LPG auto change over. Any issue with this?

stegra

Featured Posts

Hi. Just wanted to see of anyone can see any problem with using this bulkhead regulator and change over on a boat. My intention would be to reduce to 10mm and go directly into a bubble leak detector.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOMATIC-LPG-PROPANE-TWO-BOTTLE-CHANGEOVER-KIT-2-GAS-CYLINDER-REGULATOR-COK2-/131807862431?epid=1595161529&hash=item1eb05c5e9f:g:l~QAAOSwcUBYSBD1

Hi, 

Don't buy it, I bought one of these units (exactly the same!) 3 years ago, they state they have a 3 year service life in the instructions, mine lasted 2 years and 10 months - waste of time, I sought advice on the Forum and comments reported similar problems.

Buy and fit a manual change over device, save your self time and money.The plumbing for a manual unit is not compatible with the auto fitment.

L.

As I don't use a lot of gas - just a cooker - I didn't bother getting one of those.  A bubble tester is a very good idea (especially at BSS examinination time).  But it will only identify little leaks if you remember to use it................

If I remember correctly, and I often don't, the hoses need to have the approval code printed on them for boat use.  Looking at the photo I'm not sure if these do.

Thanks for the replies. There doesn't seem to be a vast choice of manual changeover kits with bulkhead fitting and 37mbar regulator. Looks like this one from the same vendor might be the way to go without significantly upping the budget. Hopefully the hoses are compliant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COK1-MANUAL-2-BOTTLE-CHANGEOVER-KIT-PROPANE-GAS-CYLINDER-REGULATOR-37mbar-700E-/130939032294?epid=1608000088&hash=item1e7c9312e6:g:apMAAOxygPtS37rN

16 minutes ago, stegra said:

Thanks for the replies. There doesn't seem to be a vast choice of manual changeover kits with bulkhead fitting and 37mbar regulator. Looks like this one from the same vendor might be the way to go without significantly upping the budget. Hopefully the hoses are compliant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COK1-MANUAL-2-BOTTLE-CHANGEOVER-KIT-PROPANE-GAS-CYLINDER-REGULATOR-37mbar-700E-/130939032294?epid=1608000088&hash=item1e7c9312e6:g:apMAAOxygPtS37rN

That's the one I went for, plus a 'Bubble Tester'..

L.

We have one of these. It's worked perfectly for 7 years so far:

https://thecaravanwarehouse.co.uk/Products/change-over-regulators/LPG001?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNrMBRB4EiwA_ODYvwTLo8HLhZgnC0xMW5C-PjL9H-MHeTQGMPUG9lVIxrn6fPl2h7WU3RoC98UQAvD_BwE

Its obviously not essential to have an automatic changeover, but if you don't you can guarantee the gas will run out mid shower/baking/dinner-making and it will be dark and bucketing down outside.

59 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We have one of these. It's worked perfectly for 7 years so far:

https://thecaravanwarehouse.co.uk/Products/change-over-regulators/LPG001?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNrMBRB4EiwA_ODYvwTLo8HLhZgnC0xMW5C-PjL9H-MHeTQGMPUG9lVIxrn6fPl2h7WU3RoC98UQAvD_BwE

Its obviously not essential to have an automatic changeover, but if you don't you can guarantee the gas will run out mid shower/baking/dinner-making and it will be dark and bucketing down outside.

But if you do have an auto chage over you can guarantee that the second bottle will run out mid shower/baking/dinner-making and it will be dark and bucketing down outside and you will then have no gas

I have auto change over but the second bottle is turned off to make sure I know when the first has run out.

Edited by Loddon

26 minutes ago, Loddon said:

But if you do have an auto chage over you can guarantee that the second bottle will run out mid shower/baking/dinner-making and it will be dark and bucketing down outside and you will then have no gas

I have auto change over but the second bottle is turned off to make sure I know when the first has run out.

I certainly agree with your first sentence, but your second means your auto changeover isn't auto, is it?

28 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I certainly agree with your first sentence, but your second means your auto changeover isn't auto, is it?

I suppose not but all I have to do is switch on the second bottle and then swop the first for the third at my leisure when its dry and daylight

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

That is up to you. If you choose never to check the red flag, you will run out at a bad moment. If you choose to check the red flag from time to time (eg when filling up with diesel at a location also selling gas) you will never run out at a bad time.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Correct. The old adage " Keep it simple " same with everything such as combis far better to have seperates and manual changeover switches for shoreline etc then you know exactly what is on/off and what any problem is or is not. Gadgets just build in a weak spot no matter what it is. Prime example stupid CART and BW before them are systematically building weak spots into the system all over the country electrifying lift bridges that have worked well manualy for 200 years and WILL now fail at some point.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. The old adage " Keep it simple " same with everything such as combis far better to have seperates and manual changeover switches for shoreline etc then you know exactly what is on/off and what any problem is or is not. Gadgets just build in a weak spot no matter what it is. Prime example stupid CART and BW before them are systematically building weak spots into the system all over the country electrifying lift bridges that have worked well manualy for 200 years and WILL now fail at some point.

Change "Wiill" to "Have"

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Change "Wiill" to "Have"

Yes too bloomin true. The crap I had to put up with for weeks when they " modernised " :rolleyes: the lift bridge at Thrupp that often cut my customers off.....................

My auto changeover is direct from Calor,have never been left with 2 empty bottles because I always check from time it time ,lived aboard for almost 17 years so it's all a matter of habit like checking fuel and water, never run out of them either.

Phil 

If you are just cooking with gas and living aboard, then a 13Kg bottle seems to last three to four months. Shorter if you have a gas water heater too. My boat has the simplest system. One regulator and pigtail. When the cooker stops working I go out on to the front deck, spanner in hand, in the dark, wind and rain, (which it will always be!) three or four times a year to change to the full bottle. A manual changeover would mean getting less wet when swapping the supply to the full bottle.

I can sort of see the point of auto changeover if you are heating the boat with gas as you would be going through bottles very quickly and it would save the boat going cold in the middle of the night.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Can I start up a slightly old topic with a new question? Oh look, I just did!

I have twin separate gas lockers, regulator and bubble tester in each. Can I just tee the lines together, or do I need a changeover valve? I will always go out and turn the new bottle on, so a valve serves me no purpose... I guess the question is does a regulator have a NRV?