, fitted wth a fuel shut off valve in the event of an 'overboil' situation and a shut off valve if the flame goes out.

Take care you don't damage the thermo coupling inside the burner, if broken the fire won't stay alight.

When testing mine after I had finally got the low flame adjustment right, I left mine running for 5 days, but I have an end of garden mooring, so it was easy to keep an eye on. 

I  would run it when you are on the boat, and not leave it unattended.  Mine heats the boat up from cold within the hour, particularly if assisted by the Webasto (which warms the back end of the boat up much more quickly than the Old Dutch).