Tesco's Reading

Tim

Featured Posts

On 01/12/2017 at 16:35, Paringa said:

Apparently the farmer asked a boat that had been sat for what he thought was longer than a reasonable time to move, got a bit of grief, thought "I don't need this hassle" and popped up the signs...

Said boat also left a load of crap behind on the bank sadly ,straw that broke the farmers patience

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, JV44 said:

Said boat also left a load of crap behind on the bank sadly ,straw that broke the farmers patience

Most farmers have muck spreaders.  I'm sure the area around the mooring would be in urgent need of fertilizing if I were the farmer.

George

10 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Most farmers have muck spreaders.  I'm sure the area around the mooring would be in urgent need of fertilizing if I were the farmer.

George

George i make you right but then the miscreant would be on here or facebook saying how he was picked on for no reason ....roll eyes icon 

10 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

When I moored at Napton the farmer borrowed a muck spreader, it had more omph than his and threw stuff over the hedge onto boats moored above the lock, good job it was nice and firm straw based stuff.

21 hours ago, JV44 said:

There was Faded Green Narrowboat in the Beale Park Reach for some years ,it left Litter Behind and Occupied Mooring Spaces permanently that belong to EVERYONE.can't name and shame but the Boat was not Unique or UBIQUITOUS.

13 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

There was Faded Green Narrowboat in the Beale Park Reach for some years ,it left Litter Behind and Occupied Mooring Spaces permanently that belong to EVERYONE.can't name and shame but the Boat was not Unique or UBIQUITOUS.

Shared a couple of locks them on the K&A just after they got the boat (assuming it hasn't changed hands again), they seamed like nice people, but having witnessed their boating skills I can see why they decided to stay still.

..............Dave

30 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Pete that one turned up left at Goring lock waiting in the summer supposedly broke down ,locky got it moved to wall moorings and its engine was running fine when charging batteries after lock hours 

He was up in court for no licence the next day and they wouldn't let him continue using Unique as someone else had taken the name in the 2 years he was unlicenced ...he was not happy but Karma in action 

He has upset the new manager on Child Beale through constant overstaying and been thrown off Goring field bits by the fishing bailiff a few times for overstaying ,goes to work every day as a gardener i believe just don't like paying and his sort will see mooring gone at even Child Beale eventually i believe 

i bailiff that bit of river for the fishing club [Child Beale ] and as many fishermen are anti boating they will use examples like this fella to cajole land owners to ban mooring ,the fishing syndicate at Cleve lock area certainly did....not that they needed to try hard after that boat did what it did 

Steve

Unique not Unique doh slap head icon

• Greenie 1

Its just the same old story again and again and again, boat dweller behaves badly, "No Mooring" signs go up. Dunno what can be done but its getting worse.

The problem is that its hard to punish the boater, but easy to "punish the location" with No Mooring signs. All boaters suffer except the offender because they just move to a new location. Most offenders are not really boaters, but boat dwellers who have no community spirit and no real interest in boating. In part I suspect its the "me me me" generation, but I have seen a possible new worrying trend emerging, people moving to the canals because they feel they have nowhere else to live, and bringing the attitude "for you its just a hobby but for me its out of necessity and therefore your silly hobby rules don't apply to me."

Its really down to CaRT and the EA to resolve this but deep down I think it actually suits some (not all) senior people within CaRT, just handing ammunition to the "canals don't need boats" and "more rules needed" factions.

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is one electric?

No idea. The one I kept seeing last year was definitely deezul and about 60ft. Then a boat called Ubique came up in convo in the pub and I said I know that boat, then on closer discussion it turned out this was a different Ubique, about 40ft they said, IIRC.

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There are at least two boats on the K&A called "Ubique". One is a dumper. 

By way of an aside, "Ubique" is the motto of two British army regiments - the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery.  It was explained to me by a sapper that for them the motto (which in Latin means " everywhere") refers to their worldwide skills, whereas for the gunners it means "All over the place"!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

By way of an aside, "Ubique" is the motto of two British army regiments - the Royal Engineers and the Royal Artillery.  It was explained to me by a sapper that for them the motto (which in Latin means " everywhere") refers to their worldwide skills, whereas for the gunners it means "All over the place"!

:D

My late father, a Royal Artillery officer, would have appreciated that humour.

Just now, Athy said:

whoops, posted it twice.

Edited by Athy

45 minutes ago, thames s23 said:

is this the boat that many people are talking about.

Yep thats the fella ,downstream of Cleve lock hmmm? what price he is the twat that upset the farmer and saw mooring removed there