Route planning software:

Pete B

Featured Posts

For many years I used the original 'Canal Planner', which I was very happy with, but it hasn't been supported for a long while and it sadly ‘died’ a while back, so I’m looking for a viable replacement. Does anyone have experience of using ‘WaterNav’ that’s marketed by RCR at £48.99? I know that with RCR membership you can download their individual ‘aps’ for free, but you need to purchase the PC version to do route planning, which is what I want to do.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a bit old....

I bought the Waternav PC software recently but have not yet been able to appreciate its navigation properties as finding a USB GPS dongle that works with the software is by trial and error as there is no 'recommended' product to use with the software.

A GNSS receiver is not recognised (although it claims maritime use) and the SIRF receiver has yet to arrive (from China I hasten to add - but as it was a little over £4 against £30+ in the UK...) but should this not be recognised it will be a real challenge to actually find a receiver to use as these appear to be the only 2 'standards' available as a dongle.

If anyone has had experience of this software working I'd be pleased if they would share their setup details.

The final version (7) of canal planner isn't supported and won't work any more, but the previous version (6) does. If you haven't got it and it's of any use, it's on my website at http://arthurmarshall.co.uk/canalplanner.html

I couldn't see any reason not to make it available seeing as how the owner left us all high and dry, so to speak, when I reckoned he could have just set it to use a universal password. It dies if you change computers as it goes on to a website and uses your computer reference to generate the pass codes, and he dumped the relevant webpage.

Thanks Arthur, that's very helpful. I did have the version 6 originally and then later the version 7, I was sad to loose it. I've downloaded the files from your site and I'll have a go at opening them up and installing them when I have a little more time.