Our new adventure day 16

Debs

Featured Posts

Last night was wonderful. We sat and watched the bats flying along the surface of the water catching insects as they were hatching. I can honestly say that I have never seen so many bats in one place it was amazing! We also played cards but the least said about that, the better! 

We woke up to, what promised to be, a beautiful day, according to the barometer. I even got my legs out and put shorts on only to change back again, 5 minutes later, into long trousers and a hoodie. We set off up the river to Eynsham lock where we took care of all our services before entering the lock. We were then greeted by one of the superb lock keepers on the Thames. In general, most of the lock keepers are very friendly and chatty and the more they get to see you, the friendlier they are. We then made our way up to Pinkhill lock. This has now been taken over by the son of the last lock keepers who are enjoying a well earned retirement. Again, we had a good chat about life in general and chickens. Basically, there used to be chickens running free range on the lock. The last two, sadly, departed this world last year and no more have been acquired as yet. Just after a Pinkhill lock there is a left hand bend and a rather nice mooring spot. After Mick doing a fantastic 180 degrees, we moored up at the end of the mooring space. Making sure that there was loads of room behind us for, at least, two more boats of average size.  Low and behold, not long afterwards, another boat turns up and plonks itself right in the middle of the space that was left! So now the space has only got two boats in it. Let's hope that no one is desperate to moor up for the night! ERGH! 

So, with our hour or two cruising done for the day we set about doing other things. First of all, the directors chairs came out. If there is a slim chance that the sun is going to shine, they are coming out! Ever since we bought them it has rained on every journey that we've had! We are not going to lose this one! No way! 

The wind had picked up a bit but it still wasn't a problem. The sun was still shining, all be it, coldly. We had lunch then set about doing all the little jobs that you never get round to doing unless you are on a lazy day, in which case, you work harder than normal.  Over the years that we've been travelling up and down the canals and rivers, we have picked up all the Brass door plaques for wherever we've been. However, we have never put them on a boat as they don't come with screws. I can't get my head around why screws are not supplied with them. You get screws with everything these days. Even children's toys are screwed into their boxes (???) so why don't these plaques come with screws? Never mind! When we bought this boat, I decided that the plaques would be given pride of place on the doors, so everyone can see how well travelled we are. I went onto EBay and ordered some little brass screws. Then, once they had arrived, I ordered a bigger size in the hope that these ones would fit! Oh well, third time lucky it is then! So, we put the plaques on, cleaned the gullys, filled the propeller greaser up, got the water out of the engine pit, again and cleaned one of the air vent domes. Lazy day!

After dinner we listened to our neighbours engine running for, what seemed like, hours then went for a lovely walk around Farmoor Resevoir. Unfortunately, to access the reservoir from the river, you have to climb over a locked gate. This is something that's getting harder to do every year. We are now back on the boat, watching the full moon and waiting to hear the sound of the owls hunting. We may play cards if I can find some loose change down the side of the sofa but most of all, we will be enjoying the total peacefulness of this place.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG