Free Pay as you go Sim

john4647

Featured Posts

I know this topic has been thrashed out numerous times but I still find it very confusing.

I have an EE WiFi unit (40VB) which it seems I can get unlocked on E bay for 99p.

My data usage is very small, being e-mail checks and a little surfing, no videos or music etc.

What I am looking for is a free Sim, on a Pay as you go basis with no monthly charge and either no time limit on usage or at least 6 months before the allowance expires.

Does such an animal exist?

Yes, check out the data Sims from Three (3).

I´ve just bought my 3rd one as it's cheaper to buy a new one than top up an existing one that has been depleted.

They do one that contains 12GB and runs until the data is all gone or 12 months have elapsed since starting it, whichever is sooner. My first two cost £30 each direct from Three. They have now gone up to £40 so I got my 3rd one from an Amazon seller (fulfilled by Amazon) for under £35 - also available direct from Amazon for £30 if you are a Prime member (it was last week anyway, I haven't checked since).

11 minutes ago, john4647 said:

I know this topic has been thrashed out numerous times but I still find it very confusing.

I have an EE WiFi unit (40VB) which it seems I can get unlocked on E bay for 99p.

My data usage is very small, being e-mail checks and a little surfing, no videos or music etc.

What I am looking for is a free Sim, on a Pay as you go basis with no monthly charge and either no time limit on usage or at least 6 months before the allowance expires.

Does such an animal exist?

I think giffgaff may suit, but probably not the cheapest option. 

I use GiffGaff on my daily phone. They have 'goodie bags' that you can top up as required, or set to update automatically each month.

For about £12/mth I get a fair few GB of data and more free texts and calls than I'd probably use in my entire lifetime. Phone calls from GiffGaff > GiffGaff are free. 

1 hour ago, john4647 said:

Thanks for the info.

It seems that the Three 12gb is the one to go for because it lasts for 12 months. Although I would probably never use it up.

That's what I thought. The first one lasted about 50 weeks. The 2nd is down to under 2GB in about 3 months which is why I bought the 3rd to have ready.

We have probably used the boat more and definitely used the wi-fi more.

The main reason I went for this option is that I didn't want to be paying monthly when we're not in the boat (we've been averaging about 4 months a year on the boat when it's all added up).