London overcrowding

dor

Featured Posts

An article in Monday's 'The i'  net newspaper:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/londons-housing-crisis-spreads-water-massive-influx-boats-clogs-canals/

"Jess Liberty, 33, and her partner, Barry, paid £7,000 for their floating home, currently moored in Little Venice, near Paddington, west London."

£7,000 for a 45 x 10 ft boat?

Edited by dor

Composting loo love it :)

Its not their fault that the system is broken is it? For a young couple its the only way they can ever get to live in London. If we as a boating population dont like it dont visit the place by boat, or campaign to get the law changed so that CRT can legally do something about the problem.

I for one have decided I couldnt care less as up North mooring generally isnt an issue, and as my fat boat is suited to these waters, its where I will stay until I move down to the Broads

Edited by peterboat
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

...If we as a boating population dont like it dont visit the place by boat, or campaign to get the law changed so that CRT can legally do something about the problem.

Why campaign to get other waterways users removed? It's so vindictive!

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Why campaign to get other waterways users removed? It's so vindictive!

You cherry pick my post which then gets it all out of context, however their are plenty of boaters who are unhappy with the London issue, and want it sorted, so that part of my post was directed at them. Instead of which they complain on here about the problem instead of directing the complaints to the correct people

• Greenie 1

Everyone can see what you wrote, I was simply highlighting the bit that I found most odd - why even suggest that in the context of the rest of the post? 

I just don't get this weird desire that Something Must Be Done about the situation in London when the inevitable upshot of that Something is driving young people out of their homes and off the water so that some people who occasionally visit have a slightly easier time finding a mooring. 

21 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Everyone can see what you wrote, I was simply highlighting the bit that I found most odd - why even suggest that in the context of the rest of the post? 

I just don't get this weird desire that Something Must Be Done about the situation in London when the inevitable upshot of that Something is driving young people out of their homes and off the water so that some people who occasionally visit have a slightly easier time finding a mooring. 

That is the whole point, the London moorings are for occasional use and not up for "Land Grab",they are for Everyone on the Waterways and not just for Cheap London Housing.

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 2

Most of the London boats do move although often not very far, 20 miles seems to be the annual target, most hire boats do that in a day!. The 'problem' to everyone else is finding somewhere to moor a 3-4:00pm after a days cruising and maybe being able to stay for 2 days. This can be difficult sometimes, may be what is needed is 3 mooring spaces in several central London locations that are true visitor moorings i.e. 48 hour and no return for 28 days max 2 visits a year. But this would need rigorous enforcement and need a change in the law for CRT to be able to do it. What will probably happen, is what has happened on much of the Thames, councils passing by-laws preventing any mooring in their section of canal, probably citing pollution /antisocial  behavior to justify it. Then using their parking wardens to enforce it at £100 per day, legally binding as well.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I think you misunderstand. There are ccing laws for boaters that have been around for yonks. Boats are not houses they are umm boats. People who stay for ever are being selfish to other boaters not the other way round. Housing may well be ridiculously priced in London but no one has to live there, far better to live somewhere nice. As a general rule the nicer the place the lower the rents and property prices.

• Greenie 1