Nice looking Battery Monitor

Robbo

Featured Posts

Just come across the products from Simarine and if your'e like me and like monitoring stuff then you may be interested in the products.

It's basically a multi shunt setup so can monitor individual loads like fridge, charger, solar, lights, etc., as well as connections for tank level monitoring.

https://www.simarine.net/

Looks like they have a Smart Power Panel in development as well which looks quite tasty.

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Can't any single shunt meter monitor individual loads - as long as everything else is switched off? :P Ok, for mains appliances you'll need to have the inverter switched on, but then you just subtract the inverter load from the total.

Yes, but that's not the point.   If your like me you like to see what individual devices are doing all at the same time.   The price seems reasonable, and it's modular based so can be added to.

14 minutes ago, mross said:

Interesting!  Thanks for posting.  I would prefer to see a chart of amps or watts over the previous 24 hours; I'm not sure the instantaneous load of the fridge is very useful.

There's a good FAQ here https://www.simarine.net/support-faq/

I agree, a historical graph I think is a must for this type of product.

Edited by Robbo

This is an interesting device. It says it takes a few cycles before it correctly displays capacity which suggests they might have their own version of the Gibbo/Smargage approach rather than just counting amp-hours. Looks a bit ultra modern to fit in an engine room but I am still going to find out more about it.

................Dave

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I like the look of that. 

It does look quite sweet. The only off putting thing is its sold in e thingies with stripes on? that sounds like some weird currency owned by no particular country?

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It does look quite sweet. The only off putting thing is its sold in e thingies with stripes on? that sounds like some weird currency owned by no particular country?

Sadly they are now very similar to a proper pound.

...............Dave

2 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

Them e numbers can play havoc with you!

Rick 

Small world old sport. Believe it or not I just pmed you!!

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

Do they produce their own coinage?

14 hours ago, dmr said:

...............Dave

The pound was on the up against the euro yesterday.

Just a guessing game as to when to buy anything priced in euros at the moment. :rolleyes:

Might be tempted to buy one of these monitors over the winter months.

22 hours ago, Robbo said:

Yes, but that's not the point.   If your like me you like to see what individual devices are doing all at the same time.  

I guess I'm not like you because it IS the point for me. I've never needed to do that. I generally know what each appliance draws so the total is fine with me. If I need to see the power draw of anything in isolation it's simple enough on a single shunt monitor.

Also won't the wiring get unnecessarily complicated on this multi-shunt unit? Perhaps I've misunderstood that bit.

Edited by blackrose

Here is a reply I received from Simarine.

as promised, please find attached a history statistic screen. 
For the moment is statistic screen locked in Pico, because we made a better one and will be automatically updated with next firmware update in about 10-14 days.
You will see a statistic for the every consumer or generator separately, also for all of them together and see it for up to 3 months back.

history_energy_720.png

Edited by mross
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mross said:

Here is a reply I received from Simarine.

as promised, please find attached a history statistic screen. 
For the moment is statistic screen locked in Pico, because we made a better one and will be automatically updated with next firmware update in about 10-14 days.
You will see a statistic for the every consumer or generator separately, also for all of them together and see it for up to 3 months back.

history_energy_720.png

Now that is nice.  Think it’s now on my shopping list !

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

I guess I'm not like you because it IS the point for me. I've never needed to do that. I generally know what each appliance draws so the total is fine with me. If I need to see the power draw of anything in isolation it's simple enough on a single shunt monitor.

Also won't the wiring get unnecessarily complicated on this multi-shunt unit? Perhaps I've misunderstood that bit.

They do a single shunt version that can also do the tank levels as well.   For the multi shunt they have a low current 4 shunt module which should help with the wiring.  Some people find a 3 pin plug wiring complicated.  The wiring diagrams for this seem fairly simple for someone who is technically adapt.

Edited by Robbo

Have just ordered one and a couple of shunts.  Will report on how I like, will also compare against a BMV602.  Don't have a Smartguage so can't do a comparison against this which will I think be the most interesting result.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Have just ordered one and a couple of shunts.  Will report on how I like, will also compare against a BMV602.  Don't have a Smartguage so can't do a comparison against this which will I think be the most interesting result.

I will be interested in your feedback as this could well be on our winter shopping list.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the Simarine installed for a 2-3 days now with only one shunt installed (I've another to do)...   Here are my initial thoughts.

Provided cables are long enough for most environments.  (too long if have multiple shunts next to each other!)

Shunts (300/500amp) are in covered boxes so can be used on positive cables, etc.

Ends on provided cables for voltage will more than likely need replacing for the battery terminals as they are really too small.

Alot of the features in the firmware don't seem to be available, such as the ability to change the wifi mode so it can join a network instead of been a AP even though the option is in the menu.   You can tell it's been actively developed which may not be for everyone.

Act of upgrading the firmware is easy via the iOS/Android app.

The Battery SOC percentage seems accurate even when charging (although the time to charge isn't!), it has a input for battery capacity and mine will now be way off as I used the batteries spec and they are 4 years old!   However it's early days to really confirm if this is the case but it doesn't feel like a amp counter (there is no display for amps/in out).

Wifi range is okay, but put behind a steel bulkhead and you will seriously reduce it's range.

If your the type of person that needs the latest gadget then I would recommend.   Hopefully the next firmware will be out soon so can check historical data and will report on that.

If you're the type that wants a smartguage replacement then it looks promising.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

I am keeping a close eye on this. Ive asked them a few questions but had no response to the more difficult ones. My fear is that its a Smargtgage replacement that needs a shunt which is expensive and a waste of possibilities. If its a battery monitor then I would like a screen showing essential battery stuff....clever state of charge/ amp hours / amps in and out/voltage/voltage of starter battery. Display of other amps is useful. I fear at present its too big on time of day/barometric pressure/nice graphics but weak on basic electricity monitoring. I would also love a good data logging facility.

Once it does this stuff then I will get one.

................Dave

1 hour ago, midsmatt said:

So would it be safe to say give it another six months if you want something ready to go out of the box? Seems they have a few kinks to iron out 

The basic's are there already and could easily be a swap out for smartguage or Victron, but it's not meant to be a basic monitor.