Work of Art!!! On flea bay

bigcol

Featured Posts

From the Rickmansworth location, I'm assuming perhaps the one by John Pattle at P&S marine that has been advertised in the past.

So how does putting it on e-Bay work then?  I'm not an expert, but there are low bids with no apparent mention of a reserve.  What happens if it does not reach anywhere like the previously very large sums being asked.

(And "yes", IMO far too big for a narrow boat, although several I think have something similar).

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What happens if it does not reach anywhere like the previously very large sums being asked.

It sells for the final auction price unless the seller gets nervous and removes it for sale due to a low amount of bids (I think it can't be cancelled in the final 24hours).Any serious bidder is likely to view and then bid in the final moments of the auction.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

From the Rickmansworth location, I'm assuming perhaps the one by John Pattle at P&S marine that has been advertised in the past.

So how does putting it on e-Bay work then?  I'm not an expert, but there are low bids with no apparent mention of a reserve.  What happens if it does not reach anywhere like the previously very large sums being asked.

(And "yes", IMO far too big for a narrow boat, although several I think have something similar).

I haven't sold anything on eBay for a few years now, not since the big "moving onto the boat must sell everything we have collected over our entire lives" adventure.

The reserve could be either public or hidden. Think the hidden one costs a little bit but is seen to have advantages. Some folk put off by a big reserve so don't bid, with no visible reserve can get much more bidding which then goes higher than an otherwise public reserve. People are funny creatures.

This certainly worked when I sold my old VW camper.

...........Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

I haven't sold anything on eBay for a few years now, not since the big "moving onto the boat must sell everything we have collected over our entire lives" adventure.

The reserve could be either public or hidden. Think the hidden one costs a little bit but is seen to have advantages. Some folk put off by a big reserve so don't bid, with no visible reserve can get much more bidding which then goes higher than an otherwise public reserve. People are funny creatures.

This certainly worked when I sold my old VW camper.

...........Dave

So (showing my ignorance!), in this case where it currently shows 2 bids, but the highest at only £102, but does not show "reserve not met", are you saying the people who have bid know there is a reserve they have not met, but the rest of us can not know that?

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It sells for the final auction price unless the seller gets nervous and removes it for sale due to a low amount of bids (I think it can't be cancelled in the final 24hours).Any serious bidder is likely to view and then bid in the final moments of the auction.

Correct sir!

unless if it doesn't reach enough at the final stages, he has a mate or son one put a bid in for the least he wants.not allowed as per eBay rules. But it happens.

Example if it was my engine,

I sell it as sell to highest bidder no reserve

but it's covered because someone I know, has puts, let's say £4000, the lowest figure I want for it.

and of course it won't sell to anyone below that price.

in the end of course you will have to pay 10% of the selling price as per eBay rules, 

Edited by bigcol

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So (showing my ignorance!), in this case where it currently shows 2 bids, but the highest at only £102, but does not show "reserve not met", are you saying the people who have bid know there is a reserve they have not met, but the rest of us can not know that?

On this occasion there is no reserve!!!

so if no one has bided let say the lowest the seller wants 

then it will sell to highest bidder  for at now £ 102!!

but it won't because us lot would bid just to have it, in front of the TV in the lounge!!!

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So (showing my ignorance!), in this case where it currently shows 2 bids, but the highest at only £102, but does not show "reserve not met", are you saying the people who have bid know there is a reserve they have not met, but the rest of us n not know that?

Really can't remember, it was almost ten years ago, and anyway I expect things have changed, all sorts of automated late bidding software is now available which has made ebay very different.

And using friends to put in pretend bids is against the rules but did work :giggles: , but its a risk if you end up paying charges on high value sales if your mate wins.

There are also options to withdraw items for sale even though this is seen as bad practice. You could, for example, suddenly "discover" that the item was in some way "broken" so not as described.

I got contacted loads of times by buyers offering a good bid if I would end the auction early. Oddly, although I always refused this, very few of those chose to bid in the auction even though the item often went for less than they were offering.

eBay works in strange ways

...............Dave

Just had this back from the seller, if in fact there is a mess up with the listing

i will let him know he can resist and end auction.

col

New message from: wahieke (137Turquoise Star)

Hi Colin I put ad on last night .they messed the price up .someone bid on it and I can't change it.looking for close to £5.950 model no is 1054 46hp a 1500rpm .has a rengits hydraulic 1 1/2 to 1 gear box .have all photos of restoration over two years .regards Andy

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

The listing has now been removed. No harm in starting an auction low on EBay as long as you set a reserve. 

It's a tricky question. Do you start at a low price and risk getting considerably less than you hoped for for your item, or do you set a high opening price and risk putting people off? I have seen both methods work well, and both methods fail.

Perhaps "Buy it now", where everyone knows the price you want from the outset, is the best option.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's a tricky question. Do you start at a low price and risk getting considerably less than you hoped for for your item, or do you set a high opening price and risk putting people off? I have seen both methods work well, and both methods fail.

Perhaps "Buy it now", where everyone knows the price you want from the outset, is the best option.

It can't sell for less than you want if you set a reserve. 

A "Buy it now" prevents two keen biddes battling out, going above your top estimate and making your day. 

12 minutes ago, MHS said:

It can't sell for less than you want if you set a reserve. 

A "Buy it now" prevents two keen biddes battling out, going above your top estimate and making your day. 

As I said, it's a tricky question. Setting a high "Buy it now" price and then allowing "best offers" is another tactic which I have seen work, and which indeed I have availed myself of when buying.

Its gonna be a difficult engine to shift as no-one wants four cylinder motors. Too big for a narrowboat and too small for a Dutch barge.

Best use might be a generator engine on a much larger vessel than a narrowboat, or perhaps a very small small dutch barge.