Electric set up advice

Peppers

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

No, because they will look at the label on the Bread Maker, see 1200 watts and then note it takes 3 hours to make a loaf of bread. ie. 3.6Kwh

i was suggesting they look at the electricity meter, you know, in units.

i just use a tiny oven rather than the big cooker oven, it cooks breakfast including bread rolls, in one hour, 1000watts, so i guess that  = 1 unit? 15 pence.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

i was suggesting they look at the electricity meter, you know, in units.

i just use a tiny oven rather than the big cooker oven, it cooks breakfast including bread rolls, in one hour, 1000watts, so i guess that  = 1 unit? 15 pence.

But it would probably include the fridge, deep freeze, electric cooker, maybe immersion heater, loads of 60w lights, the vacuum cleaner, kettle and coffee maker 

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But it would probably include the fridge, deep freeze, electric cooker, maybe immersion heater, loads of 60w lights, the vacuum cleaner, kettle and coffee maker 

and the breadmaker.

they will need to empty the freezer, so turn it off, and don't vacuum for a week. a fridge is not needed in this weather. and candles give a nice christmassy feeling. I have some LED lanterns lights in my house, probably saving a few watts there.

I suspect the breadmaker, vacuum,  fridge, coffee maker, and kettle [plus toaster and hair dryer] will find their way on board. 

Edited by LadyG

40 minutes ago, LadyG said:

1000w = about 100Ah from the batteries.

It may cost about 15p if connected to the 'mains' but if you have to  generate that by running your engine you could be looking at 3 hours, at (say) 1 litre per hour, at (say) 80p per litre.

Replacement cost of the 1000w =

15p via the mains

£2.40 via the engine 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

and the breadmaker.

they will need to empty the freezer, so turn it off, and don't vacuum for a week. a fridge is not needed in this weather. and candles give a nice christmassy feeling. I have some LED lanterns lights in my house, probably saving a few watts there.

I suspect the breadmaker, vacuum,  fridge, coffee maker, and kettle [plus toaster and hair dryer] will find their way on board. 

You said to read their meter at home.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2017 at 15:19, Tony Brooks said:

Quote Peppers

"Speakers. What type of speaker that is likely to be used on a boat draws almost half a kW each? I bet that,s the PMP or RMS music figure and not the actual draw. AS there is no mention of a radio or music system I suspect they link to the TV so I doubt they draw more than an few amps.

My partner is a composer so his speakers are heavy duty and connect to the MacBooks/ipad/phone. He would have more if he could! We don't have a TV. Or washing machine, or dishwasher, or hoover, or iron for that matter and haven't for years so probably won't eventually feel the need here either."

I still find it hard to believe they draw almost half a kW each - taken both together that's a small electric fire's consumption.  My son has a five piece band and their full PA including monitors draws far less than that. It works perfectly happily on a 13 amp plug. Please check where that figure came from. I still think its PMP or RMS music power. look for the electrical figures plate on the back.

The power fo the speakers is the maximum that they can produce without distorting or burning out the voice coils.  Unless you are running them full power on a signal generator producing a steady unbearable volume then the average power will be a tiny fraction of this.  Think of the dynamic range of the music.  Even a pop song running chugga chugga for three minutes has breaks between one chugga and the next.

Nick

1 hour ago, smileypete said:

I am late to this topic but it seemed to be a possible example of 'expert hell' :unsure:

The old ones are the best:

"Where x is the unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure"

Hope that everyone had a good Christmas.

N

• 2 months later...

I have read most of the comments made, some make good sense others ! . Can somebody clarify the sound system thread. I, as an audio/hifi enthusiast for many decades have alway worked on rms ( NOT RMS BY THE WAY) anything else is a waste of space, unless you are using electrostatics which have a PSU the only power consumption of the system is that of that amplifier excluding cassette cd vinyl decks, all of which will would be fused at v low amps and in all likelihood pull mA. Anybody really interested in sound quality monitors  would probably use headphones or monitors  ie a pair of high quality speakers. Many speakers do not maketh  a good sound and unless you have a dedicated sound card in your pc neither do computers and laptops certainly don't even Apple. ( They can produce quality files for reproduction elsewhere) . I personally run my DESK TOP into NAD from  Audiophile sound card into Tannoy speakers plus software and this ain't a sophisticated system, but the sound card is crucial. Now none of this has much if anything to do with NB energy use. Basically the audio system is the least of your worries behind washing machines dryers kettles fridges freezers etc ( who on a NB bakes bread) though a Kenwood chef is a needed . I just assume somebody out there can put me right 

On 13/12/2017 at 18:15, LadyG said:

and the breadmaker.

I'm the breadmaker!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My Panasonic breadmaker cracks them out in about two hours...

of course, that's mass production, 12 loaves per day. Each one of mine is unique in design and crustiness.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My Panasonic breadmaker cracks them out in about two hours...

My Panasonic has a flaky tray/tin, and its almost cheaper to buy a new machine than a replacement. 

ETA

Ok I exaggerated a bit, but they aint cheap!

Edited by rusty69

I have read most of the comments made, some make good sense others ! . Can somebody clarify the sound system thread. I, as an audio/hifi enthusiast for many decades have alway worked on rms ( NOT RMS BY THE WAY) anything else is a waste of space, unless you are using electrostatics which have a PSU the only power consumption of the system is that of that amplifier excluding cassette cd vinyl decks, all of which will would be fused at v low amps and in all likelihood pull mA. Anybody really interested in sound quality monitors  would probably use headphones or monitors  ie a pair of high quality speakers. Many speakers do not maketh  a good sound and unless you have a dedicated sound card in your pc neither do computers and laptops certainly don't even Apple. ( They can produce quality files for reproduction elsewhere) . I personally run my DESK TOP into NAD from  Audiophile sound card into Tannoy speakers plus software and this ain't a sophisticated system, but the sound card is crucial. Now none of this has much if anything to do with NB energy use. Basically the audio system is the least of your worries behind washing machines dryers kettles fridges freezers etc ( who on a NB bakes bread) though a Kenwood chef is a needed . I just assume somebody out there can put me right 

OK I stand corrected on the breadmaker but I assume that's while cruising a therefore is a non-battery issue.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

My Panasonic has a flaky tray/tin, and its almost cheaper to buy a new machine than a replacement. 

ETA

Ok i exaggerated abit, but they aint cheap

On a slightly more sensible note, you can get a plug in power meter for measuring appliances.

Edited: Bad me not reading previous page in thread!

Breadmakers always seem to confuse people. A normal 4 hour cycle would be something like 40 minutes kneading and 40 minutes baking. It is only during the 40 minutes baking that the appliance is drawing anything close to it's rated power.  All the rest of the time is waiting for the dough to prove, and unless you are doing anything fancy with it is probably only running a timer clock.

Edited by TheBiscuits

4 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

OK I stand corrected on the breadmaker but I assume that's while cruising a therefore is a non-battery issue.