Advice on the Ouse

Nick D

Featured Posts

We are planning an outing in October from our new mooring at Fairies Hill Marina (Castleford) along the Selby canal and possibly up to Ripon. Would be really grateful for any tips/advice particularly for the tidal Ouse section of the journey. Also would be helpful to know if our 58' would be able to manage the locks up to Ripon.  Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Nick D said:

We are planning an outing in October from our new mooring at Fairies Hill Marina (Castleford) along the Selby canal and possibly up to Ripon. Would be really grateful for any tips/advice particularly for the tidal Ouse section of the journey. Also would be helpful to know if our 58' would be able to manage the locks up to Ripon.  Thanks in advance.

Its a great trip just pick the right tide and try to go in nice weather. When you arrive at Naburn its a doddle and if you need to hang around bottom of the lock its no problem. As to boat length I took my 57 footer up there but its a long time ago so I cant remember how tight it was? You do get some trees sometimes on a big tide but on lesser stuff its realy nice. Have fun. Getting back in at Selby if timed correctly is also a doddle so don't listen to scare stories.

Would agree with mrsmelly but perhaps temper it a bit. Usual precautions on a tidal river (wear life jackets, have anchor handy, Marine Radio is handy). Going upstream is easy, although the flow through the two bridges at Selby can be exciting. All calms down then. Just look out for debris in the river. The lock keeper at Selby will let you out on the flood and you should arrive at Naburn about two and a half hours later just on the ebb. Entry to Naburn Lock is straightforward and easy.

Travelling south on the ebb to Selby is more problematical as the entry to Selby Lock can be tricky. Go past the lock with the ebb, turn and cruise up against the flow for your entry into the lock. 

As mrsmelly says, try and choose a period of settled weather and neap tides are always easier for the Naburn to Selby trip, not so important for the Selby to Naburn leg.

3 hours ago, Derek Porteous said:

Travelling south on the ebb to Selby is more problematical as the entry to Selby Lock can be tricky. Go past the lock with the ebb, turn and cruise up against the flow for your entry into the lock. 

Absolutely critical. I was once with a bunch of people watching a narrowboat come down on the ebb and it became apparent that he intended to try to enter the lock with the flow!!!!!  Fortunately he heard our shouting and gesticulations telling him to go past, turn and push against the flow. Would have been a disaster otherwise.

Neap (low) tides are easy big floods and high fresh water are difficult. 58 foot you can get up to Rippon fantastic journey. Coming back to Selby turn below the two bridges and stem the tide until level with the lock for an easy and controlled entry. The Ouse was our first river trip and we made all the mistakes went out on a big tide and shot through the bridges like a rocket. Coming back again on a big tide started turning level with the lock and found ourselves well downstream, from cruising with a tide of 5 knots and the boat speed of 5 knots to almost stopped struggling to make it back up to the lock the boat in front pinged off the lock like a ping pong ball but I slowed right down as soon as I got in the lock slack water. Later we saw a little springer turn above the lock and enter with none of the fuss. 

Nun Monkton was one of our favourite villages to visit you have to scramble up the bank but worth the effort. 

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)
extra info

Yes it is a good trip up to Ripon (don't forget the Wakeman ceremony there every night at 9pm) we've just done it in our 60 footer OK. All the above advice is good, I was concerned about the turn to get back into Selby Lock as I wasn't sure about how much power I'd got for our 18 ton boat, but it all went well.

The only additional advice I'd give is to be aware of Oxclose Lock, the first one on the Ripon Canal. The top end of the lock leaks like a pig and not just through the gates it is leaking under the cill. When coming back down, since I had to put the boat diagonally in the lock, I got pinned against the lock wall by the flow coming from under the cill. It took a couple of 'volunteer' blokes on the lockside and Mrs WV pulling on a rope attached to the stern bollard to get the back of the boat across, I couldn't do it either with the engine or with a pole. It is due for maintenance this winter and sorely needs it. The flow coming into the lock makes opening the bottom gates pretty difficult as well.

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, The Bagdad Boatman (waits) said:

Neap (low) tides are easy big floods and high fresh water are difficult. 58 foot you can get up to Rippon fantastic journey. Coming back to Selby turn below the two bridges and stem the tide until level with the lock for an easy and controlled entry. 

That's how we were adbisdc to do it by the lock keeper at Naburn. Was a perfect entry jnlike our previous effort 20 years earlier coming upstream from the Derwent when the stream took us onto a moored coaster.

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes it is a good trip up to Ripon (don't forget the Wakeman ceremony there every night at 9pm) we've just done it in our 60 footer OK. All the above advice is good, I was concerned about the turn to get back into Selby Lock as I wasn't sure about how much power I'd got for our 18 ton boat, but it all went well.

The only additional advice I'd give is to be aware of Oxclose Lock, the first one on the Ripon Canal. The top end of the lock leaks like a pig and not just through the gates it is leaking under the cill. When coming back down, since I had to put the boat diagonally in the lock, I got pinned against the lock wall by the flow coming from under the cill. It took a couple of 'volunteer' blokes on the lockside and Mrs WV pulling on a rope attached to the stern bollard to get the back of the boat across, I couldn't do it either with the engine or with a pole. It is due for maintenance this winter and sorely needs it. The flow coming into the lock makes opening the bottom gates pretty difficult as well.

Its recent valuable advice like this that's a great part of the forum.

Thanks for all the great advice and tips which has convinced me this is a journey worth doing, unless we have masses of rain early October.  I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

- regarding the anchor - there seem to be so many different types.  What sort should I go for and how long does the chain need to be?  Are anchors just for emergencies, or do most people use them for mooring on strong rivers?

- when I get to the Selby lock for entry onto the Ouse, do I need to time it, or do we just wait till the lock keeper says it's ok to go?

appreciate your help on this.

24 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Thanks for all the great advice and tips which has convinced me this is a journey worth doing, unless we have masses of rain early October.  I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

- regarding the anchor - there seem to be so many different types.  What sort should I go for and how long does the chain need to be?  Are anchors just for emergencies, or do most people use them for mooring on strong rivers?

- when I get to the Selby lock for entry onto the Ouse, do I need to time it, or do we just wait till the lock keeper says it's ok to go?

appreciate your help on this.

The lockie will advise. Very helpful.

we didn't see a cow, in the water anyway. We had life jackets but have to confess didn't wear them. Had the anchor ready. In October I may wear the jacket. Great fun. Good to get back on the Canals though.