Boat Security

steveh

Featured Posts

Just to be a counter-statistic......

We have had our present boat four years now. It is moored at an offside BW mooring in a fairly quiet spot, but we do have a liveaboard on the mooring.

We have done about 1500 hours of cruising over these four years, mostly around the shropshire, cheshire, staffordshire  area.

I can't say my boat is particularly secure; if someone sneezed on the towpath as they walked by the doors would probably pop open.

In all this time I have never experienced a breakin or bandit activity, including travelling up the Caldon in Stoke during a school holiday.

I wonder sometimes if this whole thing is a bit overstated.

Having said that, I am sure there are far worse areas than here,  and I wouldn't for a minute try and diminish the impact of a hooligan attack. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Yeah, well one of our side doors has been unsecured for about 4years, the knocked the hasp of on a bridge and never go around to replacing it. (although it is now replaced, so you can all leave it alone!)

- We dont often moor in stupid places, and if we do never for long, never had a problem at all, not even a broken window in 15years.

Daniel

==================================================

excellent idea!

John, Wynd Lass

The last time an "intruder" (actually a friend looking for me) boarded my boat unannounced, Woodrow the parrot just asked him if he wanted a cup of tea! However, his bite is definitely worse than his "bark" - god help an intruder (or friend) if the bird is out of the cage!

Noah

We called in a marina just down the buckby flight on the GU, they had a parrot(a gray one) and I spoke to it and it called me a wan***! cheeky feathered swine creature....(mind u I did laugh for days afterwards).....can I have one daddy?........ :)

I think an alarm like Max and Paddy's (off Pheonix Nights) would be good.....in Max's voice it says "Get back you bas**** or I'll break your legs!" then the car horn sounds........

Wonder how you can make one?

About ten years ago there was actually for sale an electronic device that responded to noises (banging on door for example) by barking like a dog. How much of a deterrent this was to burglars I don't know. Perhaps they were incapacitated by collapsing in fits of laughter and so the device was effective, sort of. Not seen them for sale now though.

Noah

I was gullible enough to buy one of these about twenty years ago.

In fact, I think they would be quite good for a boat.

Noise activated, makes a barking noise and resets itself.

Does use some power however on standby.

I'll have a look for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Before, on a boat, I've seen big bars across the front doors which are secured by padlocks and then the usual lock.

I've also seen, how can I explain it.. the old "castle lock" type - Two side doors, each with a small but strong fixing position welded onto them, with a steel bar that can be put into place, this was on the stern doors, engine room doors and on the side door in the galley.

Most of the boat has portholes, which are secure due to their size, but the 3 windows on the boat have ornate bars, welded to either side of the window, which covers them which lets somebody break your windows which is a pain - but at least they can't get in, or get anything out!

One of my friends moored in Castlefields, which is basically Manchester city centre on the canal. They awoke one morning to find half of their stuff which they keep at the back end of the boat had gone. Obviously this is bad enough, but to find a lump hammer on the stern - The scum that broke in, obvously had this ready and waiting incase they woke up. I dread to think.

Edited by Liam

Now obviously I aren't going to tell you how to do it, but if you have any of those popular roof hatches produced by a well known mass producer of horse box windows beware. Using a small hammer and nail it is possible to remove the hatch and replace it again without leaving any visible evidence.

Word obviously spread quite quickly how to this and the local scrotes did quite a few boats locally with this knowledge, surprisingly they took the time to put the hatch back together leaving the owners with missing items but no sign of entry.

Gary

Now obviously I aren't going to tell you how to do it, but if you have any of those popular roof hatches produced by a well known mass producer of horse box windows beware. Using a small hammer and nail it is possible to remove the hatch and replace it again without leaving any visible evidence.

Word obviously spread quite quickly how to this and the local scrotes did quite a few boats locally with this knowledge, surprisingly they took the time to put the hatch back together leaving the owners with missing items but no sign of entry.

Gary

Have you let the manufacturer know? That's a pretty serious flaw... :)

Gary

Tried it out here on a customers boat he didn't believe me, I got one open in less than 90 seconds without damage!

Tightening up the stays in the closed position slows it down a bit but won't stop them getting in.

A bit worrying for those with this type of hatch.

Gary

One of the victims did. I think he's still waiting for a reply, the manafacturer concerned isn't too big on customer service though. (But that's another story)

Did a bit more exsperimenting last night Seaglaze, Houdini, Vetus and Timage/Aquafax don't have a problem. Couldn't find a Channel Glaze example to test but if any body would like to know what to look for message me.

Gary