Need a new fridge.

rustydiver

Featured Posts

A few weeks it all worked fine just looked today  in the freezer and it's all defrosting. I've got a 12v shoreline fridge freezer. It's on I can hear the compressor. I'm assuming it's been on the boat forever so 2003. 

What do I go for next  we don't live aboard just holidays  12v or 240v  

2 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

A few weeks it all worked fine just looked today  in the freezer and it's all defrosting. I've got a 12v shoreline fridge freezer. It's on I can hear the compressor. I'm assuming it's been on the boat forever so 2003. 

What do I go for next  we don't live aboard just holidays  12v or 240v  

The age old question. I have recently gone mains again, I vastly prefer them. The latest ones use little if any more leccy than a 12 volt one, they are better built there are millions more sizes etc to choose from and they are eighteen billion times cheaper to purchase. You do need a good quality inverter to minimise leccy useage but if you have one fitted then for me its mains everytime.

Thanks I have a victron inverter fitted to the boat would just need to find a local electrician to run a spur for me no plug near the fridge. But by fitting 240v one the money saved could go towards some solar panels. 

1 minute ago, rustydiver said:

Thanks I have a victron inverter fitted to the boat would just need to find a local electrician to run a spur for me no plug near the fridge. But by fitting 240v one the money saved could go towards some solar panels. 

Absoutely a no brainer in my opinion. Just make sure the inverter is big enough to cope with the half second surge on start up of the fridge.

3 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

Ahh just looked and forgot there's a plug by the washing machine which I've never used. 

When buying a 240v one what do I look for amps, watts etc. I'm not into electrics. 

If you go on for instance AO.com website all fridges are stated in kwh per year useage and the difference is VAST between many machines. Mine is a quite considerably larger fridge inside than the 12 volt one was and uses 93 kwh. With a freezer compartment they all use considerably more than without.

Thanks again. 

Im looking but need something up to 90cm high to fit under the counter. 

Yes same as mine which fits under the worktop. Its a " Hisense " larder fridge as I don't need a freezer compartment. Its a good bit of kit and was about 160 notes from ao if you take a peek.

3 minutes ago, rustydiver said:

How about this

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridges/essentials-cuc50w15-70-30-fridge-freezer-white-10116567-pdt.html

not a bad price compared to a 12v one. The money saved can go towards solar and new batteries. 

164 kwh is nearly double what my fridge uses!! that's a humungous amount more BUT if you are hobby boating and have battery capacity it doesn't realy matter and soooooo much cheaper than 12 volt stuff.

Thanks I'll look into more detail when we get home at the kWh. Maybe a fridge with ice box. 

In the meantime I'll keep drinking my ice cream. 

Look on the bright and most important side!! the fridge bit is still working so you can keep ya beer cold :D

1 hour ago, rustydiver said:

Thanks again. 

Im looking but need something up to 90cm high to fit under the counter. 

Don't you mean something less than 90cm high? The heat at the back has to get out somewhere, and the usual route is over the top of the fridge and out under the front of the worktop.

We are going to be in the same situation shortly .Fridge is fine but when we had our boat saftey in the spring the door magically fell off and was placed back on by either the gas engineer or the chap that did the saftey cert . Think one of them tried pulling it out to see what was behind it ..... nothing , I put it back on quite a few times now but one day I wont be able too , and the bottom corner that side is starting to give way . Anyway having a12 volt fridge enables us to turn off the inverter when 240v isn't required thus saving quite a lot on the batteries during the night and day if we arn't cruising, so that's the way i will be going when the time comes , 12 volt. Bunny 

15 minutes ago, Bunny said:

Anyway having a12 volt fridge enables us to turn off the inverter when 240v isn't required thus saving quite a lot on the batteries during the night and day if we arn't cruising, so that's the way i will be going when the time comes , 12 volt. Bunny 

I think the mains fridge/inverter aficionados generally switch them off at night to save battery power and some 12v fridge owners do that too.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I think the mains fridge/inverter aficionados generally switch them off at night to save battery power.

I NEVER switch my fridge off wether its a crappy 12 volt one or a mains one its always made me laugh that peeps think its a good idea on leccy saving. I have only lived aboard 28 years so as a novice I have realised that during the night the fridge door is never opened so  the cold isn't lost and the thing only cuts in very ocasionaly so absolutely daft to turn it off.

• Greenie 2

56 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I NEVER switch my fridge off wether its a crappy 12 volt one or a mains one its always made me laugh that peeps think its a good idea on leccy saving. I have only lived aboard 28 years so as a novice I have realised that during the night the fridge door is never opened so  the cold isn't lost and the thing only cuts in very ocasionaly so absolutely daft to turn it off.

I've NEVER done it either - just relaying what I've read on here about what others do. I've only lived aboard boats for 15 years so I'm still a bit wet behind the ears. I have a gas fridge as I prefer to change a gas bottle every couple of months rather than run a fridge from the batteries, but that's just a personal preference. Once I get some solar panels that may change and I'll run the fridge from the mains.

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've NEVER done it either - just relaying what I've read on here about what others do. I've only lived aboard boats for 15 years so I'm still a bit wet behind the ears. I have a gas fridge as I prefer to change a gas bottle every couple of months rather than run a fridge from the batteries, but that's just a personal preference. Once I get some solar panels that may change and I'll run the fridge from the mains.

I still would prefer the old gas fridge I had on my first boat but allas no one seems to do one any more. You are right changing the gas bottle is a slight chore but it save ever having to worry about state of battery charge to keep the beer cold :)

Turning our inverter only turns off the 240v not the 12v . we leave the 12v fridge and a separate 12v freezer on 24/7 . except if we leave the boat in a marina for any length of time 3 wks + , then we turn the fridge off but leave the freezer on . Bunny 

With a similar decision last year, and after a lot of research, I bit the bullet and paid the five hundred quid for a Waeco 12v fridge with a small freezer compartment.

A 240v fridge would obviously have been cheaper, but leaving the inverter on 24/7 was a cost/hassle/inconvenience I wasn't prepared to incur.

i accept that I have an inefficient Sterling Pro Combi S which uses 4A when on but powering nothing, (The standby setting is less than useless!). However, I'm sure my decision would have been the same had I had a more efficient inverter.

Having made the decision, opened my wallet, and bought the thing, the expense is now history, I like the fridge, and I am delighted not to have run the inverter 24/7 :)

1 hour ago, theodon said:

Any update? What fridge did you get?

Nothing yet. I'm still away in the boat. Will have a good look when I get home in the next few days where I can look on the computer rather than this stupid phone. 

Not rushing into it still not sure which way was thinking 240v when we go out the inverter is always on. Will only be using the boat for a few nights at a time until October so can cope with a cool box till then. But will keep you all informed.