Cropredy area during the festival - getting through and mooring

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Derek Porteous said:

Ah... go on. Be partial, Athy!! Is it fair or not?

Incidentally we are leaving our boat in the marina there for a week at the end of this month. Hadn’t checked yet how far the walk is to the nearest pub. We will be long gone by festival time. I do like the village, so a few days there will be fun

Several minutes to the two nearest pubs, enjoy!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

As I said, I'm impartial.?

The walk is not that far - perhaps a mile from the marina entrance, along Claydon Road to the Brasenose Arms*. But it's a big marina so, depending whereabouts you mooring is, you may need to add another quarter-mile to that.

The village has some historic bits and does repay a good fossick around. It also has quite a network of twitchels/ twitterns/ alleys/ entries/ slipes/ jennels/ ginnles or what you will, so you can get a good view of people's back gardens as you stroll about, also the stone formation which gives a side road its name of 'Cup and Saucer'.

*There is another pub in the village, but you needn't bother your head about that.

The Red Lion is probably about the same distance and a damn sight easier to get served that the Brasenose if there's a band on.  

1 hour ago, Derek Porteous said:

Incidentally we are leaving our boat in the marina there for a week at the end of this month. Hadn’t checked yet how far the walk is to the nearest pub. We will be long gone by festival time. I do like the village, so a few days there will be fun

Several minutes to the two nearest pubs, enjoy!

36 minutes ago, Chop! said:

The Red Lion is probably about the same distance and a damn sight easier to get served that the Brasenose if there's a band on.  

When it's open, possibly - though the bar is not big at the Lion, so if they have a band on it can be a squeeze. It was closed for at least several months, then Steve from the Bell in Boughton (and owner of Gardner 2L2-engined "tug" Siberia) took it over, word in the village is that he will be leaving soon and it may close again.

We went in two weeks ago and they appeared to be running stocks down, only one bitter on sale for example.

So I stand by my comment.

Edited by Athy

4 hours ago, rgreg said:

It's a pity, as I would have been interested. I make the annual pilgrimage to Cropredy but only went by boat in 2009 where I was the most northerly boat in the line, way up past Varney's lock; it was ok walking down to the festival but not so much fun walking back after a few beers! I'm planning a trip down by boat this year but don't fancy hanging around there for a week in advance to get a decent mooring if that's what's required.

given the marina is there now, booking a mooring there would be the thing to do if you want to be closer, and not take pot luck.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

given the marina is there now, booking a mooring there would be the thing to do if you want to be closer, and not take pot luck.

I doubt you’ll get in the marina festival week and if you can be prepared for rather expensive charge. 

4 hours ago, Derek Porteous said:

I have always thought that Cropredy Marina was crying out for a footbridge over to the towpath - rather like the temporary one at Crick show - only more 'in keeping' with local structures.

Something akin to the 'Wedding Bridge' up by Wormleighton hill.

1 hour ago, ianali said:

I doubt you’ll get in the marina festival week and if you can be prepared for rather expensive charge. 

I would assume that if you had booked early enough you could, and of course you would expect to pay handsomely for that, they are a business and they will exploit the demand as much as the market will stand.  Don’t CRT charge a few hundred for mooring on a towpath for the Crick weekend, I don’t really see why they don’t do the same here to be honest, but the marina can.