100ah lead acid starter battery

swift1894

Featured Posts

Be canny - find a battery that's popular - and thus tends to be cheaper because of volume purchasing rather than for a specific vehicle. I gave a 50Hp Beta and an 096 type battery starts it easily and has done for many years - I'm on my third in 17 years. My last one was a 'gift' as I managed to choose a battery with the '+' and '-' posts the opposite way around form  normal (my leads are long) and I got a better price.

Aim to pay maximum of about £70, I would say.  Ebay usually yields.  As has been said Amp Hours isn't really relevant, but CCA is (Cold Cranking Amps).  I think it is worth looking for a 3 year warranty, even though most starter batteries will survive far longer than that, if not abused.

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And I bet it does not need to be 100Ah (Should be in CCA or MCA for starting batteries anyway).  If you have  amodern engine I bet an 84Ah one will do just as well.

It's a Gardner 4LW and 100Ah is the recommended size so I'm not going to argue with that:). What would the equivilant CCA/MCA be?

6 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Be canny - find a battery that's popular - and thus tends to be cheaper because of volume purchasing rather than for a specific vehicle. I gave a 50Hp Beta and an 096 type battery starts it easily and has done for many years - I'm on my third in 17 years. My last one was a 'gift' as I managed to choose a battery with the '+' and '-' posts the opposite way around form  normal (my leads are long) and I got a better price.

Have you got a brand name?:detective:

Edited by swift1894

1 minute ago, swift1894 said:

It's a Gardner 4LW and 100Ah is the recommended size so I'm not going to argue with that:)

No - 'cos I buy from Tayna and I chat them up -'nudge, nudge, wink' to find what's hot this week.  For a big slow revving engine, I would be inclined to go for a larger battery because the engine would take a bit more cranking before it catches. My nasty fug-stirrer always starts on the button, so a lot of reserve capacity isn't needed (yet....).

IME until your into special types a 'brand' name is a waste of time as quite often it's only a sticker on the case  and it's only a good quality = buy in bulk supplier that really, really knows what the underlying quality is - hence chat to a real techie, not just a salesperson....   

4 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

It's a Gardner 4LW and 100Ah is the recommended size so I'm not going to argue with that:). What would the equivilant CCA/MCA be?

I can see why you want 100Ah now. Unfortunately there is no asthmatically calculation that is reliable across all batteries so its up to the engien manufacturer to give that info - I know CCA and MCA nothought of when your engine was made.

From Advanced battery supplies about 850 CCA @ £84

3 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

Ah and CCA are completely different.  The first is about gradual discharge of a battery over time - barely relevant, whatever Gardner (or post-Gardner experts) say.  The second is about maximum current to starter motor on an extreme cold start - actually far more relevant.

If you insist on a minimum 100Ah starter battery you are failing to fully understand the problem you seek to solve.

As to brand, I have been to places that say "Do you want an Exide sticker on this, (where the price) will be £x, or an "own brand" (where it will be £y) - there is much badge engineering.  For example "Albion" batteries in chandleries are often identical to "Numax" ones sat alongside, (other than the brand label AND the price label).

7 minutes ago, Exturnaroundman said:

The usual is a 643 or 644 starter battery. The difference is the orientation of the terminals. A Google will show you which is which.

A 663 or 664 starter battery (same size, same terminal layout respectively) has a higher Ah and CCA rating though, so if you want the most powerful for a standard size may be a better option, (though will generally be slightly higher cost).

I'm not sure if there are strictly defined standards for possible Ah and CCA ranges for the two types, but for example this page shows their 64x series batteries as 90Ah and 540 CCA, whereas the same sized 66x series ones are 110Ah and 680 CCA. 

That's significantly more CCA if you have a big engine, start it on compression, and it is known to need a good cranking to guarantee a result.

Not always necessary though.  The clapped Lister HA2 in Flamingo had a basic small car starter battery of unknown age when we bought the boat, and always started it no problems both when clapped, and after a full rebuild, (with a lot more compression!).

13 minutes ago, Exturnaroundman said:

The 643 and 644 are the same size but have reverse terminal layouts. These are the starter batteries fitted to the majority of narowboats, irrespective of whether traditional or modern engine. They are commercial vehicle batteries at the end of the day.

Yes, I know that, (except that I can't validate "the majority of" claim)....................

The 663 and 664 are the same size (as each other and the 643 and 644 you list) but have reverse terminal layouts. These are the starter batteries fitted to significant numbers  of narrowboats, irrespective of whether traditional or modern engine. They are also commercial vehicle batteries at the end of the day.

If you want a battery of this size with the maximum cranking capacity for a big vintage lump, (which is exactly the requirement stated by the OP), then the 663 or 664 will give you more CCA than the ones you list.

That is all.

Edited by alan_fincher

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

I use a type 019 starter battery 100ah 850 CCA for my old beta 1505. Lasts about ten years 

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/heavy-duty-019/

Thanks. Strange that the 019 gives 100Ah/850 CCA (£84) but the 020 gives 110Ah/920 CCA (only£70!). Supply and demand?

Any idea how type 019 relates to type 663 btw?

8 hours ago, swift1894 said:

Thanks. Strange that the 019 gives 100Ah/850 CCA (£84) but the 020 gives 110Ah/920 CCA (only£70!). Supply and demand?

Any idea how type 019 relates to type 663 btw?

The average price for  a 020 is a £100, The company has reduced the price to £70 from £100, which may mean that the company is wanting to shift old stock.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tempted to say 6xx are old UK designations and I bet 019 is EU or US in origin.

If this link I posted earlier is accurate, then an 019 battery is not the sane size overall as a 643 (the one with the equivalent terminal layout)

019 is 353 long x 175 wide x 190 high (case and overall)

643 is 345 long x 175 wide x 212 high (case) or 239 high (overall)

Also it seems 019 has arrangements for hold down clamps that 643 lacks ?

If your battery cradle is as tight as those I had in my last boat an 019 would be too long to fit in lieu of a 643.

However when I have looked into it in the past, I realise not all manufacturers quote exactly the same size for the same designation battery.  i also have some old 644 discarded ones stacked in the garden, and at least one of them differs by several millimetres in some directions from the majority

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If this link I posted earlier is accurate, then an 019 battery is not the sane size overall as a 643 (the one with the equivalent terminal layout)

019 is 353 long x 175 wide x 190 high (case and overall)

643 is 345 long x 175 wide x 212 high (case) or 239 high (overall)

Also it seems 019 has arrangements for hold down clamps that 643 lacks ?

If your battery cradle is as tight as those I had in my last boat an 019 would be too long to fit in lieu of a 643.

However when I have looked into it in the past, I realise not all manufacturers quote exactly the same size for the same designation battery.  i also have some old 644 discarded ones stacked in the garden, and at least one of them differs by several millimetres in some directions from the majority

It is not just the size that varies between manufacturers, the amp/hours and Cold cranking amps also varies between makes. As does the weight of the battery.