Tv

Pastida@1

Featured Posts

Hi.  I'm well into the planning stage of our narrowboat sailaway which will be ready in Nov. What is best for tv.  An aerial or a satellite dish.  I don't mind if I have to set either one up each time we move.

Thanks in advance

John 

Edited by Pastida@1

I have 2 TV aerials which remain set up 24/7... one for the TV in the lounge, and the other for the TV in the bedroom. Freeview has enough for my needs most of the time, although I do have access to Netflix and Virgin Media Anywhere via a Mobile broadband connection. Havent considered satellite, but see several boats with a dish.

Thanks for that.  We only want freeview or freesat.  Just trying to work out the best option.  It's the same wiring for me whichever way I go lol.  I will put the coax cable in before I line the boat out

Cheers

John 

Whichever method we choose we will need to take them down while travelling

Cheers

John

Satellite is good when you don't have decent line of sight to a transmitter. Terrestrial is good when you don't have line of sight to Astra b. They both take about the same amount of time to align once you've done it a few times. 

I'd cable for both. 

The best option will depend on where you moor.  Trees and high buildings around and you may not get a satellite signal but have strong signal from a aerial.  In the middle of know where at the bottom of a hill and you may not get a signal from aerial, but will have a clear view of the sky for satellite. 

I've had to go up to a 3m telescopic pole and serous ariel. Good news is excellent free view once it's pointed  in the right direction. Taken much experimentation but finally got there. 

Edited by Jak
Typo

I have a Freeview aerial and when I have a signal - which is most of the time - I may watch tv but no signal, I read or radio.  In fact having no tv does help me to rediscover some good radio plays and music.  Good tv is worth watching but most tv is mediocre and actually just wasting time till bed time.

myself and many on here (and it seems across the canal network) have good results with the moonraker dtv1000 tv aerials.

mine is mounted on the cratch (sticks up by about 8 inches) and works well.

4 hours ago, Pastida@1 said:

Thanks for all the input guys. Although we won't be watching lots of tv we will want a good picture when we do.  Looks like it's 50 50 between aerial and satellite dish.  As I'm still in the planning g stage I have a few months to decide 

Cheers

John

After many years of cruising that's what we do:-

• All internal cabling uses WF100 satellite cable
  • Even with low loss cable we have found it necessary to have an aerial amplifier for the freeview connection (we record programs as there's inevitably two or more programmes on a the same time  - and that reduces the signal level) - so it has to have it's own separate cable.
  • Any cable that has to be detached uses BNC type with a F-plug adaptors and external cables are flexible.
  • I've recently bought a flat panel 4 port "Selfsat" satellite dish from Amazon warehouse (reduction for tatty box) which gives better results that the conventional type, but more importantly is much easier to store when cruising
  • For Freeview we use a small Log periodic antenna (eBay) which is easier to store. The long type did not give much better gain.
  • Aerial / dish alignment is done using a  Fringe Electronics Pro TV and Satellite Finder Satellite Finder (Amazon warehouse again) - works in the dark
  • The advantage of satellite use is that with a simple compass app you can predict whether or not you'll get a good signal before you moor up, whereas for terrestrial reception it's a bit more of a challenge.
  • All reception is via a 27" HD tv so signal quality is good and to augment lack of sound volume I have a cheap Philips sound bar under the TV.
  • Reception is split 75 / 50 between  terrestrial and satellite in our cruising area from the Thames (Crystal Palace tx to Oxford ( Oxford tx) and Birmingham (Holme Moss tx) but there are plenty of places where a terrestrial signal is masked)

Too much detail perhaps - but the problem is not that straightforward!

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I have had eight boats over 43 years and offer my opinion ......

Sod TV ..... what's the matter with you?

Agree with you there.

We took our TV home years ago as it was just taking up space and getting in the way despite us never using it.

On the very odd occasion we decide to watch something we use the internet and stream it to the tablet to watch. If there is no internet reception we usually have a few films downloaded onto the tablet or we listen to some music.

7 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I've recently bought a flat panel 4 port "Selfsat" satellite dish from Amazon warehouse (reduction for tatty box) which gives better results that the conventional type, but more importantly is much easier to store when cruising

These flat "dishes" do look better.

Edited by Robbo

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I have had eight boats over 43 years and offer my opinion ......

Sod TV ..... what's the matter with you?

Just got back from a weeks boating.

Didn't watch any TV. Barely listened to the radio for more than a few minutes.

Can't say I missed it.......

Used a little bit of internet.

Just busy doing stuff!  

Mini log periodic aerial from Screwfix - about £14. Our is mounted just above the king plank and with a 12v signal booster works very well. If you are in an area with a strong terrestrial signal you may even be better off without the booster.  

For those times when you cannot get a signal at all, a 12v DVD player comes in handy.

Edited by Machpoint005
afterthought!
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Agree with you there.

We took our TV home years ago as it was just taking up space and getting in the way despite us never using it.

On the very odd occasion we decide to watch something we use the internet and stream it to the tablet to watch. If there is no internet reception we usually have a few films downloaded onto the tablet or we listen to some music.

Hes going to live aboard so its a bit different. I don't think many hobby boaters if they were absolutely honest don't watch tv at home even if its not very often.