GRP top - roof rib query

Featured Posts

I'm renovating a 1976 Harborough Marine narrowboat. The top and sides are GRP. The ceiling has a series of curved ribs that support it. The ribs are made up from pieces of ply cut in a curve and glued together to make a double or in some places a quadruple thick piece. One of these has suffered from rain damage at the end and needs replacing - that's easy enough - but I can 't see how they are fastened into the roof - any ideas?

IIRC from years back of the ones used by several company's SUC Bijou & Teddesley  the tops were layed up in the outside mould & the pre made roof beams were wriggled into place while the grp lay up was still wet Sorry don't know if the Harbourgh ones were the same

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

IIRC from years back of the ones used by several company's SUC Bijou & Teddesley  the tops were layed up in the outside mould & the pre made roof beams were wriggled into place while the grp lay up was still wet Sorry don't know if the Harbourgh ones were the same

That makes sense. I guess if replacing one you'd sit it on resin and then glass over it?

Can you not just rip out the rotten ones, or all of them and replace with poly foam and laminate over, lot better than ply.  

Like this brace/support here.

If not as Tony says use timber and lamoinate in place, make it strong as hell to walk on and better than adhesives i would think.  

20161015_122722.jpg