Overwater to Leeds

Peter Thornton

Featured Posts

We are planning a trip from Overwater Marina, on the Shroppie near Nantwich, to Leeds via the Bridgewater and Leeds Liverpool. Does anyone have any tips around dodgy areas, safe moorings etc?

We know the Leeds Liverpool between Gargrave and Saltaire but are new to the rest of the route and have heard that there are areas around Burnley and the outskirts of Leeds that are best got through in daylight.

also keen to learn about the good bits, things to see, pubs to visit etc etc!

We have 5 weeks to get there and back.

I'd say most areas are best got through in daylight...

I think I know what you are getting at though, to begin with most folk would probably want to do the Leeds section overnighting in Rodley with an early start the following morning, but I don't think it's the bandit country some would have you believe.  

As for the rest, well I wouldn't stop overnight in Blackburn, we normally moor between bridge 104AA and 106, there is, IIRC a nice mooring with rings just between 104A and 104C if no-one has nabbed it.  

Most would time the ascent of the Wigan flight to moor just beyond the top lock, the area around Haigh Hall is nice as well.   Last I heard there were issues with Wigan locks because of water shortages I need to check this as well as we are heading that way later in the month.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. People say the Wigan flight is tough and rough but the only time I have done it all pounds were full and we had no problem. (we did enter the top lock at 7am and we were mob handed so were down in time for a late breakfast on the Leigh Branch by about 10am)

Blackburn and Burnley are not places you would want to overnight in but neither is too big so its not a problem.

There are a few safe places to moor in Leeds but you wouldn't want to overnight between Newlay Locks and Granary Wharf.

It will be a great trip with a huge variety. I love the variety of paddle gear you get up on the L and L especially the chough paddles. The best advice I have had to open them is to sneak up on them when they are not looking and then take them by surprise!

Have Fun!

Post on here to let us know how you get on!

Wigan locks are still on restricted passage, the top and bottom locks are opened at 8-9am and 2-3pm only this still allows you seven hours max to transit the flight and most crews will do it in about five, though it would be nice to arrange to go through with another boat.  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/10910/wigan-flight-and-leigh-branch-lock-1

Thanks everyone.

With your comments in mind I've made a provisional plan as follows:

Middlewich

The Stanley Arms (Near Anderton Lift)

Trafford Centre (Safe moorings?)

Wigan Junction (Are there good moorings near here?)

Botany Bay (Assume safe mooring?) Or near Haigh Hall if not

Bridge 104 area

Barrowford

Gargrave

Skipton

Sislden

Bingley

Saltaire

Rodley

Leeds (Basin or Visitor Moorings?)

Any thoughts on the above? Are there any gems I've missed?

Looking at the possibility of a side trip into Manchester on the way back, depending on time. Or maybe into Liverpool. Comments welcome.

6 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Wigan Junction (Are there good moorings near here?)

Looking at the possibility of a side trip into Manchester on the way back, depending on time. Or maybe into Liverpool. Comments welcome.

There are some good moorings below Henhurst Lock and its only a few minutes walk from there into the Town Centre where there are some pretty good Pubs.

Detouring into Liverpool is really worth it - but you'll need to book your passage in and out - and has been pointed out on another thread the canal between Wigan and Liverpool is really rather pretty (and there is the Rufford Branch too).

10 minutes ago, StephenA said:

There are some good moorings below Henhurst Lock and its only a few minutes walk from there into the Town Centre where there are some pretty good Pubs.

Yes, I see those now. Only problem is it means going through the lock to come back again in the morning and I'm wondering what the ones the other side of the junction are like? 

How many boats normally go up the flight I assume that the lock keepers keep it open until all the boats have passed through?

45 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Yes, I see those now. Only problem is it means going through the lock to come back again in the morning and I'm wondering what the ones the other side of the junction are like? 

How many boats normally go up the flight I assume that the lock keepers keep it open until all the boats have passed through?

The Wigan flight is challenging, a different beast altogether from say Hatton.  That's why it's good to have another boat with you.  As regards the locked gates, as I understand it you have to be present at the time the locks are unlocked, they will not wait for boats to clear the flight.  If you think you are not going to make it by 3pm the idea is you moor overnight at Rose bridge, as I understand it.   I don't think you have much choice but to moor at Wigan as Poolstock locks don't open until 8am either.  Henhurst isn't affected but it does mean a very early start. 

Don't know about mooring in Manchester we always blast on through to Leigh or beyond, it's is a fast canal they don't call it the Bridgewater expressway for nothing..

We've met a few folk recently who have gone through to Liverpool and highly recommend it, saying the support from CRT is wonderful.  It's a shame then they stopped providing assistance  up/down the Wigan flight.

Trafford centre moorings are perfectly safe but a little dull. I would either stop short at Sale, go on to Worsley or divert into Castlefield in Manchester.

Mooring at the junction in Wigan is again fine assuming you're staying on board. The moorings below Henhurst are better but you have to go twice through what was one of the slowest locks on the system to get there and back. Alternatively you could moor at Dover lock and set off era,y to get to Poolstock for opening time.

Again mooring at Botany Bay OK but tyre are better choices just a bit further up either below or above Johnson's Hillock locks, one of the best on the network. Formula pub at the bottom, a better one at the top and some beautiful rural moorings a bit further up if you want peace and quiet. You won't get that at Botany Bay as it's next to the M61.

Both Blackburn and Burnley are much improved. Eanam Wharf in Blackburn is safe and very close to the town centre and the same applies to the Weaver's Triangle in Burnley.

We moored here when we needed a mooring near the top of Wigan (we were heading down) .. no problems, nice peaceful mooring if you like middle of nowhere moorings.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wigan/@53.5632562,-2.6088736,339m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b04345517a4d3:0x5702a66b03f2d953!8m2!3d53.5450645!4d-2.6325074

Would be interested to know when you are setting out as we are doing almost the exact same journey from Overwater to the other side of Leeds via the L&L though only one way and are leaving Overwater on 22nd August.  We did the Wigan flight in both directions in April and it wasn't as bad as we had been warned. We shared the downhill journey with another boat but came back up on our own which was much harder work and far slower.  I would concur with the advice about mooring at Botany Bay. It's safe enough but very noisy due to proximity to the motorway. You can get much nicer moorings travelling just a bit further up or near the next set of locks.