Blocked Llangollen Canal at Shropshire Union Lock

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, dor said:

Surely he is going downhill; I.e. away from Llangollen?

All the more reason to sympathise, it made it up so it would be expected to make it back down, unless you are going to suggest it was built on the llangollen and this is the first time it has moved? 

It has passed all the other locks one would think, to the boater why would the last one be any different?  Not all boaters have your standards of proficiency or foresight, perhaps its just somewhere to live instead of a doorway not a chosen lifestyle.

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

All the more reason to sympathise, it made it up so it would be expected to make it back down, unless you are going to suggest it was built on the llangollen and this is the first time it has moved? 

It has passed all the other locks one would think, to the boater why would the last one be any different?  Not all boaters have your standards of proficiency or foresight, perhaps its just somewhere to live instead of a doorway not a chosen lifestyle.

Any boater going on to the Llangollen without being aware of the issues with lock four at Hurleston needs to wake up a bit.

And Hurleston is only open under CRT supervision, so one has to wonder how they got stuck.  CRT instruction is to keep back in the lock; how long is this boat?

10 minutes ago, dor said:

Any boater going on to the Llangollen without being aware of the issues with lock four at Hurleston needs to wake up a bit.

I think it's a reasonable point boater sam makes. The boat obviously fitted through going the other way. 

Another possibility is he had been on the Llan for a long time and IS aware of the narrowing lock so decided to get out before it is too late, but left it, errr, too late.  

9 minutes ago, dor said:

And Hurleston is only open under CRT supervision, so one has to wonder how they got stuck.  CRT instruction is to keep back in the lock; how long is this boat?

I'll ask the lock keeper when I see him, he lives very close.

Please don't continue to blame the boater until we know more, as I said we are not all as "awake"  as you all the time.

I only made a comment, my view. I don't come on here day after day for an argument but a discussion is welcomed. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

So why the animosity against this poor boater? All he wanted to do was go to LLangollen along with lots of others and now he is being lambasted for having an individual boat fit out on a very ordinary correct size shell.

I think he is trying to escape from Llangollen

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

I feel a cold chill down my back suddenly. Its most unlike me, I know, but I have some sympathy for the boat owner. 

Its probably all he/she can afford and its not his fault that the lock has shrunk and grabbed his boat.

It has obviously been able to get the hull into the lock, and most likely the whole boat through many locks without experiencing the problem he has encountered here, through no fault of his own.

Its unusual for comments on here to be so uncharitable, I'm quite shocked ladies and gents.

How would you feel if someone called your home afloat a monstrosity? We have seen far worse recently, huge fat boats that don't even fit in the canal nevermind the locks, containers on pontoons, sheds on oil drums.

So why the animosity against this poor boater? All he wanted to do was go to LLangollen along with lots of others and now he is being lambasted for having an individual boat fit out on a very ordinary correct size shell.

I totally agree - it's beyond me how you can't feel sorry for the owner of the boat in these circumstances.   

I can't see from that picture why one should assume the rest of the boat is a mess - as far as I can tell he's just rigged something up to get some dry usable space at the sharp end. Wish I could. We can't all afford a few thousand quid to have it done in steel. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't see from that picture why one should assume the rest of the boat is a mess - as far as I can tell he's just rigged something up to get some dry usable space at the sharp end. Wish I could. We can't all afford a few thousand quid to have it done in steel. 

Sophie Tucker

"I've been poor and I've been rich, rich is better!" 

The vast majority never get to find out. 

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And so what even if it IS a mess? I very much doubt if the chicken shed is the bit that's wedged.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There seem to be some people on here who think that anything other than a 'proper' boat in pristine condition should not be on the canals.  I started out with an ex-Army bridge pontoon conversion, and never met anyone who suggested it was 'Not good enough'.  That includes real old boaters. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

My old boats have looked a real mess at times in our lives together, bad paint damaged cloths etc. it happens. The butty got so bad before the rebuild it nearly sank.

There is however, a difference between a boat in need of TLC and a boat heaped high in junk, toilet cassettes, rusty bikes, tarps, rubbish that obviously never used and been there accumulating for years. Not saying the stuck boat is one of these, but they are very different from the boats where the owners have some pride but no money. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I feel a cold chill down my back suddenly. Its most unlike me, I know, but I have some sympathy for the boat owner. 

Its probably all he/she can afford and its not his fault that the lock has shrunk and grabbed his boat.

It has obviously been able to get the hull into the lock, and most likely the whole boat through many locks without experiencing the problem he has encountered here, through no fault of his own.

Its unusual for comments on here to be so uncharitable, I'm quite shocked ladies and gents.

How would you feel if someone called your home afloat a monstrosity? We have seen far worse recently, huge fat boats that don't even fit in the canal nevermind the locks, containers on pontoons, sheds on oil drums.

Settle down Sam. :D

You're the self-confessed and undisputed king of curmudgeon so I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between a flippant throwaway comment based on nothing more than a partial photo and a serious attack on the innocent. None of us have any idea whether this was recklessness or misfortune, whether it's a photo of a momentary pause or a boat wedged forever,  or whether Mother Theresa or the devil himself was the pilot. Outrage on behalf of an unknown other should remain the preserve of the snowflake generation on Facebook which, funnily enough, appears to be the source. Lets leave that to them - there's plenty of threads about petrol for us to have cold chills about. ;)

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Settle down Sam. :D

You're the self-confessed and undisputed king of curmudgeon so I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between a flippant throwaway comment based on nothing more than a partial photo and a serious attack on the innocent. None of us have any idea whether this was recklessness or misfortune, whether it's a photo of a momentary pause or a boat wedged forever,  or whether Mother Theresa or the devil himself was the pilot. Outrage on behalf of an unknown other should remain the preserve of the snowflake generation on Facebook which, funnily enough, appears to be the source. Lets leave that to them - there's plenty of threads about petrol for us to have cold chills about. ;)

Well said...a comment many should note! I'm tall but couldn't reach the horse height some have climbed up onto here.

God points mentioned were signage/ CRT mentoring etc. Although given where the main sag in the lock wall is, it's possible for momentum to get a boat past it going up & a narrower mid to stern to pass freely...going down with no momentum a wider section of the boat bow-end could get stuck fast. The 2017 issue was an old working boat that had a 8-10" section 1/3 the way down from the bow....an old weld for build or extension?

Still think that the photo makes it look like a chicken coop which leads to mental images of a free-range chicken farm on a boat ?? - other types of farm products are available ?

16 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Well said...a comment many should note! I'm tall but couldn't reach the horse height some have climbed up onto here.

God points mentioned were signage/ CRT mentoring etc. Although given where the main sag in the lock wall is, it's possible for momentum to get a boat past it going up & a narrower mid to stern to pass freely...going down with no momentum a wider section of the boat bow-end could get stuck fast. The 2017 issue was an old working boat that had a 8-10" section 1/3 the way down from the bow....an old weld for build or extension?

Still think that the photo makes it look like a chicken coop which leads to mental images of a free-range chicken farm on a boat ?? - other types of farm products are available ?

& my boat is far from perfect....I can't afford Much on mine, so don't assume 'High & Mighty' approach exists given the first few posts!....it was a bit of fun given the picture and not denegration of someone's lifestyle, manners, tidiness, etc. & nor was it a lack of sympathy for, or pointing the finger at, the owner! Just a bit of light-hearted joviality due to a picture. ??

16 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

A lock is a hole in the ground, which will always try to get smaller.  Is the solution to leave the lock full, not empty.

Building them like this will stop any movement ?

25037.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

44 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Building them like this will stop any movement ?

25037.jpg

Yes, been through that, but what if you can't read the complicated instructions?  We used the old one coming back - much easier and worked fine.

1 minute ago, Chris Williams said:

Yes, been through that, but what if you can't read the complicated instructions?  We used the old one coming back - much easier and worked fine.

Indeed, I only had one trip that way when Thurlwood Steel Lock was in use, but it looked so complicated I chose the other unmodified lock, which is still in use today.

A decision I regret because so few people canaling today will have used it.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, I only had one trip that way when Thurlwood Steel Lock was in use, but it looked so complicated I chose the other unmodified lock, which is still in use today.

On my one trip when it was still there it was out of use, but we spent some time looking round it. A real shame it was demolished soon afterwards.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

We used it just for the experience and to see if it did actually work.  Yet another expensive dead duck.

• Greenie 1