Correct charging set up - sterling power products

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I've read many posts relating to this but what I have seems slightly different...but only slightly.

i have just bought a boat that with the exception of having a split charge diode arrangement seemed to have its charging regime all figured out.

Battery Banks:

1 port battery 12v

2 tabs battery 12v

3 house system 12v

4 diesel heater 24v

both the engines appear to be put through a split charge diode to charge the house system and their respective starting batteries which Is leading to a lower voltage than I'd like which assuming is volt drop across the diode at the house system. The 24v system is charged by a 12v - 24v battery charger by sterling. The house system has a sterling inverter charger fitted.

My question is what is the best set up for this so that I can charge batteries from either engine? I was originally thinking a sterling 2 input 4 output. Zero volt drop splitter....but with the battery to battery charger is that actually the best. As I have now also seen alternator to battery chargers that split the charge and claim to fully load the alternator or similar to charge quicker.

I'm sure everyone has a different view based on their own ideals or good experience but would very much value your input.

thanks

Dave

Edited by Bantam_dave21
Typo

Tabs battery? Would that be for electric trim tabs?

You say "respective engine batteries" but only list one engine battery. Which is it, one or two engine batteries.

My choice would be assuming only 1 alternator, is main charging lead from alternator direct to domestic (house) batteries and a VSR connecting them to the engine battery.

Once we know what the Tabs battery is all about we can advise further but I suspect it will involve another VSR.

1 hour ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

...........both the engines...........

So - twin engine set up, each with an alternator ?

Where do the alternators feed?

(each one to a 'central' split charger, or each to a separate split charge diode ,or ..........)

I have twin engine, each engine has an alternator, each alternator goes to a split charge relay. Each relay feeds one output to the relevant starter battery, and the other output to the domestic bank of 6 x 230Ah batteries. 

Does that sound anything like yours ?

Apologies everyone tabs should have been stbd and my phone has auto corrected !!

Each alternator 'appears' currently to be through a split charge diode feeding the house and its respective engine bank. 

I want to remove the diodes as I appear to be getting volt drop across it reducing my alternator charge voltage. The house battery only appears to ever reach >13v on mains from the inverter charger. But want to remove the diodes and replace with the right solution. A separate bank in future for a bow* thruster is not completely out of the question hence was looking at the 4 output, 2 alternator input splitter which would leave me a spare for future use. But doesn't take into account if the 24v bank currently has the best solution for charging it.

Edited by Bantam_dave21
Yet another typo 'bow thruster' not Abbie thruster lol

I'd do what Tony suggests (which is close to what Alan has), namely both alternators wired direct to the house bank plus 2 VSRs feeding the two starter motors. 

Simple, straightforward and effective. 

Oh, and another VSR for the heater batt. 

Edited by WotEver
Spurious worm

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

I'd do what Tony suggests (which is close to what Alan has), namely both alternators wired direct to the house bank plus 2 VSRs feeding the two starter motors. 

Simple, straightforward and effective. 

Oh, and another VSR for the heater batt. 

The Hester bank is 24v...

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks for quickly clarifying Tabs.

No worries- me and autocorrect don't get on well lol

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks for quickly clarifying Tabs.

No need to remove the diode splitter if either you use one of CS low voltage drop units and / or put a sense wire from the battery back to the BMS. It's what I do and seems to work fine - for me at least.

Your arrangement is complicated by having a split voltage domestic circuit - where a block diagram with model numbers would help!

CS has a couple of diodes on eBay now and the usually go for silly money.

Hiya,

Thanks for your feedback folks.

The 24v bank is for an ebersplutter hydronic unit, 12kw I think so I figured 24V was perhaps the only option at this output hence the previous owner had no option but it does make it somewhat messy! Not to mention the extra space I would have to beef up the house bank.

The B2B charger is a sterling power BB122450 which appears to need an alternator input so maybe better with a battery maintainer...that said I haven't used the heater in winter yet so a maintainer might not be up to the drain. The splitting diode is a sterling power D702A3 - 70A 2 input 3 output but I assumed the volt drop would eventually lead to an inability to fully charge the batteries. Inverter charger is a Sterling combi quasi PCQ121600. It is my intention to upgrade this to pure wave when other things stop breaking - stbd starter went down last week...big screwdriver fixed !!

PS there is no BMS as such, just me - I use a voltmeter on the house bank and run the engines when I see it lower than I'd like. The engine batteries are always isolated when moored out of the marina.

34 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

No need to remove the diode splitter if either you use one of CS low voltage drop units and / or put a sense wire from the battery back to the BMS. It's what I do and seems to work fine - for me at least.

Your arrangement is complicated by having a split voltage domestic circuit - where a block diagram with model numbers would help!

CS has a couple of diodes on eBay now and the usually go for silly money.

CS low voltage drop units?

Thanks.

Dave

Edited by Bantam_dave21
added ...PS

1 hour ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Hiya,

Thanks for your feedback folks.

The 24v bank is for an ebersplutter hydronic unit, 12kw I think so I figured 24V was perhaps the only option at this output hence the previous owner had no option but it does make it somewhat messy! Not to mention the extra space I would have to beef up the house bank.

The B2B charger is a sterling power BB122450 which appears to need an alternator input so maybe better with a battery maintainer...that said I haven't used the heater in winter yet so a maintainer might not be up to the drain. The splitting diode is a sterling power D702A3 - 70A 2 input 3 output but I assumed the volt drop would eventually lead to an inability to fully charge the batteries. Inverter charger is a Sterling combi quasi PCQ121600. It is my intention to upgrade this to pure wave when other things stop breaking - stbd starter went down last week...big screwdriver fixed !!

PS there is no BMS as such, just me - I use a voltmeter on the house bank and run the engines when I see it lower than I'd like. The engine batteries are always isolated when moored out of the marina.

CS low voltage drop units?

Thanks.

Dave

Those two units on fleabay at the mo: are 12v units so not suitable for your current needs, but they do come up pretty regularly (perhaps at the end of season....)

Exactly what needs to be done depends on how you're going to get there. For an example a Sterling Alternator  to Battery charger has its own management, a battery to battery charger - I've no idea. For me they're all Inventions of The Devil, but folks seem to like them.

One you go from one voltage to another with battery charging then there's a certain amount of juggling to do... However, go onto the Stering site and read up Charles' manuals. They can be quite helpful at the nth. reading....