Skipton Visitor Moorings

LilyD

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Titus said:

You've confused me Lily, How can they not go further than Barrowford but you recommend Salterforth and East Marton, surely they are travelling east ??

Dave

All I can say is I have absolutely no idea of direction, nor left or right. It is a major hindrance and a huge irritation to Himself when he shouts "port" or "starboard". I can only apologise if I have misinformed. Still say, though, Barrowford is lovely ;)

12 hours ago, Peter Thornton said:

Last time we were untied was in Birmingham, on the canal near Broad Street. It happened twice in one night, which was annoying.

we commented that it hadn't happened to us 5 years ago when we'd moored there, then remembered that there had been an armed guard near our boat last time! 

Moral being, if you want to feel really safe go to Birmingham during the party conference season!

In Gas St, just avoid it overnight. It is on the direct route from public transport by Mailbox to the Broad street clubs/pubs. At best it is noisy, at worst you are untied. If it's the only place left, then tie up back to the boat with much knitting and hitch round the bollard so it cannot be slipped off. It will still be noisy.

At least in Gas St you go nowhere, not like on the Avon at Stratford, where you can drift down to the weir.

22 hours ago, Peter Thornton said:

Last time we were untied was in Birmingham, on the canal near Broad Street. It happened twice in one night, which was annoying.

we commented that it hadn't happened to us 5 years ago when we'd moored there, then remembered that there had been an armed guard near our boat last time! 

Moral being, if you want to feel really safe go to Birmingham during the party conference season!

Armed guard, eh.?

43 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Yes, a very scary looking policeman with a very big gun, just at the end of the wharf. No nonsense that time! A party conference was taking place and I suppose a canal boat is a potential threat to the hotel behind Gas Street.

I can understand that given the state of the world right now.

First time we ever hired we spent a night moored in Skipton between the swing bridges, no problem whatsoever.

However, before setting off towards Gargrave in the morning we had to wait whilst the chap in front of us recovered the rear of his boat from the other side of the cut.
I've no idea if he was untied in the night or just bad at knots, whichever it was he was quite red in the face and quiet so i'll guess the latter.

Also on the same trip a few days later and again in Skipton but this time beyond the water point heading back towards Silsden, we came across a CRT workboat adrift and blocking the canal (the trip boat from Skipton warned us as we passed as he could see it from his turning point). We had to climb aboard and pull it back to the towpath and tie it back properly as there was no CRT staff to be seen. Again, no idea if kids or bad knots.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 17:43, Titus said:

You've confused me Lily, How can they not go further than Barrowford but you recommend Salterforth and East Marton, surely they are travelling east ??

Dave

She means don't bother going down through Burnley - the best bits of the L&L are pretty much on the eastern side from Leeds through to Barrowford