Where's all the boats?

Midnight

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

The rest are on the Western end of the K&A.  Complete chaos on Saturday and Sunday at Bradford on Avon.

No they're not, they are all up on the four counties ring. 

I was at Great Haywood at the weekend and a boat went past about every three or four minutes all afternoon.

A different boat every time I mean, not the same boat going backwards and forwards all day just to annoy me :D

I used to think the southern Oxford was busy but this was a whole nother level of busyness. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

We are on the Shroppie heading down towards Wolves. I always thought the Shroppie was a really popular canal but its surprisingly quiet. Passed a fair few hire boats on the lock flights yesterday but only three or four boats today, maybe we are just out of synch with the hire fleets?

Middlewich arm was also less busy than usual though Middlewich itself was full. I really think the canal does need more boats otherwise its an open goal for the cyclists.

.............Dave

Been quite busy on the GU the last few days, anywhere between 20 - 30 boats a day, mind you theres a fair few festivals/gatherings/fun days etc around, so lots of trade boats on the move as well as the Wyven fleet of hire boats crab crawling along:giggles:

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No they're not, they are all up on the four counties ring. 

I was at Great Haywood at the weekend and a boat went past about every three or four minutes all afternoon.

A different boat every time I mean, not the same boat going backwards and forwards all day just to annoy me :D

I used to think the southern Oxford was busy but this was a whole nother level of busyness. 

You should have come round to Tixal, there was an early rush of boats Sunday morning but then seemed to go quiet. One boater said Colwich lock had been damaged and was going to be closed to repair the top gate.

I'm on the south Oxford a few miles south of Banbury. There were 4 of us lined up to go through locks today but we didn't meet many coming the other way and haven't had many go past whilst moored.

I expect to be going through Cropredy on Wednesday and, having not been through at festival time before, I expect I'll find that's where all the other boats are.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Came from Bugsworth yesterday morning, now at Uppermill only passed 4 boats going the opposite way. I know it's crap weather but it is August?

Don't they only take 4 boats in each direction through Standedge Tunnel per day? That is probably where the 4 you saw had come from, why else would you struggle up the HNC if you don't go through the tunnel:rolleyes:

I've just come back from a two week trip from the North Oxford, via Fazeley, Birmingham and the Wolverhampton 21 then back, and would say the amount of traffic was about what I'd expect on those canals. Not bad considering the weather was mostly a rapidly changing mix of showers and sunshine, sometimes very wet.

I finished off with a trip from Braunston to Wigrams Turn and back on Saturday evening and Sunday, lots of boats on the move there as you'd expect in decent weather.

There were more than six boats queuing for Stanthorne lock on the Middlewich Branch at one point yesterday afternoon, all heading towards Barbridge. This, to be fair, was aggravated by a couple of boaters faffing around like headless chickens with the ground paddles, so delaying everyone else. Surprisingly no boats passed going the other way in the hour we were waiting there.