Barrus Shanks Engine

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

This came up in another thread, and has got me interested.

The "Shanks" engine was launched by Barrus some years back, as an alternative to their Shire range.

Based on a Chinese engine, it was a lot cheaper than any competition from marinised engines mased on Kubota, Yanmar, Isuzu, etc.

There was a lot of early flourish about the engine.  Members on here bought and fitted one.  New boats at the lower end of the market sometimes got them.

Despite all that, one now rarely hears of them these days.  The Barrus website makes no mention, so presumably they are long since discontinued.

So does anybody have one, and what is it like in practice?  Any issues, and can consumables like filters and other spares be easily obtained?

Have worked on a few of these, never start on 4 cylinders, always smoke like a pig on start up and the exhaust fumes always stink, even when the smoke has cleared. If it's fitted with the original gearbox it's the size of a prm500 and twice as heavy and about half as strong as a prm80. We've had three gearbox oil coolers go as well.

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

We have one in our widebeam it does not excessively smoke has performed flawless ly . It has dual altenators and dual thermostats . Is very robust and easy to service, filters etc are easily obtainable. Its funny when questions like these are asked . You always get comments from people who actually know bugger all about the question that's asked.

• 2 years later...

Have a Shanks 35 in my narrow boat, boat built 2009, stretched by 20ft in 2014, changed gearbox from prm120 to a prm150 and increased prop size. This same engine is now pushing a 60ft boat on canals and rivers throughout the network, it runs faultless, idles for long periods whist charging etc, always starts no problem, easy to maintain. Had to change the domestic alternator but that’s hardly an engine problem.

Barrus still supply parts through a dealer should you need them. Service parts readily available from any motor factor.

11 years and over 5000hours wouldn’t change a thing.

I have a friend with a Shanks engine from new. It starts instantly whatever the temperature, runs fine. It is a bit noisy due to the uncooled exhaust manifold but otherwise its OK.

No its not a classic RN or Lister but then its cheaper and costs less to run.

I find the problem with much middle market Chinese stuff is that the quality can be variable even for the identical item. Power tools are an example, one will be fine, another will be junk.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I find the problem with much middle market Chinese stuff is that the quality can be variable even for the identical item. Power tools are an example, one will be fine, another will be junk.

I'm guessing that your words were chosen with care.

.:clapping:

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Always.  Nothing to do with a whales head or spermaceti.

Whatever you've seen the New Year in with has obviously worked. I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Whatever you've seen the New Year in with has obviously worked. I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Junk is a hairy lump on a sperm whale's head, I thought everyone knew that?  Now look what you have made me do.:offtopic:

Happy New Year all.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

• 1 year later...

I have a barras shanks 035 deisel engine and seem to have a identical problem concerning glow plugs I also took mine out sent off to barras with my engine serial number only to be sent glow plugs with a much longer thread and the probe to long, I've just read another message which shown photos of the old and new plugs which again identical to mine, my question is did you ever get the glow plugs you needed and if so so you have the part no and the location you got them from? 👍

On 27/08/2017 at 23:24, Tony Brooks said:

I have had the odd question that suggests to me the QA and manufacturing tolerances may not be of the best.

I have to agree. Over the years I have worked on a few of these engines and found quality of build and materials very poor. Also some of the engineering practices are very poor. I think Barrus have just quietly dropped this engine. Probably realising there mistake, but that is just my opinion.

Anyone having glow plug ID problems should get one of the illustrated lists that various manufacturers hand out.......One I have is from TVH Forklift spares.............I would also hazard a guess engine  import was stopped due to inability to comply with Tier 4 (or whatever)  emissions rules.

Edited by john.k

I think that Barrus are still selling the Chinese engines. All the inland waterways engines now come under the Barrus Shire badge. If you look at their brochure the Chinese sourced engines are painted yellow and the Yanmar based ones are grey.

1 minute ago, jpcdriver said:

I think that Barrus are still selling the Chinese engines. All the inland waterways engines now come under the Barrus Shire badge. If you look at their brochure the Chinese sourced engines are painted yellow and the Yanmar based ones are grey.

Appropriate colour then!