AINTREE BEETLE...advice sought, owner opinions etc

Shockabilly

Featured Posts

We've been NB-less for a couple of years due to house move, family matters, blah blah blah...looking to return to the fold but with a much shorter NB which will be used as more of a weekend, holiday special etc; a few years ago I looked at the Aintree Beetle when it was launched at Crick Show & quite liked the idea of a 'camper van' on the water...

So, now its been out for a few years I would really appreciate any feedback from owners or experts (we're all that on this forum...ha ha) about the Beetle range & in particular about Aintree Boats...(my last NB was a bespoke Tyler Wilson jobbie).

Thanks in anticipation! 

Edited by Shockabilly

Didn't Aintree Boats introduce the Beetle range to enable them to stay in the boat manufacturing business when the supply of steel became a problem due to the change over of cars to alloy wheels and the subsequent lack of 'hub-caps'.

By introducing the Beetle they could produce twice as many boats using the same number of hub-caps.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Shockabilly said:

We've been NB-less for a couple of years due to house move, family matters, blah blah blah...looking to return to the fold but with a much shorter NB which will be used as more of a weekend, holiday special etc; a few years ago I looked at the Aintree Beetle when it was launched at Crick Show & quite liked the idea of a 'camper van' on the water...

So, now its been out for a few years I would really appreciate any feedback from owners or experts (we're all that on this forum...ha ha) about the Beetle range & in particular about Aintree Boats...(my last NB was a bespoke Tyler Wilson jobbie).

Thanks in anticipation! 

I have never heard of one!! I did some years ago look at an Aintree widebeam and did like it and loved their distinct bow shape. Sorry this is of course again no help, but you new that before you posted :D

I maintain a few of these, very well made and fitted out with everything you need, just on a smaller scale. As you say a waterborne camper van. But one of the few I maintain is used as a live aboard for six months of the year. 

1 minute ago, andyb116 said:

I maintain a few of these, very well made and fitted out with everything you need, just on a smaller scale. As you say a waterborne camper van. But one of the few I maintain is used as a live aboard for six months of the year. 

Thanks to you all with your sound words...yes, I agree they look champion and rather beautiful in their simplicity; we also have a camper van so are used to having to be organised...when we sold our 50 footer NB & cleared it out I couldn't believe how much junk we had accumulated, I think you just fill the space you have & if it aint there it won't get filled!

Hi all,   My name is Mike and this is my first post so bear with me.....       Regarding the Aintree Beetle, I have owned one since January, the first 30 foot model they produced in March  2015.     Not the standard layout as it was built to the original owners design [ two berth with larger galley].   I must say it does everything it says on the tin.   It floats, it goes forward, it goes backwards [well sort of], you can do pirouettes in a winding hole.   I've just taken her from Fenny to Marston Doles and back, she drew many admiring glances, one bloke asked if she was for sale  , another asked if she was electric.      Construction seems pretty robust , interior fitout passes muster for the price [I am a Joiner].   Good little Japanese digger engine  working fairly hard under my feet.    Highly maneuverable when a hire boat comes charging out of a bridge hole on your side of the canal and you have to pass him on the left........

All in all, yes, I'm pretty pleased with it, especially the extra five foot in length.   The standard 25 footer with four berths might be a little, shall we say 'cosy' though!

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

Hi all,   My name is Mike and this is my first post so bear with me.....       Regarding the Aintree Beetle, I have owned one since January, the first 30 foot model they produced in March  2015.     Not the standard layout as it was built to the original owners design [ two berth with larger galley].   I must say it does everything it says on the tin.   It floats, it goes forward, it goes backwards [well sort of], you can do pirouettes in a winding hole.   I've just taken her from Fenny to Marston Doles and back, she drew many admiring glances, one bloke asked if she was for sale  , another asked if she was electric.      Construction seems pretty robust , interior fitout passes muster for the price [I am a Joiner].   Good little Japanese digger engine  working fairly hard under my feet.    Highly maneuverable when a hire boat comes charging out of a bridge hole on your side of the canal and you have to pass him on the left........

All in all, yes, I'm pretty pleased with it, especially the extra five foot in length.   The standard 25 footer with four berths might be a little, shall we say 'cosy' though!

Hi Mike...wonderful & thanks for replying to my post, your advice is invaluable as an owner & Im quite close to you so will PM you to perhaps have a chat.

We've also got a 30-footer, launched in December. It took a while to arrive but we're delighted with it. Seems to be very cleverly designed and well fitted out. Although we initially ordered a 25' with intentions to use it as a day boat and with the odd weekend, we decided an extra 5' would be useful. Glad we did, as my parents have just spent 7 weeks out on it!

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Do ask if you've got any specific questions.

38 minutes ago, Angry Sheep said:

We've also got a 30-footer, launched in December. It took a while to arrive but we're delighted with it. Seems to be very cleverly designed and well fitted out. Although we initially ordered a 25' with intentions to use it as a day boat and with the odd weekend, we decided an extra 5' would be useful. Glad we did, as my parents have just spent 7 weeks out on it!

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Do ask if you've got any specific questions.

Thanks Angry Sheep...just off for a few days in our 'land camper van' on return I'll pm you...thanks again!

20 minutes ago, Shockabilly said:

Thanks Angry Sheep...just off for a few days in our 'land camper van' on return I'll pm you...thanks again!

No problem. If you're on FB, it's worth joining the Aintree Beetle Owners group. They're a friendly bunch and will welcome any questions you have.

• 1 year later...

Another 3k has been added to the price of the 25' as a new build, bringing it to £37,000 (and something). They are nice boats with a good fit out but it seems a tad pricey for such a short boat, especially considering they were £29,000 only 2-3 years ago.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Another 3k has been added to the price of the 25' as a new build, bringing it to £37,000 (and something). They are nice boats with a good fit out but it seems a tad pricey for such a short boat, especially considering they were £29,000 only 2-3 years ago.

Blimey!

Before we bought our 45 foot pre-loved boat 3 years ago I was seriously considering buying one of those and I remember it being £29k.

So glad we didn't though - at the time I was being told we would only use the boat for a couple of 2 to 3 week holidays per year plus weekends. I've stretched and stretched this over the last 3 years and have just managed to get away with spending the last 2 months on the boat. I don't think I'd have got away with that in a 25 footer! Or wanted to.

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Blimey!

Before we bought our 45 foot pre-loved boat 3 years ago I was seriously considering buying one of those and I remember it being £29k.

So glad we didn't though - at the time I was being told we would only use the boat for a couple of 2 to 3 week holidays per year plus weekends. I've stretched and stretched this over the last 3 years and have just managed to get away with spending the last 2 months on the boat. I don't think I'd have got away with that in a 25 footer! Or wanted to.

My main problem with these is the very small back deck area. I know it is to maximise internal space, but I do think there is a lot to be said for a good and comfy amount of space in the helm area (preferably with comfy seating), especially if you spend a lot of time cruising! 

1 hour ago, Shockabilly said:

Well Peter, that's better service than Amazon Prime...what a star you are! Thank you so much...I'll buzz the number to find out more...looks like it needs a bit of TLC, but nothing a good blacking wouldn't sort out.

Again, thank you

Remember how long its been up for sale