Bulkheads

Pastida@1

Featured Posts

Hi.  

I am just doing a bit of pre planning and was wondering what your thoughts of about fitting bulkheads.

Does it make any difference at all if you fit them before or after lining the walls and ceiling. I don't have a problem with cutting them to fit buts it's so much easier to fit them first before linings are added. 

Your thoughts are very much appreciated

John 

I fitted the ceiling and wall linings first.  The more relevant question would be whether to install bulkheads before or after laying the floor.  Of course you will normally lay the floor and then build up off it, but thought should be given to planning how you would lift parts of the floor if you need access (you will, inevitably, need access at some time or other) taking into account bulkhead locations and fitted furniture positions.

Edited by Murflynn

I’ve got a bulkhead head to do as well and have asked this question to myself as well, as my ceiling battens don’t match where I want the bulkhead adding the ceiling first i’ll have to do, the same with the floor as well.   Sides is a little different, and as you may want to remove the lining in between rooms in the future it makes sense to put the bulkhead up first,

my main bulkhead is for around the bathroom, I’m make sure I can easily replace the bathroom floor in the future if I ever need to.

We are having a sailaway and the floor and ballast will already be fitted.  I will have to get under the floor to put shower waste etc.  I can do first fix electrics with or without bulkheads being in place.  I just can't see any reason in making the job harder than it needs to be.  If I need access under the floor in the future I can cut an access panel no prob.  

Keep the replies coming guys.  I have loads more questions to ask before I start.  The boat not ready till November.  Must be nuts starting in the winter lol.  Looking at the best inverter chargers at the moment so may ask a few ideas about that too soon

Regards

John 

Personally I think that lining out and then fitting bulkheads invoves less work, plus you create the possibility to move the bulkheads in the future if you want to re-design the interior layout. The bulkheads on our boat were originally fitted before lining out, so when we came to the re-fit, we wanted to move some of the bulkeads. Not only did that involve removing the lining first, but it also left gaps in the lining which had to be capped. need less to say the new bulkheads were fitted after the lining had been re-organized.

• Greenie 1

I will be reworking Flamingo such that the bulkheads are actually trapped between the cabin linings and the roof linings), (so neitherr of these will be continuous through where the bulkheads are).

My logic for this is that it is an 80 year old baot with riveted sides that haver already had lots of steelwork done on them, so if I ever need to gain access to bits of those sides whilst any further steelwork is done, it will be far easier to remove any required interior panelling if it is not trapped in by bulkheads that have to be removed first.

Probably less of an issue with a modern boat though!

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Personally I think that lining out and then fitting bulkheads invoves less work, plus you create the possibility to move the bulkheads in the future if you want to re-design the interior layout. The bulkheads on our boat were originally fitted before lining out, so when we came to the re-fit, we wanted to move some of the bulkeads. Not only did that involve removing the lining first, but it also left gaps in the lining which had to be capped. need less to say the new bulkheads were fitted after the lining had been re-organized.

That's what I did when I fitted my shell. It was easy and I could move the bulkheads around whilst fitting to enable ore scope with mind changes as I completed the fit out. Also easier to replace if needed later.

Once my bulkheads are fitted I don't intend to move them though. Must make sure they are in the right place lol.  If the boat needs work in 20 years time that's for then.  I intend to do this once only and then live on the cut a nice relaxing life I hope ha ha 

6 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Once my bulkheads are fitted I don't intend to move them though. Must make sure they are in the right place lol.  If the boat needs work in 20 years time that's for then.  I intend to do this once only and then live on the cut a nice relaxing life I hope ha ha 

Ahh good at least you said a nice relaxing life and not a nice cheap one!!

9 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

I have a 30 year old boat and the fact that the bulkheads were fitted after the lining out has created all sorts of problems and still is.  It might be a six and two threes situation but I think it's more likely that some time down the line you will want to remove the floor/linings between the bulkheads rather than move the bulkheads themselves.   

3 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Deffo not cheap but I can at least pack in working.  Ican't wait.  Roll on November lol

Also Good comment Niel2. 

Think I'm going to put the bulkheads in first then do first fix electrics.  

A good month to move aboard. The missus and I moved aboard our first boat in November as liveaboards, it means you are going straight into winter so no false nice weather to break you in gently lol.

Noo chance of that lol.  It's a spray foamed sailaway.  It's a 12 month project and hope to move aboard next year if all goes well.  Sure we won't mind the winter months.  Modern boats are very cozy these days. We have more or less planned the layout.

Reverse layout it is and a pump out toilet ha ha.  Bugger that cassette carrying lark ha ha 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Noo chance of that lol.  It's a spray foamed sailaway.  It's a 12 month project and hope to move aboard next year if all goes well.  Sure we won't mind the winter months.  Modern boats are very cozy these days. We have more or less planned the layout.

Reverse layout it is and a pump out toilet ha ha.  Bugger that cassette carrying lark ha ha 

Bloody hell a double negative!! Reverse layout and a poxy pumpout!! :P

13 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Deffo not cheap but I can at least pack in working.  Ican't wait.  Roll on November lol

Also Good comment Niel2. 

Think I'm going to put the bulkheads in first then do first fix electrics.  

Well first fix is the way most seem to do it, like a house, but I wouldn't.   Actually I wouldn't build a house that way either, I have a very old house as well as an old boat so it is a sore point with me. 

I may be against the grain but hiding wires and water pipes behind linings is causing unnecessary difficulties for the future, in my opinion.   Whether it's a house or a boat, if it's something you intend to keep for a long time having easy access to the services makes a lot of sense to me.  

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Think that's the best idea to do.  It will be easy to get at if needed in the future. 

Cheers

Note that with regard to the gas pipes there is no "if". The BSS inspector will need to view it on every inspection. 

43 minutes ago, cuthound said:

On my boat the cabling run behind removable cornices between the walls and the ceiling. 

Pipework is run behind removable skirting.  Looks good and is relatively easy to gain access.

How is your ground level 12/24v stuff cable routed?

57 minutes ago, Robbo said:

How is your ground level 12/24v stuff cable routed?

The only ground level cabling is in the engine hole, from the batteries to the dc consumer unit and back to the bilge pump. From the dc consumer unit and inverter, through cables run at high level and drop down to the 12 volt pumps,  sockets and the fridge. They run in a seperate high level trunking to the mains cables feeding the sockets.