Fantastic drydocking service

bigcol

Featured Posts

Normally a very Jolly happy person lol
I have to say I've received Excellent service from being in Dry dock at Bulbourne dry docking Nr Marsworth.
Arrived Thursday evening and leaving dry dock tomorrow morning with 2 coats of professional thick blacking, with another coat on the waterline.
This magnificent place is run by Jem, and Scott that works really hard. Pressure washing scrapping the hull, and then the painting.

Free water and electric, you can DIY, or have them carry out the work up to you.

so cost effective as well,, if they do it, but if you want to DIY then they don't mind either.

Value and hard work with 25 litres on the hull near enough.

So if you want blacking boat repairs or complete paint done for you, or do it yourself, I and the misses have done nothing while the work was done.

Widebeams and narrowboat, barges all welcome.
I have nothing but praise for them!!!

give Jem a call

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

• Greenie 1

When I was moored at Brentford I once took my widebeam up to Uxbridge and a few years later to Winkwell for DIY blacking. Uxbridge was handy but expensive (£400/week) and the owner Alan's attitude wasn't always reasonable (which is putting it mildly). Winkwell only cost me £230 for the week for the whole dock but you get ripped off for hire of the pressure washer (£80/day) and anything else you might want from them. Those prices were 10-12 years ago so probably a lot more now. I've been into the Bulbourne drydock and met the owner years ago as he's a friend of a friend, but never used the place myself.

57 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Winkwell only cost me £230 for the week for the whole dock but you get ripped off for hire of the pressure washer (£80/day) and anything else you might want from them

We used the dry dock at Winkwell in 1999,when it was run by the two Kevs. We were also ripped off with the use of their washer. In fact they took the boat out of the water, washed it off themselves, charging us for the privilege, whilst we were at work . It was supposed to be a diy booking. 

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We used the dry dock at Winkwell in 1999,when it was run by the two Kevs. We were also ripped off with the use of their washer. In fact they took the boat out of the water, washed it off themselves, charging us for the privilege, whilst we were at work . It was supposed to be a diy booking. 

Not good, it's £75 per day, plus  labour, but your able to do DIY, has lights so you could work through all hours.

i think rather than hire s pressure washer, but one you can get a good karcher for £50 £60 I know because I have one back in the marina. Works very well, being a karcher, can even use the canal water if no mains water.

£100 to drain £75 per day diy

worked out for me £800 inc vat the blacking and labour, scraping,materials and labour.

plus that spencer plucking is really thick, they heat it up in a drum to apply

so I worked out , 4x75 plus £100 draining and filling plus vat

57 ft x 10 ft

IMG_0440.PNG

2 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Not good, it's £75 per day, plus  labour, but your able to do DIY, has lights so you could work through all hours.

i think rather than hire s pressure washer, but one you can get a good karcher for £50 £60 I know because I have one back in the marina. Works very well, being a karcher, can even use the canal water if no mains water.

£100 to drain £75 per day diy

worked out for me £800 inc vat the blacking and labour, scraping,materials and labour.

plus that spencer plucking is really thick, they heat it up in a drum to apply

so I worked out , 4x75 plus £100 draining and filling plus vat

57 ft x 10 ft

IMG_0440.PNG

Sounds reasonable. 

The place we just had ours done (diy blacking), they washed it off with a karcher, hot washer before we applied our own bitumen. Not covered though, so the first two days waiting for the rain to stop were very frustrating. 

Hi,

I've tried the docking facilities at both end of the summit and personal preference is for the covered slipway at Cowroast, the boat is slightly elevated there and access is easier.

Pressure washing with a Karcher - depends which grade of Karcher you use, a basic K2 model is not powerful enough for the job and does not have a water cooled engine so long periods of use will burn this out. A K4 may do the job and has the advantage of a water cooled unit, but again is really too small.

My boat was last blacked about 12 months ago and several areas had clusters of Freshwater Mussels, I doubt a small Karcher would touch these. The Pressure washer at the slipway did remove them.

Really, with a decent pressure washer no scraping is needed.

Use of both slipways would seem to be affected by low water levels.

This was Winkwell in 2010 - with a couple of coats of Primocon underwater primer applied. It's a nice, clean dock, but like many other dry docks, the boat's not really high enough to be able to do the baseplate. Sure, you could get underneath and paint it, but there's not really enough clearance to get the lance of a pressure washer underneath and get the angle to clean it properly. So, I've never bothered with the baseplate. It's 10mm thick and when I've been underneath there just seems to be a bit of surface rust. I just do the upswept bit at the bow and of course the swims and uxter plates.

P1000400.JPG

P1000403.JPG

Edited by blackrose

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:52, LEO said:

Hi,

I've tried the docking facilities at both end of the summit and personal preference is for the covered slipway at Cowroast, the boat is slightly elevated there and access is easier.

For access you can't beat the facilities at Aylesbury Circus Field. Boats are hauled out of the water on a trolley then jacked up in the shed. Plenty of room to paint the bottom in the dry and (relative) comfort. Very effective pressure washer included in the price. Single phase and 3-phase power, lighting and heating available (electricity charged extra), use of separate clean and dirty workshops, kitchen and bathroom/shower. And you can stay on board.

£200 in/out (includes first day) plus £50 per additional day.  

http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/our-services/slipway-dry-dock/

There's a covered wet dock too for painting.

Since the Aylesbury Arm is narrow, this is not available to wide boats.

PICT0286.jpg.0e3eb8e57384cb7e154919d037392446.jpg

58 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Lol. I've tried Siri tells me it's scraping

is this right?  Yes abit drastic

That's it.  Scraping a hull is not much fun, but it must have been a dirtier job in the days before pressure washers to remove the worst of the muck.

The guys at Bulbourne are fantastic, I was there several years ago and they blacked my boat and discovered that the stern gear was completely shot. Because the boat is not a standard design they had to have one fabricated and because of access it had to be a split unit to get in in without removing the gearbox and bellhousing. They did a very professional job and I wonder what would have happened had I taken it to an "ordinary" blacking centre