Canal & River Trust Licence

Mark May

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

I'm guessing that the 6 month limit might have something to do with tax-residency as well.  We have been looking at splitting our time between Oz and the UK and to maximise our stay we would have to limit our stay(s) to 182 days maximum to avoid becoming tax residents in both the UK and Australia and having the nightmare of paying tax on income in both countries.  We are dual citizens so the issue of visa's and length of stay do not apply and its still not clear if spending 180 days in Oz and 180 days in the UK each year (before anybody says anything the missing 5 days are travelling) would entitle us to 'ordinary' resident status (NHS access) or not, if we are CC'ing and therefore not 'residential' property owners.

DandV do you have any insight into this (last point) as you seem to split your time?

I'd make an appointment with your accountant in Oz. But under the "Internaional Tax Agreements Ammended Bill 2003" (double tax avoidance agreement between Australia and the UK) in the  majority of situations you will pay taxation in either Oz or the UK, but not both. I have attached a link to a little light reading on the subject :-)

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/legis/cth/bill_em/itaab2003389/memo1.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=international tax agreements

2 hours ago, DandV said:

No need to do that. The HSBC does it for us. Deposits are all ex NZ. Withdrawals are all UK. One way traffic of money in the UK'S favour!

Anyway back to the OP

There have been an awful lot of Australasians ahead of you and a lot currently on the canals and rivers enjoying exactly what you are proposing. For us the reality has actually been better then the dream and that was a big ask.

The licence is an absolute bargain for what you get compared to the sum of vehicle registration and local body rates back home.

Don and Val

PS and there will be a really nice boat available from Rugby Boats very early in October

I've been browsing the Rugby site for the past 18 months or so - all their stock appear to be quality boats. 

1 hour ago, JJPHG said:

I'm guessing that the 6 month limit might have something to do with tax-residency as well.  We have been looking at splitting our time between Oz and the UK and to maximise our stay we would have to limit our stay(s) to 182 days maximum to avoid becoming tax residents in both the UK and Australia and having the nightmare of paying tax on income in both countries.  We are dual citizens so the issue of visa's and length of stay do not apply and its still not clear if spending 180 days in Oz and 180 days in the UK each year (before anybody says anything the missing 5 days are travelling) would entitle us to 'ordinary' resident status (NHS access) or not, if we are CC'ing and therefore not 'residential' property owners.

DandV do you have any insight into this (last point) as you seem to split your time?

Section 1.6 of the Ammendment Bill 2003 states " Dual resident persons (i.e. persons who are residents of both Australia and United Kingdom according to the domestic law of each country) are, in accordance with specified criteria, to be treated for the purposes of the tax treaty as being residents of only one country."

^^^^ What D&V say is right. Particularly if you're proposing to 'throw money around like confetti', then the 400 quid you'll save on the 6 month versus 12 month licence, less the cost of haul out, will be very small beer indeed. Not not worth the trouble, I'd have thought.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

^^^^ What D&V say is right. Particularly if you're proposing to 'throw money around like confetti', then the 400 quid you'll save on the 6 month versus 12 month licence, less the cost of haul out, will be very small beer indeed. Not not worth the trouble, I'd have thought.

Yeah you're right mate 'very small beer indeed'  I was thinking more along the lines of wear and tear, corrosion, marine growth, degradation of underwater fittings (anodes, stern glands paint etc) security and peace of mind - it's not like I can jump in my 'motor' and thunder up the M6 if something goes pair shape on the boat. All my boating experience in the past has been in the saltwater environment in Oz, and there is not many things worse you can do to your boat than to leave it sitting moored up for months on end. I'm on a fresh water learning curve, so maybe none of those issues are relevant to a Narrowboat. Is it better to have your boat sitting moored up, unattended, when the canal freezes up, or to have it sitting high and dry on the hardstand? - I don't know.  As to throwing money around like confetti, well yeah, I'm not adverse to sticking my hand in my pocket to have a good time, but I'm not a charity, I don't want to pay for 'services' I'm not utilising

As a salt water boater also, fresh water is a remarkably benign environment. Ice is only a problem if you want to move. A floating boat will at least have some of its hull in contact with an above freezing environment in sub zero conditions. Security wise ok you may need a ladder to access a boat on the hard but otherwise a boat on the hard in a marina or afloat in the same is much the same. Weed on the hull is not really a problem the ducks and fallen willows seem to deal to it once underway. Most marinas have a core of residents and near residents that will keep a benign eye on neighbouring boats and will act if it appears to be settling.

• Happy 1

On 22/08/2017 at 07:36, ditchcrawler said:

Not that thin, one has just sold up and gone home and another is about to http://gypsyrover-australia.blogspot.co.uk/p/nb-ferndale_24.html

Yeah you're right, not a bad looking boat and it's got battery capacity to power a 3rd world country. Worth a bit of a further investigation - cheers thanks for that. 

15 minutes ago, eastcoastfisher said:

How about offering it out as a 6 month rental while you're back home. If you had reasonable rental terms it means the boat is in use and might cover some of your costs as well

Apart from licencing and insurance implications the demand for rentals only for the six winter months is I suspect neglibable hence the flotillas of hire boats at base from October to Easter.

On 21/08/2017 at 18:25, Jerra said:

P.s. If I remember my history correctly many of the EU countries fought with us in the war.

Norway independent (secret forces), Denmark nope, half of France surrendered their own country within a few weeks...again!...the other half turned German, Italy turned German, Dutch lost in days, Belgium didn't want anyone in their country to help, the days later Germany arrived, Finland ermmm....Russia, squealed for help and then turned on us, Poland got wiped, Czech, Hungary, Bulgaria, Etc. Got walked over, other Russian satellites turned SS, Greece stood up to Italy then got flattened, Spain sat it out but helped Germany, Sweden were neutral and supplied both sides, Austria turned German, half of Ireland fought with us the other half worked against, .....not many countries truly fought with us, only a few brave souls who had the balls to fight. :glare:

4 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Norway independent (secret forces), Denmark nope, half of France surrendered their own country within a few weeks...again!...the other half turned German, Italy turned German, Dutch lost in days, Belgium didn't want anyone in their country to help, the days later Germany arrived, Finland ermmm....Russia, squealed for help and then turned on us, Poland got wiped, Czech, Hungary, Bulgaria, Etc. Got walked over, other Russian satellites turned SS, Greece stood up to Italy then got flattened, Spain sat it out but helped Germany, Sweden were neutral and supplied both sides, Austria turned German, half of Ireland fought with us the other half worked against, .....not many countries truly fought with us, only a few brave souls who had the balls to fight. :glare:

Yep, that is a fairly accurate "solders 5" on how it all went down in Europe during WWII. My old dad joined the Australian 2/1st Field Regiment (6th Div) as a Bren gunner, on 20/10/1939 and was on the first ship to leave Oz, in Jan 1940 - Egypt bound. After training in Gaza, took part in the Nth Africa Campaign (Libya / Bardia / Tobruk). They then deployed to Greece in Mar 41 to fight the Hun. They were quickly overwhelmed, and forced to fight all the way down the Greek peninsular in retreat. Eventually being "evacuated' by sea to Crete, to fight a rear-guard action. Finally being forced to surrender (30 May) after exhausting all ammunition during the Battle of Retimo (first and last time the Kraut used paratroopers as an assault force during the war). He spent the remainder of the war in various German POW camps, he was probably lucky. What was left of his Reg regrouped in Palestine and then went on to the Pacific to fight the Jap, on our doorstep in New Guinea (Kokoda). I'm just about to retire (swallow the anchor) after 32yrs in the Royal Australian Navy. The Poms don't have a hell of a lot of real, fair dinkum allies in this world - they should be looking after the ones they have! 

On 29/08/2017 at 02:54, Mark May said:

Yep, that is a fairly accurate "solders 5" on how it all went down in Europe during WWII. My old dad joined the Australian 2/1st Field Regiment (6th Div) as a Bren gunner, on 20/10/1939 and was on the first ship to leave Oz, in Jan 1940 - Egypt bound. After training in Gaza, took part in the Nth Africa Campaign (Libya / Bardia / Tobruk). They then deployed to Greece in Mar 41 to fight the Hun. They were quickly overwhelmed, and forced to fight all the way down the Greek peninsular in retreat. Eventually being "evacuated' by sea to Crete, to fight a rear-guard action. Finally being forced to surrender (30 May) after exhausting all ammunition during the Battle of Retimo (first and last time the Kraut used paratroopers as an assault force during the war). He spent the remainder of the war in various German POW camps, he was probably lucky. What was left of his Reg regrouped in Palestine and then went on to the Pacific to fight the Jap, on our doorstep in New Guinea (Kokoda). I'm just about to retire (swallow the anchor) after 32yrs in the Royal Australian Navy. The Poms don't have a hell of a lot of real, fair dinkum allies in this world - they should be looking after the ones they have! 

ANZACS will always be appreciated here as they have all that is needed....awesome troops, not a term used lightly......in a fight I know what nationalities I'd have with me! ;)

Never buy an Italian army outfit without checking the back for holes!! :D

:o

Going even further off topic, it's my impression that significant minorities of the Italians in WW2 were either disinterested in fighting for Mussolini's ambitions, or dead against him. My father told me of his experiences guarding Italian POWs in Egypt (probably in about 1942-43 when they were on the retreat after El Alamein). He said sometimes a small group of Allied troops in the desert would meet a huge number of Italians looking to surrender, and just tell them to drop their weapons and keep walking east. I doubt they were cowards, they just didn't want to fight for a cause they didn't believe in. My father did feel the Italians were lazy; they didn't like having to put their own tents up, but they had to because the British didn't have men spare to do it. He told them, do it or sleep under the stars.

But yes, various countries in Europe were either neutral or failed to put up much of a fight against Hitler. However I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about Brexit from that.

5 hours ago, Peter X said:

Going even further off topic, it's my impression that significant minorities of the Italians in WW2 were either disinterested in fighting for Mussolini's ambitions, or dead against him. My father told me of his experiences guarding Italian POWs in Egypt (probably in about 1942-43 when they were on the retreat after El Alamein). He said sometimes a small group of Allied troops in the desert would meet a huge number of Italians looking to surrender, and just tell them to drop their weapons and keep walking east. I doubt they were cowards, they just didn't want to fight for a cause they didn't believe in. My father did feel the Italians were lazy; they didn't like having to put their own tents up, but they had to because the British didn't have men spare to do it. He told them, do it or sleep under the stars.

But yes, various countries in Europe were either neutral or failed to put up much of a fight against Hitler. However I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about Brexit from that.

The one conclusion is that we have the balls to make it work, on another note, the Mediterranean countries are so far removed from the North Western Europeans in mentality and history, equally the Eastern countries.

On a personal note, it is this diversity that makes Europe such a fantastic place but political and monetary union without fully centralised budgetary and legal control is not possible, and Britain will not subscribe to meeting most of the other requirements, after all we are the oldest organised government in Europe with monetary, language and political union across country dating back centuries.

On a point of note, even the Eastern block countries want all that is good but nothing of the costs, no immigrants but keep all of the benefits for their nationals working abroad....they send money back home and enriches their own economy....do I blame them? No. Do I think it is right, No!....even my one Polish friend thinks we're mad and voted for brexit....forget all this rubbish about fear.

At the end of the day we should retain a common market, sack all of these unelected bloodsucking pompous egotists dining on foil gras and fine wines at everyone's expense, and then get back to being us in our rich cultural diversity.

?...guess which way I voted!? :D:cheers:

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

sack all of these unelected bloodsucking pompous egotists dining on foil gras and fine wines at everyone's expense...

No, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think ;)